Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
03/28/24 at 05:47:26
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using DBA at Bare Minimum (Read 6285 times)
JULIOALFARO50
Ex Member

Using DBA at Bare Minimum
04/17/03 at 13:42:28

Like to start by saying how useful this forum really is.  I thank you all that post and ask questions.
Here is my situation:
We are currently using DBA at bare minimum, by just using the invoicing part of DBA , using item codes of Finish Product. This is our current routine:

We make copies of Sales Acknowledgement for production at which at that time our plant manager writes himself a master Finish Product list.  This list of items includes the features and options items, which is vital information to him.
Plant manager makes the product off this list, customer will calls, and the Invoice is issued.

WOULD LIKE TO DO:
Issue SO,
Convert WO at that precise time.  
Print out a Master List (Report) of opened WO (just like the WO schedule Report but including item description and features and options)
After production gets finished enter into Finish Product WO-I.

This would give me a simple running inventory, using Backflushing and Light Manufacturing.  

Am I on the right track? Does this seem logical?
Is there such a report that includes my opened WO on a list that include all my description and my features and options within DBA?  Do u recommend someone to make me one if the report does not exist?

Thanks a million for all the great information you provide to us.  
Julio Alfaro
Enchantment Inc.

IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Re: Using DBA at Bare Minimum
Reply #1 - 04/17/03 at 14:50:02

Well.....you could employ the services of a consultant with 5 years of experience with DBA (as well as other ERP systems) and a good deal of practical Best Practices knowledge.  And this consultant should probably have a business education background.

Hmmmm....sounds like me! Grin

If you want to contact me directly, please feel free.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #2 - 04/17/03 at 15:17:27

While hiring a consultant may be the most cost effective thing to do, it doesn't sound like what you are trying to do will be all that unusual. A careful study of the manual (or help file, as I guess the case is now) and some hours spent playing in the sandbox (making experimental transactions using a COPY of your company's real data) can be very profitable.

As for the report that you are looking for relating open WOs to SOs with F&Os you may be better off hiring someone (such as Lorne - though I can't personally recommend him as I've never had him do anything - sorry, Lorne).

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #3 - 04/18/03 at 09:26:21

We started using DBA (as you say at the bare minium) in the spring of 1997.    
We slowly evolvec to WO & Routings & just recently PO.
  Looking back...it was not hard,although I was scared everytime we implemented something new.

I can't answer any of the hi-tech sophisticated questions, but I am more than willing to help you with the basic stuff.   (Sometimes its harder to ask a question that seems too simple)

I encourage you to plunge ahead.  The way DBA is designed makes it easy to slowly evolve in its use.

Laura

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
fredh
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/22/03 at 06:31:00

We dove right in with the whole package. We hired a consultant, used Microsoft Access to import data from our old program and used Crystal Reports to develop our own custom reports and forms.  

I'd recommend this route to anyone who wants to get the most out of DBA in a short period of time.

You'll make mistakes with or without a consultant; but having someone to guide you through the forest is very comforting for everyone involved. Wink

IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #5 - 04/22/03 at 14:58:22

Thanks Fred!!! Grin

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
JULIOALFARO50
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/23/03 at 10:29:42

I want to thank everybody for their great advise and their supportive responds.  
For the moment I really would like to have a report like  the Work Order Schedule Report (WO-L-B) that can give me  all the same information along with the item description and its feature and options.  Is there such a report out there or can someone out there make me one?

Thanks

IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #7 - 04/23/03 at 11:04:36

Can certainly make something for you in MS Access.  You would need to have Access 2000 or XP to run it.

Might have to trim a couple of fields out that are in the WO-L-B report in order to get it to fit properly on the page, but it can certainly be done.

Another advantage to using Access is that in the on-screen view (the user interface) we can produce it in a column-row view (like Excel) and you can sort ascending or descending by ANY column.  There are a lot of other features available such as the ability to graph the results, email the report, or email a "snapshot" of the graph, etc.

Also, using a firm from Canada gives you the advantage of the exchange rate. Wink

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print