Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/15/24 at 07:28:11
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phantom Assemblies or Work Orders? (Read 2050 times)
Mike@TEK
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Phantom Assemblies or Work Orders?
05/13/03 at 11:36:06

Will try to explain by hypothetical:
We like to pre-build wagon wheels for our wagon assemblies.  The wheel assembly, part # WHEEL, would consist of three parts, RIM, TIRE and BEARING.  The assembly of the part WHEEL would take place in-house. To properly and efficiently handle this, would we:
1)      Create a work order for WHEEL?  I know this would work correctly, but it also would add multiple work orders to the shop floor  production list.
2)      Create a phantom assembly for WHEEL?  The only issue I see with this is, how would the labor for WHEEL assembly be captured (by adding a L-type labor item  # to the WHEEL BOM)?
3)      Make-Froms seem to be not applicable to this scenerio since they are defined as an item that receives an outside process.

Thanks
Mike

IP Logged
RAGINE

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Phantom Assemblies or Work Orders?
Reply #1 - 05/13/03 at 12:39:33

Hi Mike,
We also pre-build LOTS of WHEELS in our Company.
We have never used Phantom Assembly's, so I'm not sure how they work. The way we handle it is to create a WO for WHEEL(type A Assembly), we include Labor - type L# with-in the WHEEL BOM. At the end of the day when production is turned in for 1000 WHEELS, I enter the WO & Enter Finished Production. So far this seems to work for us.
Ragine

Ragine Hendrickson
Manufacturing Systems Inc/TRU-CATCH TRAPS
ISTECH 2004.1 10/31/06 UPDATE
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #2 - 05/13/03 at 12:42:54

I have had a few requests for a "quick Work Order" program which sounds like it would work here.  Enter the part number and quantity made and have the program automatically create the work order, backflush the components and put the wheels into stock and close the work order.  Interested?

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Mike@TEK
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 05/13/03 at 12:55:38

Lynn, yes we would be interested.  Am I correct to imply from your reply that phantom assemblies would not work in this case due to the labor aspect?

Ragine, thanks for your advice.  One further question (for Lynn also):  do you enter partial qtys into finished production, that is, do you enter qtys that do not complete the work order?  I ask because we generally partially complete work orders through a given time period, so if this is the case with your company, do you enter the qtys in at standard cost or pro-rated actual cost?  On our top-level products (the WAGON) we enter partials in at standard cost, but with WHEEL assys, I think I might be better off entering at a pro-rated actual cost.

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #4 - 05/13/03 at 13:05:51

No, the labor is not the issue.  Phantom assemblies would not work if you need to track how many wheel assemblies you have in stock available to be put into wagons because as phantoms, they are never really made.  If you are true make to order and all wheels are predestined for a given work order for the Wagon, then you could use phantoms.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
fredh
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/13/03 at 13:21:24

What we do is put finished part RIM, TIRE & BEARING in the BOM for finished part WHEEL.

Then we issue one workorder for the number of WHEELs we want and use material issues to relieve inventory of the RIMs, TIREs & BEARINGs used.

Any shortages of RIM, TIRE & BEARING are purchased or manufactured separately.  Shocked

Note: Purchasing finished part items was discouraged by DBA technicians because they've setup type R for purchased items. We continued this way because it's easier for our people to consider F as Finished parts and R as Raw materials.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
RAGINE

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 05/13/03 at 14:30:35

Hi Mike,

Yes we do enter partial qty's into Finished Production. I Backflush the materials @ Actual Cost. We  use Standard Cost @ Top Level Production.
Ragine

Ragine Hendrickson
Manufacturing Systems Inc/TRU-CATCH TRAPS
ISTECH 2004.1 10/31/06 UPDATE
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print