Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Windows Me conversion (Read 3293 times)
TFay
Ex Member

Windows Me conversion
05/21/03 at 11:58:00

Does anyone know how difficult it is to install Windows 98 SE on a Windows ME machine?  I have a copy of Windows 98 that I could install on our server which is currently running Windows ME but I dont know what kind of problems I could run into.

IP Logged
Tim Keating
Ex Member

Re: Windows Me conversion
Reply #1 - 05/21/03 at 12:18:17

Don't even try.  Wipe it and install XP or 2000.

IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #2 - 05/21/03 at 16:49:57

I cannot agree more!

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
TFay
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/21/03 at 18:44:58

Thanks for the info,  I am trying to figure out how to remove windows me and how hard that will be before I install a new operating system.

IP Logged
Tim Keating
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/22/03 at 11:27:21

How difficult it will be depends upon what other software you have on your machine and its state of compatibility with the new operating system.  DBA will run better on XP or 2000 but other software might run quirky or not at all.

I found a pretty elementary guide for upgrading from ME to XP here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324770

Its a Power Point presentation so I don't know if it will do you any good.

One thing you have to consider, depending on the age and condition of your machine and your future needs, is that it may make more sense to buy a new machine with XP pre-installed.  That would allow you to test it while your old system is still running.  If you have a problem during the upgrade, which is a real possibility, you have nothing to run on.

If you do the upgrade, do it on a weekend and backup all your data!  I would back up the whole hard drive so I could just go back to square one if needed.

IP Logged
TFay
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/23/03 at 08:14:48

Our server is not an old machine so I have chosen to install the Windows 2000 Pro upgrade to take this from ME to Win2000.  I have reviewed the instructions on the microsoft support page.  We dont use this machine for anything other than DBA so I dont care if nothing other than DBA works on this machine.  We are running a P2P 7 user system.  Are there any  known issues running a P2P DBA system on Windows 2000?

IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #6 - 05/23/03 at 09:14:23

Actually you should find that it will work better.

If you are up to 7 users though, you should seriously consider looking at a server based setup.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #7 - 05/23/03 at 09:23:09

I disagree, 7 users will run fine in peer to peer using the Pervasive Workgroup engine, especially since the "server" station is a dedicated station and does not actively run DBA.    Pervasive technical support has told me that Workgroup can certainly handle up to 10 users and in many cases depending on transaction volume, up to 20 is fine.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
TFay
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/23/03 at 09:40:12

Thanks for all of the help.  I will load this operating system later today so keep an eye peeled for further posts should I (probably) get stuck Grin

IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #9 - 05/23/03 at 10:25:33

Actually Lynn, I say that not only for Pervasive/DBA, but even more so from a network management and topology control as well as security.

Server environments provide backup control, central management, etc.  They also allow more sharing and application management.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #10 - 05/23/03 at 10:39:56

OK, Lorne, I concede, from that perspective you have a point.  Although Windows 2000 Pro acting as a "server" is not a bad compromise provided a regular backup of some sort is scheduled.  Certainly a BIG step up from a WIN ME "Server". Wink

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #11 - 05/23/03 at 11:48:36

My netwprk guy would certainly say "AMEN" to that. Smiley

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
TFay
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/23/03 at 16:19:57

Ok You all knew I would be back.  I have installed Win2000.  when the machine boots it does not start the pervasive engine.  If I launch DBA the engine starts but I get a W3DBSMGR.EXE unable to locate DLL  MSVCP60.dll.  and then a btrieve error 3012.  The good news is all my DBA files and directories are on the drive intact.  Now I need to figure out how to get DBA back up and running.

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #13 - 05/23/03 at 17:06:22

Since you have a new operating system, there are new registry settings.  You need to reinstall the Pervasive engine.  This is done using the SETUP.EXE in the Workgroup folder on your most recent DBA CD.  You will also need the Pervasive user count diskette from DBA or, if you can't find it, they can email you a new one Monday morning.    

When you load the CD and it autostarts, kill it because you don't want to reinstall DBA, then use Explorer on the CD to fild the SETUP.EXE in the WOrkgroup folder.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
TFay
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/23/03 at 17:22:41

Thanks Lynn, I noticed that from another computer when I tried to access the server it said I needed a network password.  I dont remember setting one when I installed win2000.  Do you know if this is normal and what to do about it?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print