Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CHARGING PO'S TO VISA (Read 846 times)
lynnkissinger

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

CHARGING PO'S TO VISA
06/05/03 at 13:54:43

I would like to take advantage of charging po's to a charge card, but don't want to lose the history of the actual vendor the item was purchased from.  Any suggestions on how I can do this?  Example: if an item is bought from ABC Co., but I issued the PO to VISA so that the AP document prints a check to VISA, how do I track how much we purchased from ABC company, or where that item was purchased from in inventory history, as the inventory file would show purchased from VISA?

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Re: CHARGING PO'S TO VISA
Reply #1 - 06/05/03 at 14:00:49

Create a GL Liability account called Credit Card - PO/AP and set it up in checking account defaults as a "Checking Account".  Enter the PO and receive it to ABC Vendor.  Then when entering the invoice in AP-C, enter as a COD rather than invoice and use the Credit Card PO/AP account to pay for it.  This properly records the vendor purchase and payment and books a liability to pay the credit card company.

When you get your credit card statement, use the Check Register (GL-I) for the Credit Card PO/AP account to verify the charges on the statement.  Then when you enter the credit card bill in AP-B, the total of  those charges already processed through the PO system are  posted to debit the Liability account for Credit Card PO/AP and other charges such as travel and entertainment that were not processed through the PO system are posted to the expense accounts as usual.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Joyce U.
Browser

Barefoot on the
Beach

Reply #2 - 12/17/03 at 08:12:31

Lynn, I'm getting ready to implement this procedure for our company.
I have 2 questions:

1.  When entering the purchase order items in AP-C as a COD using the Credit Card PO/AP account, do you have any suggestions on check numbers?

2.  Also, will we need to reconcile these checks in the system like other checks issued from real checking accounts?

Thank you

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #3 - 12/17/03 at 08:26:24

1.  No real secret but I would choose a range of numbers different from your regular checks just so it is obvious on reports that they are from a different account.

2.  It is not necessary but using the Check Reconciliation is a good way to double check the charges on the credit card bill.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print