Send Topic Print
Kit Issuing Issues (Read 547 times)
jbierrie
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Kit Issuing Issues
10/20/03 at 21:23:25

I am fast approaching my witts end with our inventory not being correct and am constantly being told it is due to "DBA" incorrectly handling things.  I have generally operated under the assumption that DBA would not exist / be in business (in any form), if it were not able to do "basic" business transactions, so I have previously concentrated on the problems being personnel related.  Before I fire someone, I thought I would give it one chance here.  Please forgive me with my description of the problem, I do not know all the correct terminology, menu items, etc. that might normally be used, only a general idea of the problem.

The Problem, Or... one of many:  Durring the kitting process (batch kitting?), the system errors out saying something about not being able to issue one particular part.  The kitter then has to go back in to the system and either un-issue all the items up to that point, or issue, line by line, the remaining items.  This occurrs, apparently, when someone else might be looking at the part in question (say, engineering).  Now... when there might be 40 items in the BOM this is not just a time waster, but if it happens at say the 20th item, gives the "chance" that the person will miss either an un-issue or an issue of the remaining items.  Particularly when you may have thirty or fourty orders to process that morning.  Problem one... is this actually happening and if so, is there some way around it??  How can one person looking at materials (again, say an engineer) keep the rest of the company from operating correctly??

Problem two:  Whenever this happens (system crashes, batch kitting is stopped, or whatever you call it) other "glitches" occurr.  Part counts reportedly go "off", either with the already kitted items (for that order), or the items remaining to be kitted (I'm not sure which they are saying at this moment).  Is this even remotely possible?  Or are some simply trying to protect themselves?

Please, again, I do not know the terminology.  All I know is that we have performed three, full, inventory counts this year so far and each time hundreds, if not thousands, of items are out of kilter with what they should be.  I can understand that people make mistakes, but the last time, a month after the previous inventory, I did the corrections and there were about 1,000 of them, out of an inventory of 8,700 parts.  That seems rather excessive to me to be "only" a personnel problem.  On the other hand, if it is, I need to know so I can correct it.  If it is not, I'd like to ease up on the guys working out there and go on to try and "fix" the problems.

Thanks.

John Bierrie

IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Re: Kit Issuing Issues
Reply #1 - 10/21/03 at 05:00:39

First I'm going to assume that this is during issuing materials to a WO. We don't use that feature so I can't comment on that.

I do agree that DBA seems to use some unconventional means to control inventory, so much so that I also question its validity.

One place is when (if) you run "Reconcile Inventory On Hand". I've had DBA make huge changes there. It once made a single change afecting nearly $15,000 worth of inventory. I no longer run that program. Another is when using Kit type Items on a Sales Order. If the entire amount of the Parent Item is not released, the Kit components are sometimes not released properly.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Re: Kit Issuing Issues
Reply #2 - 10/21/03 at 10:38:32

There is a problem with the standard DBA WO-G Kit Issue and the WO-I backflush that if it encounters a record lock on an inventory item, it stops the process midway through resulting in the situation described.  

IS Tech Support has a solution as part of the standard program update available to paid subscribers that continues to process all the items and stored the ones that were locked in a temporary file to be reprocessed later.  See www.istechsupport.com/downloads.asp for further details.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print