Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/05/24 at 15:18:18
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
inventory item book value (Read 583 times)
becky
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

inventory item book value
12/04/03 at 07:16:48

A couple of questions.
In trying to move our inventory to DBA (currently we are running our old system parallel), I've discovered some things about the way DBA handles inventory items and their book value.  Yesterday I found 2 items that their 1st transaction was an issue to another work order.  The same day, but after that issue, the receipt from the work order making the item was recorded.  The 1st transaction had a book value of zero, because there was no average unit cost established.  The 2nd transaction brought the quantity balance back to zero, but it had an average unit cost from the work order so I suspect the book value remained at the amount of the work order (0 quantity and $1300 book value).  Since then there have been several work order receipts and issues (in that order).  Now, 10 months later the book value of the item is off by an amount close to that work order.  We will need to make some kind of adjusting entry to fix this.  Question 1 - I found these because I was comparing 2 systems. How would we have found these otherwise? Is this a bug of some sort?

DBA uses the average unit cost to get a transaction dollar value.  So that if we do an issue or a shipment before we do the receipt, it will use the last average unit cost.  Even though it may be totally different than what we are experiencing in the current work order. So there can be some residual costs left in the book value of an item if there is differences between the issue average unit cost and the final work order average unit cost.  And it doesn't appear that DBA ever corrects itself as far as recalculating the average unit cost when the work order is completed if we have issued or shipped the items completed in the work order.  
That has presented us with some problems when we do partial receipts and shipments of an item.  And we may do several of those before the work order is complete.  Yes, we get the report when the work order is completed that shows us the posting for WIP and variance accounts.  But I have found cases where it doesn't appear that the average unit cost on the inventory item was ever adjusted by DBA once the work order is closed.

Question 2- Is there a bug in the software where book value and average unit cost is concerned, or do we have to be really careful about the sequence in which we record our transactions? - or - is there some default code we need to look at - or - is there some other process we should be doing to monitor inventory average unit costs and book value?

We use Average costing.

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Re: inventory item book value
Reply #1 - 12/04/03 at 08:20:20

It is not a bug but, as you have observed, the timing of transactions is important.  You can use IN-L-K to get a list of items where the Book value compared to the extension of on hand quantity times average cost differs by whatever percentage you care to enter.  You would then use UT-K-G to reset the Book Value and take the summary value at the end of the report to make an adjusting entry to the GL.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print