Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
03/28/24 at 16:47:12
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What do you think of EziJobz? (Read 10834 times)
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

What do you think of EziJobz?
12/30/03 at 07:39:02

I'd like to know what other peoples' impression of it is.

We just received a copy of it and installed it. So far no one here is impressed. It runs hideously slow compared to DBA, it's a whole lot less intuitive, and it seems (to us) to be set up very poorly. Whoever thought up of the 'make everything look like a spreadsheet' approach was WRONG.

On the slowness gripe, we DO use a 400MHz machine as the file server. However it works fine for DBA, UPS, credit card validation software, etc. 400Mhz is under the recommended processor for EziJobz but it needn't be. Our workstations are also 400Mhz machines which is slightly above the minimum recommended spec of 350Mhz.

To further elaborate on the speed issue, we've found that it takes something like 15 seconds to setup for making a new sales order. Clicking to bring up the list of customers or items (to put on the SO) takes about as long. Thats just not acceptable; unless something is drastically setup wrong (and I dont know how... DBA runs just fine on the same machine)

So far it looks to us as if DBA Software has committed suicide by means of trusting a company from New Zealand to create an ERP package for them... At least Lynn is still around to pick of the pieces and continue support for a product that DOES work. Is our company alone in being very disappointed with EziJobz?

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

EvoERP Version 1-22-10 SP3
5 User Workgroup Pervasive 10
Email WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Re: What do you think of EziJobz?
Reply #1 - 12/30/03 at 09:31:16

From someone who makes their business in software....

The spreadsheet idea....it is the way that virtually ALL other ERP packages are, and have been for quite some time, set up. So you won't get away from that. It is just a more effective and efficient method.

As far as the speed, a 400 Mhz server simply is not reasonable for todays software. You need to upgrade. EJ is not that much slower than DBA when run on a sufficiently powerful machine. My laptop is 4x that powerfull. undecided

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #2 - 12/30/03 at 15:59:54

The spreadsheet idea, in my opinion, is a terrible idea. I don't really care how many other ERP packages use it. Can you explain to me how it's more efficient and/or better to make the software have tons of fields in a spreadsheet that's 12x wider than the screen? It's just annoying. The way DBA had most of the fields simultaneously viewable is, in my opinion, much better. I guess to each his own....

As for a 400Mhz machine not cutting it for todays software... There is NO reason that has to be. I have a 1.6GHz laptop that I use. Using EziJobz on this machine isn't so bad... Maybe a 1/2 second to second pause when trying to create a sales order, 1 second pause bringing up the list of customers, etc. But  DBA runs fine on a 120Mhz machine yet I need to have a 1.6GHz machine to use EziJobz?!? No thanks! Pervasive SQL runs fine on the 400Mhz server. It seems like Firebird doesn't run too badly either because the bottleneck seems to be client computer speed. Haven't had a problem w/ DBA's speed on all of the machines here. EziJobz is doing much the same thing as DBA does, just w/ a little more flashy Gfx and lot more annoying interface. It should not be significantly slower.  

Don't get me wrong, I like fast computers as much as the next person, maybe more. I use a 1.6GHz laptop and a 2.54Ghz desktop machine. But the rest of the users here don't. Sure, I could upgrade them to faster machines but I still fail to see why I should have to upgrade the machines just so we can use a software package that I feel is VERY poorly designed and that runs like a turtle unnecessarily... I guess we'll stick w/ DBA and maybe look into Evolution.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #3 - 12/31/03 at 10:32:01

Each to their own..... Wink

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
karaya
Browser

44 Group - Ezijobz
and DBA Software
Services

Reply #4 - 12/31/03 at 15:11:33

You clearly have something setup wrong on your Ezijobz for it to take that long to bring up a SO.  It sounds like it is not communicating with the Firebird SQL engine correctly.  I had this happen and when I reinstalled the engine it was blazing fast!!

Can you provide me a few details as to your setup?  I've installed several Ezijobz and some on crappy system with specs less than yours and it still performed outstanding with instant response.

Raymond Kemp
44 Group, Inc. - Ezijobz and DBA Services
636-946-1513
www.44group.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #5 - 01/02/04 at 07:04:35

A few more setup details:

Server is a 400Mhz PII w/ somewhere around 360MB of RAM running WindowsNT w/ SP6a and security patches released after SP6a. The server is connected to a 10/100 switch w/ QoS set to HIGH for the port the server is going into. The machine I was testing EziJobz on is connected to a 10 base hub that is in turn connected to the 10/100 switch the server  runs into. The machine I was testing on is also a 400Mhz machine running Windows NT Workstation. It has SP6 installed.

I don't believe any protocol other than TCP/IP is installed on the machines. They are setup on a domain (obv originating at the 400Mhz file server).

One thing I did notice is that there's a lot of traffic when using EziJobz. Starting an SO seems to cause around a megabyte or so of network traffic. Granted even 10 base should transfer that in a little over a second... It makes me wonder: Why on God's green Earth do the EziJobz and DBA programmers not believe in creating a client/server architecture where the executable for the program is stored locally on each client machine? It's just silly to have to transfer the program over the network. This might be causing some of my speed problem as the client machine I was using was hooked to a 10 base hub.  

Even if the speed problem were fixed we still probably would not use EziJobz. No one here likes it's design. Everyone here who has seen it (and yes, I'm not kidding when I say everyone) has hated the spreadsheet layout. It's a truely terrible program design. I understand that because of windows controls a trained monkey w/ a limp could code up a database app w/ the dataview control (in Visual Basic and Delphi at least... I know they both have the dataview control which is a spreadsheet view just like EziJobz uses). However, the easy way isn't always the best way.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #6 - 01/02/04 at 11:01:56

So...I take it you aren't going to start an EJ fan club anytime soon..... Shocked Grin

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #7 - 01/02/04 at 15:08:41

I suppose not... Wink

I don't try to be a jerk about EziJobz but I waited for a long time to see it and it was a big letdown once I did. I guess I, and everyone else here, were just expecting something totally different.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
karaya
Browser

44 Group - Ezijobz
and DBA Software
Services

Reply #8 - 01/03/04 at 10:32:21

Keep one thing in mind about Ezijobz.  The version you have is not the version that will be released as a so-called working version.  Best put this is a pre-release to take a look at what Ezijobz is and how it performs.

Currently there are major changes being completed on Ezijobz and you can expect some annoucements as to this in a few days.   So on the horizon there are numerous changes in store for Ezijobz much like DBA went through in its early days.

Raymond Kemp
636-946-1513
www.44group.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #9 - 01/05/04 at 06:50:55

Thats all well and good but keep in mind, I believe the ENTIRE way that EziJobz was constructed was wrong. I doubt that they plan to totally re-code it. Wink

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #10 - 01/12/04 at 12:00:08

I  am disappointed with the interface. Especially that there seems to be great disregard for the keyboard to move around a screen.

The restriction to a single company was somewhat surprising. Not that I use DBA for more than one company, but I do maintain a copy of my current configuration as a "SandBox" for testing new ideas, and for verification on unfamiliar procedures.

I'm sure that a lot of things I don't like are a result of it being  a new piece of software. However, I found getting DBA set up childs play compared to what it SEEMS like Ezijobz will be. Maybe part of it is also that DBA came with a several hundred page manual.

At this point I don't think we'll be switching to Ezijobz. I don't know that I'm even going to take the time to make a full evaluation.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
Carla
Browser

Reply #11 - 01/14/04 at 14:01:55

I installed Ezijobz two weeks before the end of the year and started to enter data in purchasing and in Sales.  I have since stopped entering anything into Ezijobz and have started back using DBA.   I still need DBA for Payroll since they have not added payroll to Ezijobz yet.  Also, I do not like the reports from Ezijobz (or lack of reports).  DBA is much better and I like the looks of the Purchase orders, invoices, etc.  I am still trying to figure out how to put our company logo on the invoices and purchase orders (in Ezijobz).  DBA was a piece of cake in comparison to Ezijobz so far!  I am not sure what we'll be doing.    undecided

Carla W.
PSI Polymer Systems
Hickory, NC
phone: 828-345-6264
fax: 828-345-6265
Email   IP Logged
karaya
Browser

44 Group - Ezijobz
and DBA Software
Services

Reply #12 - 01/15/04 at 08:27:08

Carla, you may want to hold up on Ezijobz for a short spell.  Currrently all of the forms are being changed out and there are major changes being worked on for the manufacturing areas of Ezijobz.  It is my understanding that part of this will be on a new build that is scheduled for release any day.  This should be build 66.  I will post a notice here when build 66 is available or you can check on our web site at:  http://www.44group.net

Raymond Kemp
636-946-1513
www.44group.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
wjlx
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 02/03/04 at 15:40:43

I agree with kkmfg's posts.  I was really excited about the prospect of moving from DBA, but Ezijobz is still too much
a work in progress.  They do seem to be addressing some of the issues.  

We also do not have enough powerful hardware to run Ezijobz right now.  I am a little concerned how they implement  their views because we have so much data.  

I am looking forward to their changes and hope they have  
something I can convert to by mid 2005.

Does anyone have an insight on why DBA gave up on converting their program?

IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #14 - 02/03/04 at 21:34:16

Legal reasons as well as the base technology was just not sufficiently upgradeable and they were looking for a language and a platform that were more mainstream rather than so obscure and proprietary.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print