Xenical
Xenical
Xenical
Xenical
Xenical

« Created by: marygsgsix on: 04/08/08 at 14:48:40 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Field naming problem creating query from Access (Read 1107 times)
chrisbowden

Doing it all with
DBA.

Field naming problem creating query from Access
04/06/04 at 10:16:18

I just installed Access and wanted to create a query from BKARINVL.  When I link to the table through ODBC, I get an error message that the field(s) have invalid names.  Specifically the brackets that are used in several of the field names is causing a problem (according to the help screen).

Any advice how I can get around this?  I do not have this problem when I pull data in through Excel/Microsoft Query.  The whole reason I bought Access was to be able to produce usable reports that I cannot easily get by dumping to Excel and sorting and sorting and subtotalling...

Chris Bowden
Amstar Foods LLC
ISTech 2004.1 12/21/08 - 5 user - Classic & Evo - patch as of 01/07/09
Pervasive 2000i SP3 / XP Pro
  IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Re: Field naming problem creating query from Acces
Reply #1 - 04/06/04 at 10:28:01

There are a few fields in a few tables that are a collossal pain in the ass because of the naming. It is not really an ODBC problem (ergo you can get them in Excel), it is rather an Access issue in that Access wants industry standard naming convention.

Sometimes a pass-through query will resolve this. Other times you will need to create a new Pervasive table in PCC and use it to query the offending fields and then use Access to query that table. You can also try bringing the data into Excel and then use Access to query the Excel data. Problem there is that the Excel data will not be automatically refreshed unless you write a VBA macro to do so.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
chrisbowden

Doing it all with
DBA.

Reply #2 - 04/06/04 at 10:37:18

I'm doing that now--Access reads the field names fine from a query-based Excel spreadsheet.  But, like you pointed out, the data will first have to be refreshed in Excel in order to get the most current information.  What a pain in the butt.  Also, once I create the query, I cannot seem to get Microsoft Query to re-edit the query should I need to make changes.  I have to re-create the query for any structural changes--which is often while I'm developing the report.

I tried writing the reports using the Crystal Reports module that comes with Visual Studio .NET, but what a pain too!  Every minute detail has to be fiddled with and then when I'm through, I realized that I'm still not happy with the output.  Ahhhh!

« Last Edit: 04/06/04 at 15:50:34 by chrisbowden »  

Chris Bowden
Amstar Foods LLC
ISTech 2004.1 12/21/08 - 5 user - Classic & Evo - patch as of 01/07/09
Pervasive 2000i SP3 / XP Pro
  IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!