Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
03/29/24 at 06:17:56
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
was Ezijobz/ now DBA next-gen... (Read 24517 times)
Mike_Habich

was Ezijobz/ now DBA next-gen...
08/17/04 at 13:17:24

Go have a look at the DBA website.  Changes again...

Email   IP Logged
jsm90505
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: was Ezijobz/ now DBA next-gen...
Reply #1 - 08/17/04 at 18:51:36

DBA-NG (Next Generation or No Good?) - and this is the new designation???  More changes and (dare I say) bugs to go with it...  I will stay where I am, thank you...  

DBA 2002.4 with Lynn's updates is working just fine.

IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #2 - 08/18/04 at 06:25:34

They made the change in order to try to take advantage of the more established DBA market recognition rather than pure EJ brand as they felt it might be less expensive to leverage exisiting profile than to create new.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
Mike Hart
Browser

Reply #3 - 08/22/04 at 15:54:01

I've enjoyed reviewing this forum and find it highly informative.    

I'd be happy to answer questions anyone has regarding DBA Manufacturing Next-Generation or the future direction of DBA Software.

Mike Hart
President
DBA Software Inc.
WWW   IP Logged
shadowcaster

I'm not here because
I know what to do.

Reply #4 - 09/01/04 at 12:28:08

Well Mike  I'd like to know when the new system will be ready for prime time.  

I tried the 1st version of EJ and it wouldn't load my data from DBA, did not have most of the important features of DBA classic, and was a waste of my time.

Where is the new program at compared to the features of DBA. Can you tell me whats missing and a time line to when it will do more than we get from classic.

It seems like the new program has less direction than a democratic presidential candidate.

Im all for new and improved but wheres the Improvement.

J Dub

WWW   IP Logged
Mike Hart
Browser

Reply #5 - 09/02/04 at 10:07:19

Well, I sure hope we can provide more direction than, as you say, a 'democratic presidential candidate' and hope to turn that impression around with tangible progress.  DBA Next-Gen is a major step towards doing just that.

We made a momentous decision in late 2000 to abandon the conversion of DBA Classic to another version of TAS and develop a new system from scratch using mainstream technology, first with Visual Basic and then Delphi.  Like Bush with Iraq, we underestimated the enormity of the job and everything took longer than expected and plenty of work remains ahead (which is always the case with enterprise software).    

Having said that, we are steadily advancing the product and ultimately it will blend the best of Ezijobz and DBA Classic into something special on its own.  Fred Zumwalt and I, who teamed on much of the DBA Classic development, are really tearing into this product and are giving it the 'DBA touch.'  For example, I just spent seven months writing all-new documentation for the product, all of which is being unveiled in the new build being distributed next week.  And Fred has done some terrific reports that go far beyond what was done in DBA Classic.  Fred is continually updating the DBA Classic to Next-Gen data transfer utility so that more and more data files move over.  And our programming team in New Zealand continues to do great work.  Altogether we are devoting far more development resources to this product than we ever were able to with DBA Classic.

The following is an excerpt from a product announcement letter that will soon go out to DBA customers that answers some of your questions.

What is DBA Manufacturing Next-Generation?
--------------------------------------------

DBA Manufacturing Next-Generation (DBA Next-Gen) is derived from our Ezijobz SME product.  While Ezijobz SME had little compatibility with DBA Classic, DBA Next-Gen is being transformed into a blend of the best of DBA Classic and Ezijobz.  

We are in the process of systematically updating DBA Next-Gen so that it will acquire equivalents to any remaining features in DBA Classic that are not in the Ezijobz feature set.

What makes DBA Next-Gen different?
------------------------------------

DBA Next-Gen differs from Ezijobz in the following aspects.

*Like DBA Classic, it standardizes on Sales Orders for order entry

*It has an all-new Help file and comes with 19 new DBA-style user guides  

*It includes a set of DBA Classic compatible forms and a series of new form designs

*It features a new DBA-style shop traveler and job pick list and new DBA-style reports, including Indented BOM, Costed BOM, BOM Availability, Inventory Value, GL Journal Report -- and more are on the way  

*A new Speed Entry function allows for the rapid entry of line items within sales orders, jobs, PO's, and BOM's

*New viewing filters allow sets of related fields to be visible on the major spreadsheet-style entry screens

*Filtering can be turned off on major screens to speed up loading of opening lists

*The Configurator screens and terminology have been simplified and kits have been added for features and options type configuration

*The Accounts Payable module has been completely redesigned and now surpasses DBA Classic's AP with multi-line expense entry, a new payment selection and check printing screen, and a new payments/check register  

*The Cashbook (bank reconciliation) and GL journal entry functions have been significantly improved

DBA Manufacturing Next-Generation provides every DBA customer with a long-term growth path that protects your investment to-date and insures that you will be able to meet the needs of tomorrow.

Which companies can DBA Next-Gen help right now?  
-----------------------------------------------------------------  

Each company has to make its own assessment as to when the benefits of DBA Next-Gen are compelling enough to warrant a conversion.  

If you are a make-to-order company where quoting drives your business, our latest Configurator can profoundly change your business - right now.

If you are a light manufacturer, our bills of material, make to-order and make to-stock jobs are an excellent solution - right now.

If you are an advanced manufacturer with a need for routings, shop floor control, and automatic scheduling, we will unveil enhanced versions of these functions later this year.

Also be aware that our data transfer utility will transfer much of your DBA Classic master file data over to DBA Next-Gen.

Please feel free to ask any questions you wish about DBA Next-Gen or our future direction as a company.

Mike Hart
President  
DBA Software Inc.

« Last Edit: 09/03/04 at 07:17:11 by Mike Hart »  

Mike Hart
President
DBA Software Inc.
WWW   IP Logged
shadowcaster

I'm not here because
I know what to do.

Reply #6 - 09/07/04 at 07:01:50

>If you are an advanced manufacturer with a need for routings, shop floor control, and automatic scheduling, we will unveil enhanced versions of these functions later this year.  

This is KEY for ME

Thanks for the update

JW

WWW   IP Logged
Mike Hart
Browser

Reply #7 - 09/07/04 at 08:56:46

Based on customer surveys we've taken, we get a sense that as many as 75% of our customers are primarily bill of material driven raher than heavy users of routings, so for those type of companies DBA Next-Gen offers a good solution right now.

In regards to the 'advanced manufacturing' features of routings, sheduling, and labor data collection, the system already has much of this in place.  Most of it is undocumented, but you can see glimpses of these functions in the operations screens, work cetners, and resources.

What we want to do before we start promoting these advanced functions is to simplify the costing system (such as the application of overhead burden), beef up the outside processing capability, integrate routing operations into the new shop traveler, add in percent completioin and scrap tracking, and provide an interface to outside data collection systems.

So, a lot of it's already in place and now it's a matter of getting it all pulled together.  

So, anyone who is in this 'advanced manufactuig' category should wait until we unveil these advanced features in their final, documented form.

If anyone has questions on specific features or programming plans, please let me know.  

Mike Hart

Mike Hart
President
DBA Software Inc.
WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #8 - 09/07/04 at 09:01:49

Mike,

if it is just a matter of "pulling it all together", maybe it is time to call one of those designers from Trading Spaces....they seem to be able to do that almost miraculously!.... Cheesy

Just kidding.... Grin

Seriously, I agree with Shadowcaster.....it would be REALLY nice to see this VERY soon.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
tdlugosh

Reply #9 - 09/07/04 at 11:23:39

Mike,

Warren advised last Friday that the latest version would be released midnight last Sunday.  Has that happened?  I couldn't find it on your sight a little while ago.

Classic & EVO-ERP 10/31/06 update
Pervasive 9.5 Client Server W2k3 Standard
  IP Logged
Mike Hart
Browser

Reply #10 - 09/09/04 at 15:33:04

The new build, the first of the DBA Next-Generation era, was released Wednesday night, September 8th.

Anyone with Ezijobz installed can get the update by starting up Ezijobz.  An update window will automatically display, from which you can download the release notes and then the update itself.

There are many improvements throughout.  I hope you like what you see.    

If you have any product questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Mike Hart
DBA Software Inc.

Mike Hart
President
DBA Software Inc.
WWW   IP Logged
sharon krewson
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/24/04 at 09:47:20

Mike

I have been looking at the software and one big question has come up....  Where is the revision control?  

We are a sub-contract manufacturer and build to customer specs.  The use of the revision field on the traveler is critical to our operation.  I see that I can link docs and that may be the answer.  But, it is nice to be able to see the revision in the header of the traveler.  I think it would make sense to have it in the Detail tab of Item as well.    

Also, I noticed that the Specs from old DBA transferred into Item Notes.  However, this does not print on the traveler either.  This section is also critical to our process control.

Your input on this would be helpful in our evaluation of the software.

Thanks
Sharon Krewson

PS.  My apologies to Lynn for using her forum to investigate these issues.  Maybe if DBA had a forum...

IP Logged
Mike Hart
Browser

Reply #12 - 09/24/04 at 12:52:03

Sharon --  

DBA Next-Gen offers several new possibilities when it comes to revision control.

I'm sure you've noticed that our BOM offers multiple 'methods.'  You can store the specs for each revision as a separate method and designate the current revision as the default method.

If you need a revision field in the item master, you can add up to six user-defined fields to the database or you could set up a 'fixed characteristic' to store this information.

A contract manufacturer might find storing specs in 'job templates' a better alternative than doing so within BOM's.  Each revision can be stored in its own template and then copied into new jobs as needed.  

Unlike DBA Classic, you can also copy a previous make-to-order job to a new job, so you don't always have to originate jobs from a BOM.  

As far as getting the 'revision number' to print on the traveler, consider entering it in the 'job description', which prints on the shop traveler header.  Unlike DBA Classic, DBA Next-Gen does not identify jobs with a part number -- it uses a description instead.  This is because you can make more than one 'output' within a single job.  (Phantom assemblies are coming on the next build and offer interesting possibilities as well)

Regarding a user forum, we now offer a user discussion forum within our online Support Center where you can pose questions to other users or to our tech staff.

We're not in the forum competitin business, however, and i must say that I like this forum and the way it is organized, which is nicer than ours.

I recently decided to make contributions to this forum because DBA Next-Gn is maturing and will be the likely desination for most DBA Classic customers -- whether it be now, next year, or sometime later.  Therefore it's important that customers have resources for answers so they can learn more about the new product and its progress.  

I also see no need for speculation regarding our company policies or future drectinon -- you can get those answers straight from me.  And as far as what Lynn is doing, providng 3rd party add-ons and services is precisely what we wanted to happen when we made DBA Classic an open-source product -- so that when we moved on to new technology, customers who are not in a position to upgrade can continue to get solutions within the framework of the old product.

Long answer, but I hope it was worthwhile.

Mike Hart

Mike Hart
President
DBA Software Inc.
WWW   IP Logged
dorisb
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 10/01/04 at 15:33:54

Are there any provisions in DBA Next-Generation for Quality Control and/or ISO 9000-2000?

Doris Barchenger
Precision Mfg. Technologies, Inc.

IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #14 - 10/02/04 at 10:47:12

Doris,

What sort of provisions are you looking for?

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print