Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/03/24 at 10:04:15
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ODBC Connection Outside Router (Read 1122 times)
harhi
Browser

ODBC Connection Outside Router
02/08/05 at 08:49:15

I am having my web programmer write up a program to help stream my quoting process.

After 2 years, I am not real happy with DBA's quoting estimating features.  

I am need to set up an ODBC so that he can access through the net.  We have a static IP address and I know how to set up the router.  However, I am not real sure how to set up the computer on our end.    

We are currently runnin a work group configuration.  Any ideas would be helpful!  Smiley

WWW jamesharhi jamesharhi   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Re: ODBC Connection Outside Router
Reply #1 - 02/08/05 at 09:03:10

What are you writing as far as an application, in what language and such?

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
Tim Goldstein

'Cause sooner or
later everyone needs
a chief geek

Re: ODBC Connection Outside Router
Reply #2 - 02/08/05 at 09:36:22

harhi,

I would not recommend what you are planning to do!  There is no security in a workgroup environment and passing ODBC through a firewall will open up your entire network!

If you want to do it,  created a dedicated web server using a secure server package like 2003 advanced server or linux.  use that for hosting and open up your DMZ on port 80 to that machine.

Install pervasive SQL client on the web server and access DBA data on the backend through that server.  I would also recommend two NICs in that machine.  one for access to the world through port 80 the other to your network. (Do NOT enable bridging, port forwarding or load balancing between the NICs!)

This will keep your DBA data safe from hackers.  however, expect your web site to be attacked!  I would highly recommend SSL or secure certificates for authentication of machines that need acess.  this will help stop hacking.

hope it helps,

Tim

Tim
Email WWW timgolds timgolds   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print