Send Topic Print
Could this happen? (Read 1744 times)
wes
Browser

Doh!

Could this happen?
04/08/05 at 14:47:28

Hello,  
My company and I, are currently looking at IST to update our current DBA classic. Donna has turned us on to you as an option. We have seen several items and enhancements that we like.  

However we have a question: Its my understanding that DBA gave the rights to IST to use the tp5wdba.exe for IST use to continue doing enhancements and such.  How long is this license between IST and DBA good for? And is it possible that DBA can pull the license from IST?

Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wes Phillips
Signature Control Systems
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Re: Could this happen?
Reply #1 - 04/08/05 at 15:11:00

Let me clarify.  DBA is an open source system and has been for many years.  You have a copy of the program source code on your DBA CD as does every other DBA customer.  Paragraph 6 of the DBA License agreement we have all clicked OK to states that any programmer can develop programs using that source code PROVIDED that such programs are only distributed to licensed DBA users with the license expiration and user count controlled by DBA.  

This enables IS Tech and other independent third party programmers to develop customizations for DBA.  There is no time frame or expiration to that part of the license agreement.  It is permanent.  Any expiration is based on your license (as a customer) to use DBA which may be an annual renewal or may be lifetime.

What IS Tech obtained (they didn't give it to us...) from DBA in late 2004, which makes us different from any other third party program provider, is the permanent license rights to develop programs based on the underlying DBA program source code and provide them  to customers without requiring that those customers have an underlying valid DBA license.  This means that we can sell our Evo-ERP which is based on DBA Classic as a new system to new customers, as a license renewal to current DBA annual license customers, or as additional seats to current DBA customers.  We will also continue to provide program updates and enhancements to DBA Classic as we have for the past 2+ years.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print