Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
03/29/24 at 05:24:57
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DBA Next Gen 3.0 delays go on and on and on .... (Read 4654 times)
Steve Stoneman
Browser

DBA Next Gen 3.0 delays go on and on and on ....
07/10/06 at 05:16:14

I thought I would share this here in case anybody has lingering thoughts about swithching to DBA NextGen.  

In Feb, 2006 I asked about the release of the new version 3 Next Gen and getting it going. Here is Joe Harts response:

"We will be releasing a prospect single user download (should be posted today) ahead of the Customer version.  The prospect version is not meant to be for "Live" installations, but will allow you to explore the software.  We do not have a firm release date on the Customer update version at this time.  It will be at least 4-6 weeks.  We will keep you posted as we get a more firm idea of the progress and testing."

So after hearing and seeing nothing substantial posted for months (sound familiar?), I just sent another inquiry about progress and the promised Features and Options, since they are dumping the configurator. Response:

"You will receive all concrete progress reports through this ticket and be extended the opportunity to take a look at the program in its Beta phase.  This project is not in the immediate plans.  

Gee, Joe, that is not what your "DBA Version 3.0 Preview" PDF, says. There you say:

"It (Features and Options) should be available during the first half of 2006"

He goes on in my ticket:

"Several key projects took precedence for the time being, but we are excited about the BOM with options project.  I have no firm time frame now, but will let you know through this ticket as details firm up."  

I think I will be retired by the time "details firm up".

...and the beat goes on, the beat goes on....

WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Re: DBA Next Gen 3.0 delays go on and on and on ..
Reply #1 - 07/10/06 at 11:35:12

The configurator was the only reason I was even thinking about looking at NG. Glad I didn't spend too much time with it.

It's amazing DBA came out as well as it did, but I guess that was when people like Lynn and Allen were working there...

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
dameng

DBA / EVO Software
Consultant

Reply #2 - 07/10/06 at 16:08:25

i had one of my customers set up and using over 900 configurator schemas.

i can't convert them to 3.0 until i have a suitable method to replace that functionality.

i'll still continue to work with customers on DBA NG. but the frustration is there for all users who interact with them. the biggest frustration i find, is the Basics need to be fixed, but only new menus get added or deleted.

i'm glad to provide workaround solutions, but that should be the exception and not the rule.

Dave Mengelkamp
Digital Consulting
davemeng@earthlink.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
Vman

If it ain't broke,
don't fix it

Reply #3 - 07/12/06 at 13:41:15

When my company was looking at DBA Next Gen, we spend a whole Saturday trying to get the configurator function to work.  Like most of the other stuff in Next Gen, there was a lot of potential there, but functionally, the software was very beta and ran slower than the Texas legislature addressing school funding (-sorry inside Texas joke Smiley)
For the people that took the plunge, I hope it is/will work well for them.

EVO-ERP 2022.2
Build 4/22/22
Actican Zen V14 SP2 Workgroup
Win7 64-bit and Win10 Pro
WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #4 - 07/12/06 at 18:37:09

I try to stay out of the NG discussions because I do feel it should be a company decision that each of you makes but I will ask this question -  

What functionality does NG potentially offer that Classic with Evo-ERP does not have that makes it worth the effort to convert?

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #5 - 07/13/06 at 03:35:08

Well, for me it was the configurator. But only because Features and Options doesn't work for me. BUT, since that is being entirely re-worked Wink and will fill the bill, NG has nothing on DBA/Evo.....

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
Steve Stoneman
Browser

Reply #6 - 07/13/06 at 04:55:49

Hi Lynn,
We absolutely wanted the configurator because I thought it would behave specifically in this manner:
We need to add options (upholstery choice, paint choice, plus others) at sales order entry. However, those options are built in at sub-assembly levels. So, we were hoping to get a system that would plug them into the BOM two or three levels down the BOM tree, not at the top level assembly. I could then hand out a traveler for the sub-assembly that showed that option requirement at that level. All these configured subs then come together for final assembly. IE: the final assembler picks/finds those customized sub-assemblies and puts them together. It is visually easy to find them at that point for us.
Also, then I want to create a report, probably in Crystal Reports, to list the customized BOM's by work center showing preferably just the options, but acceptably the whole bill.
Getting the options slotted in at the sub-assembly level appears to be the roadblock most of the time. Of course, I can get it with the big boy systems. cry

But another, probably more important issue with EziJobz/NextGen is the absolutely horrible communication they have.  

I am going to go on a rant here: They make promises, don't follow up, and leave everyone in the dark. They say this, they do that. It is this mysterious dark tunnel. They just don't get it at all. They have been scolded a hundred times and simply refuse to tell us what is going on. Dear Jehoshaphat, don't they understand that our livelihood hinges on our software performance, features and communication? For crying out loud, you can't even join their user forum with out shelling out "support" bucks and I own the fully licensed software! Yes, they want money for the privilege of talking to fellow users. I simply stopped my support payments until I see some real progress by way of announcements and trying out their single user system. But now I get no forums to see even the rumors from other users as they have tried to communicate with Joe or whoever. Even their literature is in direct opposition to what you are told in support tickets, so that can't be believed.

I have come to see a direct correlation between a software company who cares and them having an open forum. Personally, I have to get it in my head that this is never going to change with NextGen and is their permanent mode of operation, sanctioned by the top. Take the hit and move on Steve...Duh! All of you here already figured that out long ago.

End of rant, but probably will still edit Grin.

WWW   IP Logged
cathyh

I used to be
indecisive; now I'm
not so sure......

Reply #7 - 07/18/06 at 07:23:04

I have some Evo users that are entranced with NG for this reason:  when building a BOM, they can display the list of  inventory items and in the same screen pick one of these and two of those and 4 of them... in Evo items are picked one at a time.
This is enough to have them ready to jump over to NG.  However, I sent them this topic and they have backed down alittle.  

Cathy Hamilton
Wing Inflatables, Inc.
EVO-ERP2008.1(20 users) w/IS Tech update 5/25/09 (as of 08/21/09)
Windows 2008 Server/client
Pervasive V10.1
Email WWW   IP Logged
Xeyes
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 08/07/06 at 12:54:42

3.x is beta. very beta, or even alpha. Even 2.x is, too, in a lot of ways, and I don't see how people are actually using it in production work. The promise is there, but the followthru is sorely lacking, and it's the meat-and-potatoes part of the package that's suffering. Many things (that you take for granted in classic/evo) flat-out don't work as advertised or expected, others have wrinkles that require special attention or procedures.

If you can get on the beta program (and they're looking to expand it), it will give you a channel to DBA to have your voice heard; Joe's been generally very responsive to any beef's I've sent (doesn't mean everything gets fixed, but at least I get a response and sometimes even a ticket issued.)

Bottom line is, DBANG is NOT an upgrade, in any sense. It's a totally different system. and, it's not (IMHO) ready for prime time for many/most businesses. Some things do work, and work very well, but, well, we haven't bought it yet and are still open to alternatives (like EVO).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print