Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
04/25/24 at 16:42:50
News:
Home Help Search Login

Poll
Question: Should DBA Classic be Frozen with the current feature set?

Yes - We Don't use Classic at all anymore  
  25 (27.1%)
Yes - but we sometimes use Classic anyway  
  28 (30.4%)
Yes - We will replace any PC's we need to  
  2 (2.1%)
No - We need replace too many PC's now to use EVO  
  7 (7.6%)
No - We Have tried EVO, but we are not ready  
  12 (13%)
No - We Have NOT tried EVO yet  
  18 (19.5%)
Kevin picked stupid Options Sad  
  0 (0%)

Total votes: 92
« Last Modified by: on: 03/08/07 at 08:06:20 »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re: Wiki vr Classic Version (Read 14894 times)
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Re: Wiki vr Classic Version
Reply #15 - 03/22/07 at 10:07:20

It may take a couple more years to complete the conversion of all modules to TAS7. In the mean time, Evo~ERP is a vast improvement as is. Don't wait for some pie-in-the-sky "completion" date to jump on the Evo bandwagon. Having just 10% "done" is 100% better!

I think that another of the major benefits of freezing the Classic feature set is that new work on Evo will not have to be crippled so that both interfaces will work with the new features. The old "backwards compatibility" bugaboo can drive developers to drink.

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #16 - 03/22/07 at 11:22:46

Quote:

I think that another of the major benefits of freezing the Classic feature set is that new work on Evo will not have to be crippled so that both interfaces will work with the new features. The old "backwards compatibility" bugaboo can drive developers to drink.

Yes, this was one of my biggest concerns. I don't want Evo crippled just because classic was written back when punch cards were cool and computers were the size of refrigerators. (Just kidding!) Seriously, backwards compatibility sucks for the developer and usually for the end user. MS is taking a lot of flack for Vista and Apple took a lot for OSX but both broke backward compatibility for a reason. Granted, in Vista's case one might be forgiven for thinking that reason is to drive the end user crazy...

Give me encrypted passwords and better data layout and I'll be happy.... for a while...

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

EvoERP Version 1-22-10 SP3
5 User Workgroup Pervasive 10
Email WWW   IP Logged
Tim Goldstein

'Cause sooner or
later everyone needs
a chief geek

Reply #17 - 03/22/07 at 11:24:42

= Quote:

Amen Brother!  I would love to see a rewrite some of the file structures from Old DBA but it would really mess up classic!

With the drill, and grid features in EVO,  Most of what is needed information wise is available now with some tweaking!

Only next request,  Get off of Addsum Report editor and use Crystal reports

Tim
Email WWW timgolds timgolds   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #18 - 03/22/07 at 12:29:04

Quote from timgolds on 03/22/07 at 11:24:42:
= Quote:

Amen Brother! I would love to see a rewrite some of the file structures from Old DBA but it would really mess up classic!

With the drill, and grid features in EVO, Most of what is needed information wise is available now with some tweaking!

Only next request, Get off of Addsum Report editor and use Crystal reports

Yeah, I'd like to see CR in place of the Addsum editor (especially since I'm not even all that fond of Addsum but that's a different story) but CR licensing would greatly increase the price of not only development but distributing the program. Not everyone would want to shell out the money. Still, I think it would be interesting if us users reimplemented some of the reports in CR and shared them.

But, yes, please, lets get the data structures up to date!

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
kevind

I was more than
willing to
"pony up",
how b'out U?

Reply #19 - 03/22/07 at 13:48:46

I do like crystal reports.  However, I have always been in a quandary regarding internal distribution and use of crystal reports.

First, I used compiled Reports.  They worked really well.  I could set up other machines to run the reports and all was good.  Apparently, this was just too much value to us crystal customers, so support was dropped in version 8 or 8.5, (I can't remember which).

Then I set up the 'free' 5 'unnammed' user Crystal Enterprise Standard that came with my Crystal Professional 8.5.  It was somewhat difficult since they do not 'officially' support Apache (only the MOST used Web server in the world!?!?! ),  but I got it working despite their best efforts.  It sure is a bloated pig with all the services that run, ram requirements, etc.

Then I updated to Crystal Verstion 10.  

The 'free' Enterprise that came with it is a 5 'named' user version.  I haven't taken the time to install and make that work (just not a priority right now).

Now I've discovered This web site.  There are a lot of resourses here including a long list of Crystal Report Viewers!

I have not tried many of these.  I did try out This one and it seems to be really nice.  It can also be launched from a command line allowing it to be run by using DBAruncreate.

The price is reasonable, and it works with many versions of Crystal Reports (even the newest Ver 11).

Maybe, as a group, we could agree on a Viewer that would allow
distribution of Crystal repots to each other without regard to Version!?!?

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation
ISTECH 2004.1 7/26/13 SP1 - 20 user
Evo-ERP Build 7/25/13 T7 -7i R6 - 3 user
(Prev version was 2004.1 10/24/12)
(All Patches Installed as of 7/26/13)
Pervasive 2000i SP4 - Crystal Reports V10
Email WWW   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Reply #20 - 03/23/07 at 05:12:55

Quote from kevind on 03/22/07 at 13:48:46:

Maybe, as a group, we could agree on a Viewer that would allow
distribution of Crystal repots to each other without regard to Version!?!?

There's nothing stopping the group from developing the reports and using them in place of the RTMs as each sees fit. It might be nice to unify our focus onto one reader, as well, but I don't think we should expect IS Tech to put their effort toward this at any time in the near future. It would be problematic in that the Business Objects folks would likely make demands before IS Tech would be allowed to package reports with their product, no matter what reader would be used.

kevind

I was more than
willing to
"pony up",
how b'out U?

Reply #21 - 03/23/07 at 06:55:51

The group I was referring too is the user community with regard to the Crystal Initiative that was proposed.
It did not have anything to do with ISTECH as a company.

Here's the quote I was thinking of:
Quote from kkmfg on 02/23/07 at 10:23:29:
Yeah, it appears that the easiest means of progress, at this point, is to recreate the reports in Crystal Reports. In there you can do all of the things you want. But it requires everyone to buy CR.

( It was in a different thread.  Wink )

However, on the subject of Embedded reporting ( from this page ):
Quote:
Royalty-free runtime. Integrate hundreds of royalty-free runtime
properties, methods, and events into thick-client applications for
deployment at no extra cost.
(available in Server, Developer)*

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation
ISTECH 2004.1 7/26/13 SP1 - 20 user
Evo-ERP Build 7/25/13 T7 -7i R6 - 3 user
(Prev version was 2004.1 10/24/12)
(All Patches Installed as of 7/26/13)
Pervasive 2000i SP4 - Crystal Reports V10
Email WWW   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Reply #22 - 03/23/07 at 07:44:45

So, the only reason that folks would need CR is to modify the reports. They would also need a viewer to view the reports, which could be built into the app. However, the app. would have to be written in a supported language, which leaves TAS7 out, I suppose.

Well, regardless of the implementation (I'm sure that we will come up with several), we can start sharing our reports. We need a bucket on the Wiki and then we can start filling it.

kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #23 - 03/23/07 at 08:24:13

Well, the current reporting system is ReportBuilder and it's a Delphi component. I'd imagine that even though nobody uses Delphi that BusinessObjects would still support it. So it would still be theoretically possible to integrate it with TAS7. However, I doubt that my good buddy Tony will do that so we're probably still out in the cold.

Quote from GasGiant on 03/23/07 at 07:44:45:
So, the only reason that folks would need CR is to modify the reports. They would also need a viewer to view the reports, which could be built into the app. However, the app. would have to be written in a supported language, which leaves TAS7 out, I suppose.

Well, regardless of the implementation (I'm sure that we will come up with several), we can start sharing our reports. We need a bucket on the Wiki and then we can start filling it.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
TimZ
Browser

I Love EvoERP!

Reply #24 - 10/25/13 at 14:43:27

I've had to pull teeth to get users to change over from Classic to Evo.  Some of our users have been using Classic for close to 10 years, and when we needed additional seats Classic was maxed out, so we had to go Evo.  The most common complaints are:
-don't like the interface (solved for the most part by switching modules to 'Classic View')
-prefer text reports to PDF because more info can be squeezed into less space and it's easier to copy/paste from text report previews (again, mostly fixed by going to Classic View)
-network performance is faster in Classic (seems to get better in Classic View too, weirdly enough)
-sort list defaults (they didn't know how to change, but we eventually got it 'sorted')
-icons in Evo had no text indicators (again, Classic View fixes)
-work order schedules bug in Evo (that was fixed by a patch)
-weird multi-monitor behavior in Evo (still an open bug but we've figured out how to work around it)
-Evo tends to freeze/lock-up for a couple of users, though I've never witnessed it myself and it doesn't happen consistently enough to troubleshoot.

So basically, our users are happier running Evo in Classic View, and by changing some of the default programs called from Evo versions to Classic versions.  There was only one instance where the Evo View was preferred:  SO-A.  We could not figure out how to search by customer PO# in Classic View, but the users could in Evo View.

If Classic were to be frozen, I'm not sure how that would effect our ability to run in Classic View.  Would things eventually break as the two code bases start to diverge?

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #25 - 10/25/13 at 15:34:31

There is a difference between "Classic View" and the DBA version of an actual program.  Classic View is simply a different screen layout, only available for a certain group of programs and defined in Settings - US-A by user.  The program being run is still the new Evo version of the program in question.  "Freezing" Classic would have absolutely no impact on those programs because they are new T7 programs.  Running an old DBA program ("BK" program name) is different.  That is actually an old program compiled in the old TAS 5 compiler.  However, even if we "freeze" Classic (which for the most part we have, although the new payment terms are available in both) if data structures are changed, we will recompile the old programs to the new structures.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
TimZ
Browser

I Love EvoERP!

Reply #26 - 10/28/13 at 12:14:47

Thanks, Lynn.  I didn't realize how old this thread was til after posting!  But your reply is still helpful.

Tim

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print