Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
04/20/24 at 03:30:45
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Error accessing non-TAS file (Read 2886 times)
Dick

Error accessing non-TAS file
03/15/07 at 08:44:00

One workstation started getting insistent errors running IN-A in Classic after I ran EVO Setup on it. (It didn't create an EVO icon, and I haven't run EVO on it, so maybe the install went wrong.)
"Error accessing non-TAS file c:\ISTS\WHOAMI.DBA"  Then a 2nd message twice: "...can't find error message in Errmsg.b  405".  Why is Classic calling this?
What's the fix?
And if the EVO install is bad, can I un-install it? how? Or just re-install over?

Thanks anybody.

Dick

Dick Gardner
TECO Corp
dba Classic 2004.1 C/S + EVO
IS Tech Upgrade 3/28/08
  IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Re: Error accessing non-TAS file
Reply #1 - 03/15/07 at 16:48:40

I suspect you had created a C:\ISTS folder on the workstation that the Admin owns and the user does not have access to.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Dick

Reply #2 - 03/16/07 at 07:08:55

Now it's time for my Win XP lesson.  Classic does work under my Admin login without this error, but not the user's login.  
What do I need to change?  I didn't intentionally do anything different on this workstation than on the ones that work just fine.
I'll take notes and be ready for a pop quiz.
At this point I'd be glad to temporarily un-install EVO  on that machine.  How can I do that?

Thanks.

Dick

Dick Gardner
TECO Corp
IS Tech Upgrade 3/28/08
  IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #3 - 03/16/07 at 14:27:13

Delete the C:\ISTS folder.  Then, while logged into Windows as the user (not Admin) create C:\ISTS and copy any file into it so that it is not empty.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Dick

Reply #4 - 03/20/07 at 07:26:25

All set.  Thanks Lynn.

Dick

Dick Gardner
TECO Corp
IS Tech Upgrade 3/28/08
  IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #5 - 06/06/14 at 12:39:30

I had an XP workstation die, so I robbed another DBA workstation from another location that was seldom used.   When I hooked it up the old workstation at the new location,  I found that it would not print to the Brother printer.  It would not print a Word Doc or even a simple TXT file.  After some  research  I figured that the user didn't have printer privileges.  I tried all different methods so that the user could print to no avail.  I finally gave up.   Then I tried to see how the user would function in DBA.   When I tried to print something  (list it to the screen) I would get "  An error has occurred while accessing a non-TAS file.  - C'|ISTS\WHOAMI.DBA.   I knew that I needed to delete the file as the admin and then log in as the user and create another ISTS file for him.    

Of course this fixed it, but much to my JOY it seems to have also fixed the problem with not being able to print to our Brother printer.    

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print