Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DBA Support (Read 6411 times)
3meters
Browser

I Love YaBB 2!

DBA Support
05/09/07 at 22:22:44

We've just begun evaluating dba's NG system (EziJobz SME) for an 'engineering-to-order' company.  Needs are relatively modest at this point and the system appears to be a good fit.

Not too certain, however, is whether the dba company is up to providing support.  Their approach to the pre-sales relationship is underwhelming.  The free single user system is a great idea and an easy way to get a feel for how it all works, however pre-sales support is either paid or non-existent.  Without this critical piece, there's no way to fully test-drive the software or the company itself before making a commitment.

Can anyone provide some insight / experience in their dealings with dba support?  If you're on a paid support plan, do they provide timely responses to user/implementation questions and bug fixes?  Are they courteous to you and/or your users?

Has anyone experience any major bugs or data loss with this product?

Thank you for any comments you can provide.

IP Logged
skyking
Browser

SkyKing

Re: DBA Support
Reply #1 - 05/14/07 at 07:34:13

I have used DBA-NG for over a year and my opinion of them is not good. Contact me if you want more info...

IP Logged
Xeyes
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 06/14/07 at 00:22:37

Ticketing system usually isn't bad, I've been getting responses usually fairly quickly. Sometimes I get a quick answer if it's a simple support question. Sometimes I get told to RTFM (my words), but the manual backs me up and they just say the manual is out of date. (Manual is still out of date in a lot of areas - things flat out don't work as described). Sometimes I get arguments because I can't/won't do something the way they think I should (usually, what's easier for them to work with, not what's actually needed in the shop). Sometimes I get an issue sent to programming (after extensive testing to document the exact steps required to duplicate it at their end). Just about fell off my chair the other day - actually got a personal support call and on-line session. The result? Next day I got told (again, my words) "You're right, it doesn't work. Tough sh*t." Are they courteous? I have to say yes. One of their techs is ok to deal with. Even if I don't always like what he's saying, he's (usually) willing to listen and understand what the issue is from my user perspective, and willing to admit a mistake when they happen. The others, I get the impression, are pretty green. They basically seem to say what they're told to say.

Fixes are a different matter entirely. There's a standard disclaimer that they give you when sending something to the black hole called programming - they will be fixed in the order that benefits the most users. Apparently that means that, if you have 25+ users you stand a chance. We have 1, and are still waiting for fixes that date back to the release of ver 3. (not including their dropping the configurator). Updates are getting more frequent, but I usually lose more in the update than I gain.

The ezijobz system they bought had more bugs than the Yukon, many of them structural. Some of them have been fixed, some not. We need the service module, since we do a lot of service-type (job-shop) work. Still waiting for fixes, though there have been a lot of changes to other areas, especially accounting. From the sounds of things, although they are promising an update to the service job module, the direction they say they are going to move in makes me wonder how long it'll actually be useful.

Specific issues for me, at the moment, have to do with purchasing and cost reporting - neither of them works well.  

Data loss? Data I can't get at through NG reporting because of the way they do their reports, but not really lost. Major bugs depends on the user environment. Items have key fields that should be unique system-wide, NG uses the visible part number as its key field in BOTH Items and descriptors with no crosschecking between them. Since you use both types of "parts" in a common BOM, it's easy to duplicate a number and confuse things. Nothing in the docs, and apparently it's not their problem to solve. Want to charge a purchase to a job? Item has to be added to job, then PO created from there if you want the costs linked. Anything added to the PO afterwards goes into stock (or wherever) but NOT to job. Buying a non-stocked part into a job is a major pain, and not going to get better.  You can set up a miscellaneous non-stock descriptor for purchases like that, and the costs are received properly in the database, but you need a different miscellaneous descriptor for every non-stock line on that PO because the reporting pulls costs out by part (descriptor) number. Nothing in the manual about that. Their freeform alternative works the same way (ie doesn't) even though it's the recommended procedure for this in the manual and is, in any case, being discontinued. Apparently EVERYTHING I buy that is "stockable" should be an inventory item (their words) with an assigned part number. Their program tracks items (their words) not costs (mine).

There are some things that I really like about the system, but I'm losing confidence.  

Anything else you want to know?

IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #3 - 06/14/07 at 04:53:54

I don't know about everyone else but after having read your reply I have to say: If you had been describing the sights and smells of a dung heap you might have had more nice things to say. You claim that you like some things about the system but I'm at a loss as to what those things might be. Granted, we tried out DBA NG and absolutely hated it. It's nice to see that we're not alone.  

Actually, it's a shame that their programmers are so inept. The idea was sound and the technological underpinnings of DBA NG are far better than DBA or EVO. But even with better ingredients they have still managed to make a steaming pile of horse droppings.

There is no excuse for the lack of referential integrity in DBA NG. Firebird DB has a vast array of support for foreign keys and other such referential integrity mechanisms.

After reading your reply I'm quite glad that our company went with EvoERP instead of Dba NG. I don't like Tas7 or Pervasive SQL but at least I get the impression that Alan and the rest of the gang actually know how to program. That's always a plus! Wink

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

EvoERP Version 1-22-10 SP3
5 User Workgroup Pervasive 10
Email WWW   IP Logged
Xeyes
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 06/14/07 at 21:56:52

I don't like that the overall tone was as negative as it ended up being, but some of the issues in NG are buried. If someone wants to look at it, bless'em, but pay attention to the details  that aren't in their videos and TEST anything you read before you believe it. It does have value, and some relatively big operations are using it.

As I said, there are things I do like - mainly the data visibility. BOM access, which is often both hidden and limited in function in other programs, is right there. Reports (some need work) and inquiry functions (where used, history, availability, etc) are right there. Context switching between workflow functions is more than adequate in most areas (though there are hiccups) and getting better. Cost rollups, often the bain of other programs, are a trivial matter to do. The data grids and screen outputs mean I can format, filter and sort any of those screens quickly without exporting to excel first, and then output the prepped list to printer, file, etc.. The methods sytem is interesting and occasionally useful. For our operation, with limited requirements (most or all of what we need is available in most other related systems, it's the BOM aspect that typically falls short) it should be a piece of cake. Firebird, for me, has been plug & play, very compact and no problems. Time recording has improved dramatically since I first looked at NG - still slower than what we use now, but worth a serious review soon.

I don't know who was responsible for the list of features in Classic, but I seriously think they aren't with DBA now. Too many fundamental differences in program direction, and the "philosophies" they are trying to promote show a lack of understanding of how a working shop does things and why.  

You probably made the right choice for your operation. For ours, EVO has too many similarities with what we are coming from, that didn't work. I still have the demo, though, and it's still installed  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Steve Stoneman
Browser

Reply #5 - 07/12/07 at 10:36:12

Well, I am going to give a report here. I'll try to be brief.

Three months ago we decided to finally bite the bullet and go with NG. We 'felt' that the manufacturing side would fit our requirements better. NOTE: All we started up was purchasing and payables.

We paid to have our data converted, just so I did not have that headache. It took three attempts to "get it right" by our vendor. At least as "right' as we could determine. Then the vendor expressed surprise that we were actually going to go live. (SAY WHAT??? Isn't that what this is all about????? You are a very trusted consultant for DBA NG and you are surprised?) Trust me, they really, really mean it when they say the data transfer is not production ready. Be completely warned: It does not transfer everything you need. =Clue #1

We started having posting problems in the GL. Transactions were first not posting. Told DBA who replied "Yep, there appears to be a bug there." To their credit, they dropped a fix the next day. But ...... hey, how do I fix the transactions that are lost in space??? Hello???? Hello??? =Clue#2

We couldn't track costs the way Classic did because the GL was much more rigid to what accounts could be set up. DBA said "yep, that is the way it is." We did get two very detailed polite emails detailing the answer, but it still comes down to that I must adapt. =Clue #3

Tickets referred to programming disappear totally. I got the same canned response. =Clue#4

Today, we discovered a whole new crop of transactions posting into a vacuum somewhere. We know they were put in properly because the program won't let you proceed to the next step. The posting is just gone. =Clue#5

Reports are inadequate and impossible to alter because there is no up to date data dictionary. =Clue#6

Unbelievably, there isn't even a check register that you can go back and print. Go ahead - try it in the demo. =Clue#7

OK, so Sherlock finally wakes up: This is never going to work at this point. My accounting guru here has 20 years experience with multiple different packages and has never seen anything like this. This is just PO and AP I am talking about. And I haven't even started up the manufacturing stuff. What horrors lie in wait there?

So, today, I made the decision to return to Classic.  

Moral: Do not even consider that this is an advanced or updated version to Classic. It is a totally different program whose goal is to do many of the same things that Classic does. It is just an alternative like any other MRP/ERP out there and should be approached with that mind set. EVALUATE and TEST in parallel.

Just sharing my experience.

WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #6 - 07/12/07 at 10:50:39

Quote from Steve Stoneman on 07/12/07 at 10:36:12:

We paid to have our data converted, just so I did not have that headache. It took three attempts to "get it right" by our vendor. At least as "right' as we could determine. Then the vendor expressed surprise that we were actually going to go live. (SAY WHAT??? Isn't that what this is all about????? You are a very trusted consultant for DBA NG and you are surprised?) Trust me, they really, really mean it when they say the data transfer is not production ready. Be completely warned: It does not transfer everything you need. =Clue #1

DBA is at least fairly up front about that. I was aware that they don't guarantee anything in data conversion. It's one of the reasons we're using Evo instead of NG.  

Quote:

We started having posting problems in the GL. Transactions were first not posting. Told DBA who replied "Yep, there appears to be a bug there." To their credit, they dropped a fix the next day. But ...... hey, how do I fix the transactions that are lost in space??? Hello???? Hello??? =Clue#2

Short answer: you don't get those transactions back. You have to practically reverse engineer what they were supposed to be and manually add them.  

Quote:

We couldn't track costs the way Classic did because the GL was much more rigid to what accounts could be set up. DBA said "yep, that is the way it is." We did get two very detailed polite emails detailing the answer, but it still comes down to that I must adapt. =Clue #3

Yes, any time you switch software you'll take it in the shorts a few times. New software = new things to adapt to.

Quote:

Tickets referred to programming disappear totally. I got the same canned response. =Clue#4

Yes, this is what I love about ISTech. They actually talk to you and you can bug them when things aren't working yet.

Quote:

Reports are inadequate and impossible to alter because there is no up to date data dictionary. =Clue#6

Umm... It's a SQL interface, there isn't any such thing as a data dictionary anymore. At least there shouldn't be. It's simple, simple, simple to get the structure of a table in a SQL based DB.

Quote:

Moral: Do not even consider that this is an advanced or updated version to Classic. It is a totally different program whose goal is to do many of the same things that Classic does. It is just an alternative like any other MRP/ERP out there and should be approached with that mind set. EVALUATE and TEST in parallel.

Just sharing my experience.

Yes, it's a TOTALLY different program. And the users here hate the way it's setup. It's akin to Microsoft buying OSX and switching all windows users to it. It's that different and that shocking of a change.

I still maintain that it's SQL based layout is better than BTRIEVE and Delphi is better than TAS.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
Steve Stoneman
Browser

Reply #7 - 07/12/07 at 11:00:33

"Umm... It's a SQL interface, there isn't any such thing as a data dictionary anymore. At least there shouldn't be. It's simple, simple, simple to get the structure of a table in a SQL based DB. "

Well, DBA referred me to the Data dictionary that comes with NG in the "File>Data Dictionary" menu. The problem we had is that there are tables not even being used anymore, even thought they are present and I can't tell very easily what is valid or not. I have Crystal reports and the ODBC driver for Firebird, etc. It was just too much for us. Like trying to find a needle in a haystack. It is nuts.

WWW   IP Logged
NovaZyg
Administrator

When all else
fails.. Read the
instructions.

Reply #8 - 07/12/07 at 11:41:43

So.. stop banging your head against a wall and upgrade your Classic to Evo.. It will feel so much better when you stop.

(Blatant sales pitch)  Roll Eyes

Allen Landry
Evo~ERP

EvoERP and DBA Classic always Beta's of the Latest versions.

WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #9 - 07/12/07 at 12:53:39

Quote from Steve Stoneman on 07/12/07 at 11:00:33:
"Umm... It's a SQL interface, there isn't any such thing as a data dictionary anymore. At least there shouldn't be. It's simple, simple, simple to get the structure of a table in a SQL based DB. "

Well, DBA referred me to the Data dictionary that comes with NG in the "File>Data Dictionary" menu. The problem we had is that there are tables not even being used anymore, even thought they are present and I can't tell very easily what is valid or not. I have Crystal reports and the ODBC driver for Firebird, etc. It was just too much for us. Like trying to find a needle in a haystack. It is nuts.

Hmm that's really weird. If you really want to know the structure of a SQL based database you can do things like:

show databases;
show tables;
describe DBANG.Transactions; (if that were a table)

No data dictionary is needed. Crystal Reports can directly query the database to find out about databases, tables, and fields. There are no separate data dictionaries. Unless Firebird is somehow an exception but I am 95% sure that it isn't.

Anyway, you should do what NovaZyg says and get EvoERP despite the fact that Evo uses btrieve and TAS. (oh how I love TAS and btrieve...)

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
Steve Stoneman
Browser

Reply #10 - 07/12/07 at 13:12:03

NovaZyg - we will probably be talking! Got to take a breather first. Tongue

WWW   IP Logged
Xeyes
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 07/12/07 at 20:26:19

You say you've got crystal & odbc driver ETC.

Not knowing what the ETC includes, IMHO you cannot do any report-building or bug tracking without something like IBEXPERT.

518 tables, 755 indexes, etc. (currently) need something that lets you scoot around the database quickly, and view/compare data.

LOTS of obsolete tables, lots of ID fields that are linked with different names in different tables, lots of duplicated field data. lips sealed

There are even 3 tables relating to a data dictionary (don't get your hopes up, they seem out-of-date too).

IP Logged
Steve Stoneman
Browser

Reply #12 - 07/13/07 at 05:52:33

You are right, you definitely need more help looking at things. I had not heard of IBEXPERT. I ended up getting the Firebird Data Wizard from http://www.sqlmaestro.com/

It helped me view the data much easier and even output it into excel spreadsheets for me to peruse. Absolutely great tools but still looked like nondescript spaghetti to me (more like dog worms). I had to step back and say, "This is nuts!"

WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #13 - 07/13/07 at 06:27:50

Sure sounds like somebody should write a book:  

"How to totally mismanage your business and drive it into the ground: The DBA NG Story"

Or:

"How NOT to program an ERP package: Lessons from DBA NG"

Wink

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
Xeyes
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 07/13/07 at 22:51:56

never heard of sqlmaestro, but I'll look at it.

IBExpert has free personal edition, lots of functions (most of which I can't use yet, or don't need).

-

I wonder if they wouldn't be better off open-sourcing it? Or, maybe linking it to an outside accounting package and concentrating on the shop end of things for now. There are things that are unique in it, with lots of potential.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print