Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Version 11 very slow? (Read 5205 times)
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Version 11 very slow?
09/05/07 at 07:01:33

At first, on some reports it was taking so long to refresh data that I thought something must be broken, and I would end up using Task Manager to kill it.

For instance, I have a report I use for commission that uses BKARCUST, BKARHINV, BKARHIVL & BKICMSTR, using ODBC. In version 8 it would take about 5 seconds to display one months worth of data. In v11 it's taking minutes - I haven't timed it, but probably close to 10. Most of the time is spent "Accessing Database".

Do I need to set something up differently?

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Re: Version 11 very slow?
Reply #1 - 09/05/07 at 08:51:56

You might keep an eye on the network usage while the report is running. If little data is passing around then something weird is going on. Is the CPU utilization quite high when the report generates? Also, is it possible that for some reason v11 is requesting the entire file instead of just requesting the month's worth of data? Watching network utilization could help diagnose that too.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

EvoERP Version 1-22-10 SP3
5 User Workgroup Pervasive 10
Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #2 - 09/05/07 at 09:34:31

Just ran it again.

CPU utilization 2-6%
Network utilization 0-0.75%

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #3 - 09/05/07 at 12:05:16

That sounds pretty lazy. Maybe you need to give your computer a pep talk or a raise or something. Wink

Within DBA (I never did get CR)
If I run DE-A and export an inventory list with part #, price, and desc I get about 1% utilization of the network. If I output every field I get about .3% utilization. But that's probably because it's an interpreted language. DBA never gets anywhere close to using the network link here. (We've even got 2.4Ghz P4 machines!)

As for CR... Well, it's a bit odd that one version is so slow and the other is not. Have you tried running the same or similar report in both one after the other? Does v8 still run much faster than 11? Maybe there is some sort of driver issue? It seems like there should not be as both 8 and 11 should use the same Pervasive ODBC driver. Have you tried designing a report from scratch in v11 to see if maybe there is some sort of weird glitch when importing V8 reports?

I guess all I can do is try to help brainstorm... Hopefully it helps to get you on the right track...

Quote from David Waldmann on 09/05/07 at 09:34:31:
Just ran it again.

CPU utilization 2-6%
Network utilization 0-0.75%

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #4 - 09/05/07 at 13:03:30

Quote from kkmfg on 09/05/07 at 12:05:16:
That sounds pretty lazy. Maybe you need to give your computer a pep talk or a raise or something. Wink

I'm not sure what you're getting at. It seems like you are reporting just about the same thing I did. Unless I am misinterpreting?

Have you tried running the same or similar report in both one after the other? Does v8 still run much faster than 11?

I first opened the v8 report in v11 and it took a long time, I saved it in v11 and then opened the original in v8 and it was still fast. I then refreshed it in v11 again and it was still a long time.

Have you tried designing a report from scratch in v11 to see if maybe there is some sort of weird glitch when importing V8 reports?

Haven't tried that yet. Maybe I'll give it a go if I can't figure anything else out.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #5 - 09/06/07 at 07:33:10

[quote author=David Waldmann link=1189000893/0#4 date=1189026210]Quote from kkmfg on 09/05/07 at 12:05:16:

I'm not sure what you're getting at. It seems like you are reporting just about the same thing I did. Unless I am misinterpreting?
[quote]

Just joking really...  

Although, if the bottleneck were TAS you'd expect to see the CPU usage a lot higher. If the bottleneck were network related you should have at least 20% network utilization. Since both your CPU and your network utilization were nearly non-existant we need to look for another cause. As I had mentioned before, you could try making a new report in v11 and see what happens. if that doesn't work then I'm not sure what is going on. I know how you could find out but it's somewhat drastic. You *could* download AMD CodeAnalyst. It is a full system profiler and will tell you what the system spent it's time on. Assuming most things have debugging symbol tables you should even see the function names. The TAS7 runtime is however encrypted and has debugger traps so I do not know how well a profiler would like it. I do, however, believe that it has a symbol table. However, unless you've ever done something like that before it's probably not something you want to get into now. At any rate it's pretty obvious that your system is sitting around idle most of the time (in V11) for seemingly no reason at all. The key is to figure out what it's waiting for. The above discussion on system profiling is one way to try to get to the bottom of that.

Quote:

Have you tried running the same or similar report in both one after the other? Does v8 still run much faster than 11?

I first opened the v8 report in v11 and it took a long time, I saved it in v11 and then opened the original in v8 and it was still fast. I then refreshed it in v11 again and it was still a long time.

Have you tried designing a report from scratch in v11 to see if maybe there is some sort of weird glitch when importing V8 reports?

Haven't tried that yet. Maybe I'll give it a go if I can't figure anything else out.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #6 - 09/06/07 at 07:53:25

Quote from kkmfg on 09/06/07 at 07:33:10:
You *could* download AMD CodeAnalyst. It is a full system profiler and will tell you what the system spent it's time on. Assuming most things have debugging symbol tables you should even see the function names. The TAS7 runtime is however encrypted and has debugger traps so I do not know how well a profiler would like it. I do, however, believe that it has a symbol table. However, unless you've ever done something like that before it's probably not something you want to get into now.

Hmmm, yeah that sounds a bit over my head.

Thanks for the clarification and thoughts though.

Kevin is taking a look at my v8 report through his v10. Will let you know if he/we find anything.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
kevind

I was more than
willing to
"pony up",
how b'out U?

Reply #7 - 09/06/07 at 12:36:50

The Root cause problem with this report is that the Invoice Date field in BKARHINV is not Indexed.

Lynn / Allan - Could an index for this field be added to this table?

I do not know why the V8 of this report ran so fast.  Both are accessing the DBA data with ODBC.

By using INVTXN (where invoice date IS indexed), the report can be made to run very fast.

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation
ISTECH 2004.1 7/26/13 SP1 - 20 user
Evo-ERP Build 7/25/13 T7 -7i R6 - 3 user
(Prev version was 2004.1 10/24/12)
(All Patches Installed as of 7/26/13)
Pervasive 2000i SP4 - Crystal Reports V10
Email WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #8 - 09/06/07 at 12:52:43

Quote from kevind on 09/06/07 at 12:36:50:
The Root cause problem with this report is that the Invoice Date field in BKARHINV is not Indexed.

Lynn / Allan - Could an index for this field be added to this table?

I do not know why the V8 of this report ran so fast. Both are accessing the DBA data with ODBC.

By using INVTXN (where invoice date IS indexed), the report can be made to run very fast.

Hmmm, beats me why one would run so much faster than the other in that case.  

What I do know is that you pay a performance penalty in both database size and write speed when you add a bunch of indices. If the index isn't absolutely necessary then it's up for debate whether it should really be added. If the necessary data can all be culled from invtxn instead then maybe it would be best to query that table instead and leave bkarhinv alone.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
kevind

I was more than
willing to
"pony up",
how b'out U?

Reply #9 - 09/06/07 at 13:35:24

Quote:
What I do know is that you pay a performance penalty in both database size and write speed when you add a bunch of indices. If the index isn't absolutely necessary then it's up for debate whether it should really be added. If the necessary data can all be culled from invtxn instead then maybe it would be best to query that table instead and leave bkarhinv alone.

In the context of this table (BKARHINV) ...

1. With Multi Gig Drives, database size is not a factor (for us anyway)

2. Write Speed would only be a factor if thousands of records were inserted in an operation.  Invoicing does not involve Thousands of records at a time.

3. "Stealing" the Invoice date index from INVTXN is very inefficient because it adds a level of joining burden on the Relational Engine and for each unique invoice number, there are several records in this table with this number (one for each line item) that the relational engine must throw out (wasted time).
The Best SQL is simple SQL (but not too simple! - Albert Einstein  Wink  ).

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation
Email WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #10 - 09/06/07 at 13:40:03

Quote from kevind on 09/06/07 at 13:35:24:
Quote:

In the context of this table (BKARHINV) ...

1. With Multi Gig Drives, database size is not a factor (for us anyway)

2. Write Speed would only be a factor if thousands of records were inserted in an operation. Invoicing does not involve Thousands of records at a time.

3. "Stealing" the Invoice date index from INVTXN is very inefficient because it adds a level of joining burden on the Relational Engine and for each unique invoice number, there are several records in this table with this number (one for each line item) that the relational engine must throw out (wasted time).
The Best SQL is simple SQL (but not too simple! - Albert Einstein Wink ).

#1: I suppose that's true.  
#2: Yes, the index must be updated on every write but if you are doing very few writes then the performance drop will be very small.
#3: Yes, in that case I see your point.

So forget what I said. Wink

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
dameng

DBA / EVO Software
Consultant

Reply #11 - 09/08/07 at 09:36:28

Kevin,
since the data is being accessed thru the ODBC, in either version, you can edit the Table definition in Pervasive and create your own index.

hth

Dave Mengelkamp
Digital Consulting
davemeng@earthlink.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
kevind

I was more than
willing to
"pony up",
how b'out U?

Reply #12 - 09/08/07 at 10:16:58

Yes, I have done this with our in house applications that use Pervasive.

However, I believe that any changes to the database would be undone if ODBCDDF is run again.
ODBCDDF may need to be modified in order to make the new indexed field STICK.
The only reason to run ODBCDDF more than once is to incorporate changes to the ODBC database when changes happen in the Btrieve Tables.
I already have a .SQL script I run on the .DDF's created by ODBCDDF to enable security and define views that I use in some reports.

Since the TAS programs are so tightly bound to the Btrieve Tables, I assumed that my additional index would end up getting bounced.
(Collin ... I know "you hate Btrieve / TAS"   Grin )

Allan / Lynn ... Is this true, or can I add indexes to my tables ???

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation
Email WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #13 - 09/09/07 at 08:38:44

When you use ODBC you are just using the relational engine to access the btrieve data. I would highly doubt that adding an index in ODBC could be possible if it did not also add the index in the btrieve files. An index, after all, should be stored on disk if it's to do any good. Why would PervasiveSQL create an index only for ODBC? My guess is that you can add indices to a btrieve table but that the original program won't necessarily use the index.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
kevind

I was more than
willing to
"pony up",
how b'out U?

Reply #14 - 09/09/07 at 18:34:17

Quote from kkmfg on 09/09/07 at 08:38:44:
When you use ODBC you are just using the relational engine to access the btrieve data. I would highly doubt that adding an index in ODBC could be possible if it did not also add the index in the btrieve files. An index, after all, should be stored on disk if it's to do any good. Why would PervasiveSQL create an index only for ODBC? My guess is that you can add indices to a btrieve table but that the original program won't necessarily use the index.

Yes, That is true.  The index is embedded in the table (unless you create an Index only file).  I do not believe that the
TAS applications will not use it because they are not written to access any invoice data by date.  In programs that allow
you to specify an invoice date, the program logic will compare dates of records returned and ignore any that do not fall in the specified range.
This is an example of some of the old junk code that ISTECH support has to deal with.  Works great on the Demo data that has 12 records in the
file, but is not practical for real datasets.

My concern was regarding the ODBCDDF.RUN program that creates the ODBC compatible DDF files.  
If it is not modified, then when it creates the INDEX.DDF file, it will not include the definition for any new indexes that have been
created (and embedded) in the tables.

Now, having said that, it is only necessary to run ODBCDDF.RUN when there is a change to the table definition.  This does not happen
very often.  It would be nice if I did not lose the newly created index when it becomes necessary to run ODBCDDF.RUN in the future.

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print