Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
04/19/24 at 15:30:52
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Classic to NG - How do they compare? (Read 2451 times)
MCMAL
Browser

I Love YaBB 2!

Classic to NG - How do they compare?
09/12/07 at 19:47:26

I am looking for input from Forum members on converting from Classic to NG.  The company I work with does all custom make to order jobs.  Complexity varies widely between jobs.  We have been using Classic for several years and are utilizing Sales, Inventory, Purchasing, and GL.  Currently we are not capturing labor but want to implement along with job costing and work orders.  We have been reviewing NG and would like to hear feedback from others who have considered/tried/converted.  Any help and comments will be appreciated.

Thank you -

MCMAL

IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Re: Classic to NG - How do they compare?
Reply #1 - 09/13/07 at 05:19:48

while($NG == "No Good") {
   $DBA_Evo = "Best Choice\n";
   return $DBA_Evo;
}

Best Choice
Best Choice
Best Choice
Best Choice
Best Choice
Best Choice

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
Dawn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 09/13/07 at 06:37:02

We do a lot of custom work and many different varieties some machine some labor intensive (check out our website to see what I mean www.cellox.com) and I love Classic for capturing job costing and all data related to those jobs. I just got Crystal Reports to hopefully pull all the data I am looking at into one sheet.

If you choose to impement that side I suggest you spend a lot of time thinking it thru all the way to the GL.  ie COGS, Absorbed labor, Absorbed Fixed OH and Absorbed Variable OH.  Discuss with your production managers how production flows and see were you can group depts together and what they want to see.  It has really good information for them if they choose to look at it.  When you enter in new GL accounts you have the option of using department codes.  I hate that.  It makes my statements look messy.  I break each group out by their own GL number with corresponding sales accounts.  Makes for better explanation to the bosses.  You can really see where your money is going.  What ever you do don't use a general "bucket" account to capture information.  It makes it very hard to break out information later on.  

Good luck!!

Dawn
Classic - 7/5/10 update
WWW   IP Logged
MrMagic
Browser

Hello Dum-Dumbs!

Reply #3 - 10/08/07 at 13:01:06

Well Mcmal
  I was with DBA for a long time and tried to convert to Easy Jobs and Next Gen. I am very well versed at working with data and all the mishaps that go along with it…. After multiple attempts at conversion and the DBA tech department scratching their heads.  cry
  So I called Lynn at IS Tech Support and I was happily and easily converted almost at once… including an add-on program for bin control that I had written by an ex DBA person. Smiley  
 You will be much happier and have extra time on your hands to just go with EVO_DBA. Of course this is just my opinion!
  The folks at IS Tech Support are the best. And the support is very reasonable. Granted, you are most likely not paying anything with DBA/EJ/NG (or what ever they are calling themselves this month). But paying nothing for useless information is not saving you anything is it?  
 If it were, you would not be here asking questions about conversions which are not going to happen.      

MrMagic
Concept Labs Inc.

Larry Musich - MIS - Concept Laboratories Inc.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Xeyes
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 10/27/07 at 00:50:04

Short answer is, they don't.

Have a very careful look at NG, by all means. There are some things that are great. For custom stuff you're getting into a problem area. Although some capability is there, it is very inefficient. Check out the purchasing workflow and restrictions CAREFULLY. Check out the reporting CAREFULLY, keeping in mind that many important reports cannot be edited. Check out the workflow for a tricky job including mid-job changes, unique parts and assemblies, and see if the tools provided work for you.

Their improvements and bugfixes seem oriented to accounting issues and shops that process a lot of standard stock items on a lot of workorders. Features that make custom work useable get low priority or, in some cases, flat-out refused for what they apparently think are valid reasons.

Replies to questions or issues are usually prompt. That's "replies" not "solutions".

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print