Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/05/24 at 06:26:12
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Barcoded Packing Lists, DBA Classic (Read 2087 times)
AndyOB

Humm...

Barcoded Packing Lists, DBA Classic
03/03/08 at 16:57:39

OK, so I came here a while ago and while I haven't (yet) decided weather or not to take up EvoERP or DBANG, I have run into an issue with DBA Classic.

I'm trying to add barcodes to forms, like packing lists, invoices, and I can't. Everyone tells me you can't because DBA 2004.1 just doesn't let you do it.

I find it hard to believe there's absolutely no way to do this, and so I'm basically pleading with every source I can think of for a solution. It's pretty simple, we just want barcodes for each line time that indicates the part number, and one for qty. and a barcode up top for the PO number and SO number.

This shouldn't be rocket science, but for some reason DBA Classic doesn't let you add new DBBarCode fields to RTM forms.

Any suggestions? Yes, I'll pay for the time if that's what it takes.

Respond here, cc: andy@nortra-cables.com

Thanks in advance,
Andy

--
Andy O'Brien of Nortra Cables, Inc.
Milpitas, CA
WWW AndyOB   IP Logged
Tim Goldstein

'Cause sooner or
later everyone needs
a chief geek

Re: Barcoded Packing Lists, DBA Classic
Reply #1 - 03/03/08 at 22:50:22

I know you don't want to hear this,  but you can't!

You can use Excel or Access with a barcode font and do it. or crystal reports.  however until you move to Evo  you will never be able to do it on your own.  This is becasue of the way the RTM editor is written  the database fields are hard coded into the RTM without the links in the document to edit them.  You can not add any new data field that's not aready there.  As a matter of fact,  NEVER delete a database field that is in the RTM or the RTM will never work again!

If you upgrade to Evo,  The new RTMs actually can have the data links added, removed and changed around.  However,  Evo uses a different set of RTMs that DBA (DBA begins with BK while EVOs begins with T6)

I would highly reccomend moveing to Evo anyway since you will get what you want plus a lot more you didn't know you needed!  i.e. Drill down menus, Multi company transfer,  Handheld screens, Calandar grid lookups, Windows compatible scrren, the ability to be in more than one scrren at a time, the ability to completly customixe the menus..........

If you really want a custom RTM for DBA,  talk to Lynn.  they have the ability to take the RTM apart and manually rebuild it with almost any information you want.  My two cents is upgrading to Evo will be better, less costly in the long run and quicker.

Sorry,

Tim

Tim
Email WWW timgolds timgolds   IP Logged
kevind

I was more than
willing to
"pony up",
how b'out U?

Reply #2 - 03/04/08 at 12:04:05

Hmmmm?!?   undecided

I guess that I can't do THIS than, can I?

For Fixed length fields, you can use a font called 39251.ttf.

Just remember to put an '*' before and after your fixed length field.

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation
ISTECH 2004.1 7/26/13 SP1 - 20 user
Evo-ERP Build 7/25/13 T7 -7i R6 - 3 user
(Prev version was 2004.1 10/24/12)
(All Patches Installed as of 7/26/13)
Pervasive 2000i SP4 - Crystal Reports V10
Email WWW   IP Logged
AndyOB

Humm...

Reply #3 - 03/07/08 at 14:31:01

Hello Kevin and Tim,

Thanks ever so much for the responses.

The only problem with updating to Evo is were currently debating DBANG, and I may not be one to change the minds of the powers that be, but this is a discussion for another topic at another time. At some point I may do a comparison check again, I checked out Evo a while back, liked what I saw, and the head guy is the "if it's not broke, why fix it" type, and our engineers are "we need more accountability, which dba lacks" I think, or something along those lines.

Anyways, Kevin, what did you do that form in? I'm sure it's not terribly difficult I have a collect of fonts for barcodes from wasp tech, but i'll check out the font you mentioned. I'm guessing you made a field and just edited the RTM raw in a text editor or something? If it's that easy I can probably figure it out. I'll have to experiment more next week.

Thanks for your help guys, might see more of me in the coming months, really trying to get is in happy happy fun time mode, it's quite the learning experience.

-a.

--
Milpitas, CA
WWW AndyOB   IP Logged
kevind

I was more than
willing to
"pony up",
how b'out U?

Reply #4 - 03/07/08 at 15:08:54

Andy,
You use "Modify Forms" from the file menu in Classic.

Be sure to keep a copy of the original file in a separate folder somewhere.
You many also want to consider making a new folder were you keep all your customized ones.

The basic idea is to make a copy of the field that you want to bar code.
Move this copy to another location on the form, and change the font to the bar code font.

The tricky part is to put a text field at each end of the field to bar code that consists of an '*'.
Code 39 requires an '*' at each end to delineate the data.  This also allows the
bar code scanner to detect if you are scanning it forwards, or backwards.

I have not barcoded any variable length fields.  I don't know how forgiving bar code scanners are
to a large white gap in a code 39 bar.

If you change tabs at the bottom of the editor screen, be sure to switch back to the leftmost main tab BEFORE  
you save.

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation
ISTECH 2004.1 7/26/13 SP1 - 20 user
Evo-ERP Build 7/25/13 T7 -7i R6 - 3 user
(Prev version was 2004.1 10/24/12)
(All Patches Installed as of 7/26/13)
Pervasive 2000i SP4 - Crystal Reports V10
Email WWW   IP Logged
AndyOB

Humm...

Reply #5 - 03/11/08 at 10:02:31

Thanks Kevin, That makes sense. I think "MOST" of the fields on these shipping lists are fixed length, so hopefully adding a fixed * will work.

Wish me luck. Too bad you can't just right align the barcode field, then adding a * would be easy.

Thanks for the advice of moving to the first tab before saving.

-A.

--
Milpitas, CA
WWW AndyOB   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print