FREEZE Classic? (Read 4395 times)
NovaZyg
Administrator

When all else
fails.. Read the
instructions.

FREEZE Classic?
09/02/08 at 13:09:02

We spent most of 2007 doing bug fixes only and the beginning of 2008 too. Some new features were added to Classic by request from our users. Some we added like RMA as a replacement to the buggy one that already existed.

But now We would like to Freeze Classic features as is.. so lets hear from you the users.

Allen Landry
Evo~ERP

EvoERP and DBA Classic always Beta's of the Latest versions.

WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Re: FREEZE Classic?
Reply #1 - 09/02/08 at 13:28:39

Obviously, you know, since I've so eloquently mentioned it, that I absolutely do not want to see any extra features added to classic. Freeze the thing.

I am convinced that your time would be better spent staying as far away from classic as possible. I don't see how you could possibly have enough resources to properly maintain two separate code bases. Bug fixing classic is even more than I'd like to see but I understand why you'd have to do it to support companies which won't update for whatever reason. But adding new features is not the way to go. I mean, can you fill up one hand with companies which add features to long since outdated versions of their software? Bug fixes, yes. New features, that's insanity. Spend your time adding transaction support and bug fixes to Evo. Please. Even though I ask bluntly -- You know I'm right... Wink

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

EvoERP Version 1-22-10 SP3
5 User Workgroup Pervasive 10
Email WWW   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Reply #2 - 09/02/08 at 14:51:46

yes, but how do you vote?

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #3 - 09/02/08 at 15:46:19

Quote from GasGiant on 09/02/08 at 14:51:46:
yes, but how do you vote?

oh... I had forgot to vote. No mystery which way I voted though. I never, ever hide the way that I voted about anything. If a viewpoint is worth having it's worth shouting and/or standing behind.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

EvoERP Version 1-22-10 SP3
5 User Workgroup Pervasive 10
Email WWW   IP Logged
kevind

I was more than
willing to
"pony up",
how b'out U?

Reply #4 - 09/03/08 at 07:16:53

Even though I still need to replace some PC's around here to run EVO, I am voting to freeze the Classic Feature Set.

Maybe an EVO 3 for 2 seat promotion or some such deal would move a chunk of people to EVO ?!?!?

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation
ISTECH 2004.1 7/26/13 SP1 - 20 user
Evo-ERP Build 7/25/13 T7 -7i R6 - 3 user
(Prev version was 2004.1 10/24/12)
(All Patches Installed as of 7/26/13)
Pervasive 2000i SP4 - Crystal Reports V10
Email WWW   IP Logged
Dawn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 09/04/08 at 05:25:32

Even if you were to freeze classic I would not switch to EVO at this time.  My biggest complaint is the reports.  I want something where you can build your own reports with in the system or built in reports that match newer software elaborate reporting. I've tried CR11 and fould it quite complicated to do the complex anaylisis my bosses want to see.  

So would tech support still be given to those who pay under the tech support plan?  That would be my main concern.  Nothing like the boss barking at me when DBA gives him fits.

If Yes then I would not have a problem freezing Classic.  My hope would be that EVO would would make greater imporvements with reporting functions.

I have not seen anywhere a list of forthcoming additions other than the "Suggestions" section or a blurb here or there about "that's what we are working on".

Maybe you could add another section in the forum called - Forthcoming Programs.  So when my starts talking about switching to another software I can say hey - this is what we could get if we wait a little longer.   Wink

Dawn
Classic - 7/5/10 update
WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #6 - 09/04/08 at 08:13:02

I don't understand why the reports would prevent you from going to Evo.  They may not be what you want but they are certainly no less than what is available in Classic and in fact are more flexible because you can change the data fields on the RTMs and therefore put different columns in an existing report.  So in Evo you would have everything you currently have plus a bit more and still have the option of Crystal or Access or other ODBC tools for your own reporting needs.

As for your concerns, we would absolutely continue to support DBA Classic and maintain the programs in terms of fixing bugs that are identified.  Some new features would also make their way into Classic because some of the "RUN" programs are identical for both versions so there is no extra programming involved.  The issue here is whether new features that are developed but woud require double programming effort to add to Classic as well as Evo should be added to Classic.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
deburr

Reply #7 - 10/27/08 at 14:06:18

I read somewhere a while back that the EVO T6 programs where not going updated where T7 programs exist. If this is true, I think this is a huge mistake. I have been trying to get used to the new screens for a few weeks and it is total frustration. Way too many errors and much slower having to close each window to open another to avoid all the issues with having multiple T7 windows open.

The T6 screens are rock solid and being able to have a bunch of windows open in a cascade is much faster then the T7 screens.
Just my two cents, but I hate to see a good thing go...

Thanks,

Steve Cyr
Deburring House Inc.
EVOERP
Version 2018.2
PSQL 12

Email   IP Logged
JDlugosh
Browser

Reply #8 - 01/09/09 at 16:31:56

I am voting to freeze the Classic Feature Set.

John Dlugosh
Dlugosh Cabinet & Fixture Inc.

EVO Current Update 7 Regular 5 D.C. Users
W2k3 servers + T.S. x64
Pervasive 9.x 20 Users
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print