Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
04/25/24 at 03:44:13
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bar codes for parts less than 4 characters long (Read 2776 times)
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Bar codes for parts less than 4 characters long
02/10/09 at 07:44:25

I've added bar coded fields to our packing slips and we noticed that some of our part numbers that are less than 4 characters do not scan at all.  Walter did some testing and determined the fields have to be at least 4 characters for the field to scan, no matter what format (code 39, code 128, ascii, etc.).  Why is that?  We can get the fields to scan if we add a couple of spaces in a two character part # field, or 3 spaces in single character part field.  But will that mess up Evo some how, some way, at some point by putting spaces in part # fields?

How do we get around this issue?

Also the spaces add a carriage return, which is good and also bad in some cases.  

Thanks,

Val

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Re: Bar codes for parts less than 4 characters lon
Reply #1 - 02/13/09 at 09:48:23

So, it's probably OK to put spaces in a part #?  I assume so since I have not heard from anyone on this issue.....

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Reply #2 - 02/19/09 at 06:31:25

After doing some research, there is a minimum and maximum on bar codes for Code 39 (and 128, ASCII, etc.--we use Code 39).  Anyway, it appears 4 is the minimum, so anything less than 4 characters will not scan.  I did discover, however, it may be possible to "reprogram" our hand held scanners to accecpt less characters by changing a global parameter in the scanner.  Just  have to figure out how to do it with our scanners.

But I assume it's not a good idea to allow Walter to just add spaces into the part #s in Evo?  Like changing a Part code W to W(space)(space)(space).

Val

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
NovaZyg
Administrator

When all else
fails.. Read the
instructions.

Reply #3 - 02/19/09 at 09:01:55

No do not just add spaces... that is a bad Idea.  All the finds and lookups would most likely not work if you did it that way.

Allen Landry
Evo~ERP

EvoERP and DBA Classic always Beta's of the Latest versions.

WWW   IP Logged
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Reply #4 - 02/20/09 at 10:18:37

I was able to successfully reprogram the scanners to accept 1 character barcodes.  We are all set.  A simple solution.  Smiley

Val

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
TwinOaks

I Love EvoERP!

Reply #5 - 11/15/10 at 13:56:08

I am having the same problem.  Packing slips with bar-codes for our quantity is not allowing the customer to scan.  All other fields were able to scan on their scanner.  Our table shows "decimal" place of 2.  Could this be the issue that it is reading the "decimal"?  How to change the decimal in the table to remove?  Anyone experience this before?    Note - our packing slip numbers are 3 characters long and they are able to scan that.

Help?   Wink

Camille
Twin Oaks Industries
4+Yr User of EVO 2013.4 Latest Update
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print