Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Evo won't Launch (Read 700 times)
Missy Burke
Browser

Evo won't Launch
10/13/09 at 06:19:15

This is the second time this has happened in three weeks.  No one can get into Evo.  When they double click the icon, nothing happens (an evoerp.exe instance does appear in Task Manager, but that's it).  The Pervasive System Analyzer can't connect via name or IP: it doesn't get past "Trying to use named pipe to resolve name to address".  I can, however, run Evo locally on the server.  Whatever the problem is also seems to be affecting NetBEUI (it takes a long time for Windows Explorer to populate  with all my pc names on computers with a mapped drive to the "problem" server).

I can ping the server by either name or IP.

I have 35 users who can't work...and I'm out of ideas.  Last time it happened, I rebooted the server, which took upwards of 1.5 hours ("installing updates; do not shut down").  Once I had rebooted, it was fine...until now.

Missy Burke
Awareness Technology, Inc.
Evo 2015.2
Pervasive 10/Win2008/Client-server
43 Full/5 DC Users
Email WWW   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Re: Evo won't Launch
Reply #1 - 10/13/09 at 06:59:30

Sounds like Pervasive is having problems, but I've never had any trouble with it in five years admin-ing Evo. From time to time things will slow down on the server and a reboot brings it back to normal, but that is more of a W2K Server issue than anything else. Since you can ping it you are not having network problems. I'd do the reboot. And I'd get that server on a regular update and reboot schedule at least monthly.

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
Missy Burke
Browser

Re: Evo won't Launch
Reply #2 - 10/14/09 at 07:36:25

After a grueling 13 hour day on the phone with MS, Symantec, and HP, we determined that we had faulty/outdated drivers on various components.  Updated the chipset, NIC, and SATA controller.  Also upgraded Symantec EP from 11.0.2000 to 11.0.5 and reseated the RAM chips.  One or more of those has hopefully fixed the locking up.  Server is an HP ML150 G5 running Server '08 x64.

A special Thank-You to Lori, who got me through the last hour or so, helping me move the install to a working server.  Thanks again, Lori!  Smiley

Missy Burke
Awareness Technology, Inc.
Evo 2015.2
Pervasive 10/Win2008/Client-server
43 Full/5 DC Users
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print