Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scanning software (Read 2566 times)
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Scanning software
06/18/10 at 06:46:08

Got a new scanner. Came with WM 6.1 and the RDP works fine. Was able to set up a DC user. Evo runs great.  

One problem - what to do about a scanning app?  

It comes with something call Rapid Deployment, but I have no idea what that is for. It keeps looking for packages. It has a test mode for scanning barcodes, but it does not actually scan them in. I think it is asking for a set of codes to program itself, but nothing came with the unit.  

So, my question is, what do you use for scanning software?

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Re: Scanning software
Reply #1 - 06/18/10 at 10:14:30

Found an updated version of the Wedge software that works with WinMobile 6.1 and it scan perfectly with both 39 and 128 formats... until I try it through RDP. I guess I'll be trying another remoting program.  

On the other hand... anyone ever tried installing Evo on WinMobile?

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #2 - 06/20/10 at 08:22:50

There is no Pervasive client for Win Mobile so you have to use RDP

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
John Deitz
Browser

Make my day!

Reply #3 - 06/22/10 at 10:50:37

Back in March I got RDP and Evo working on a Win CE PDA with bar code scanner. I could scan info directly in to the PDA (MSExcel) just fine, but when I scanned into the remote desktop (Evo or MSWord) the scanned info was garbled. Could find no support info to fix that, but I found a different remote desktop app Remote2PC which worked perfectly (much better than RDP). Then I was left with how clunky is was to work with any remote desktop on a tiny touchscreen, especially without a keyboard and I gave up. Way too technical for my crew. Now using laptop and wedge, just took a full inventory and starting to issue all materials in real time. Too early to tell if it will succeed.

Email WWW   IP Logged
John Deitz
Browser

Make my day!

Reply #4 - 07/29/10 at 13:29:27

Just an update:

We finally have the one thing we wanted most when we first started using DBA (12 years ago?): accurate inventory information at the touch of a button. As of July 1st, we have deployed a cheap wedge-type bar code scanner and wireless laptop solution to use the HH menu and have closed the inventory loop. We now have complete real time inventory tracking for all our work order, purchase order and sales order activity. Nothing move in out out of stock without being recorded. When DBA says there are 2 in the box, there are 2 in the box. We have a around 2500 active items in a 5000 item inventory and around 300 multi-level BoMs to keep track of, so this is a big step up for us. And once we committed to it, it was much easier than we thought.

So don't give up. It can be done and it's worth it.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print