Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/07/24 at 02:05:52
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fax console-stress when receiving consecutiv faxes (Read 876 times)
Laura Oliver

fax console-stress when receiving consecutiv faxes
07/29/10 at 05:59:36

I may be violating the rules, but I want to ask a non DBA question.   I have put this on several other appropriate forums with no luck.

We receive our faxes via fax console on a XP workstation that is connected to our server.  So all 8 DBA users can also see faxes.  The fax console saves them to a folder on our server.  

This works great,  we never have to print faxes and we never lose a fax.....works great......except when one particular customer decides to fax us more than 2 purchase orders in a row.  The XP fax console must get overwelmed so instead of saving the upteen pages to the fax folder...it starts printing them out.  

This results in having to scan 10 or 25 pages back into the fax folder so everyone can see the faxes.

I was wondering if I used Vista or Seven would my fax console not get so stressed out.   I dont know the correct terminology.  I dont know if XP fax console just doesnt have enough memory...or maybe its our telephone lines??? whatever when our fax console starts receiving nultiple faxes consectively it freaks out and instead of stroing them it starts printing them.

All my DBA workstations are XP and work great.   I dont really want to change one, but if there is a more capable version of fax console I am willing.

Thansk in advance.

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Kelloggs

Do crazy people know
they are crazy?

Re: fax console-stress when receiving consecutiv f
Reply #1 - 07/29/10 at 11:34:22

The number of pages is limited by the amount of memory your computer has.

We use HylaFAX (linux base fax service) and there is a formula ( cann't not find it now) that acording to your memory size will tell you
how many pages your system can receive.  

We dont have that problem because we use a dedicate machine to receive faxes and forward them as a  pdf email attachement.

A simple solution will be to print the faxes inmetiatelly to a pdf printer (PDFcreator http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/) per example.
It has an "Auto Save" feature.

PDFcreator will save the "faxes" on your network drive as well

Wink

Kelloggs

Evo ERP - 35 Users
Dumped MS Access like a hot potato (VB.Net rules!!!)
Email WWW   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Re: fax console-stress when receiving consecutiv f
Reply #2 - 08/09/10 at 06:41:15

Quote from Kelloggs on 07/29/10 at 11:34:22:
The number of pages is limited by the amount of memory your computer has.Wink

Kelloggs

So maybe we could just add more memory

Thanks,

we have one dedicated machine to recieve the faxes,  I just have the the .tif files it creates printing (stored) on a a network drive.

I can get a hundred faxes aday, as long as it is no more than 2 or 3 pages, and never from multiple sources.   If our customers and vendors would never send more than 3 pages at a time and make sure it has been at least 2 or 3 minutes since the previous customer sent us a fax we would be fine.    
But for some reason  if two different sources fax us too close togeher the printer no longer stores them as tiffs, but stores printing real paper faxes.

Laura

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print