Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/03/24 at 12:12:32
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
outdated server! -maybe DBA could be faster? (Read 1185 times)
Laura Oliver

outdated server! -maybe DBA could be faster?
12/27/10 at 07:07:31

Our Server has been a rock, flawless over the years, so I hate to even think about replacing it.....but....I am wondering how much faster DBA would run if I get a new server?
I am just curious if we would see any substantial improvement in performance?  

I have used 12.2 out of 16.9    GB               I have never run disc cleanup.    Its only use is DBA and a few hundred shared excel and word docs.

our current server is:

Service
Microsoft Windows 2000
Service Pack 4

Computer  
X86  Family 6  Model 7   stepping 3
AT/AT compatabile
261, 676 KB Ram

Thanks,
Laura

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Kelloggs

Do crazy people know
they are crazy?

Re: outdated server! -maybe DBA could be faster?
Reply #1 - 12/28/10 at 09:00:24

When we moved our server from Win2000 to Win2003, I notice a fairly good improvement in performance both end user, and as Sys Admin (Monthly Maintenance Utilities)

When we moved from Win2003 to Win2008. The end user hasn't event notice. But I did notice, again, an improvement when running the maintenance utilities.

From the DBA/EVO point of view the first upgrade was worth the trouble, no the second.

Tongue

Kelloggs

Evo ERP - 35 Users
Dumped MS Access like a hot potato (VB.Net rules!!!)
Email WWW   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Re: outdated server! -maybe DBA could be faster?
Reply #2 - 12/30/10 at 06:42:33

We changed hardware and kept the same OS. The newer server has the same CPU, but has more memory and faster hard drives. I noticed a big improvement when running MRP, BM-G, and IN-L-S on the server, but little improvement for the end user.

For the end user, better hardware and reduced network latency are the most helpful ways to improve performance. We have replaced many older computers with terminals connected via RDP, which gives the user a big speed boost. The terminal server is a stout machine and it sits in the same network rack as the Evo/PSQL server.

I have also tested our version of Pervasive (2000i) against a current version (10.3?) and noticed some improvement, especially with ODBC queries for large reports with Excel and Evo2Web.

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print