Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
03/29/24 at 00:17:34
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
For those using shopfloor handhelds. . . (Read 3877 times)
TGerak

DBA Classic Since
2000!

For those using shopfloor handhelds. . .
08/19/11 at 08:19:16

We're preparing to make the leap to real time data collection.  I would appreciate some feedback on what people are using and what the pros/cons are to their solution.

We're a hybrid (make-to-order/make-to-stock) environment, and want to:

*Have our 30 person shop floor workforce clock into and out of jobs for labor cost tracking.  
*Receive PO's from the floor
*Issue materials from the floor
*Ship from the floor

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Re: For those using shopfloor handhelds. . .
Reply #1 - 08/20/11 at 22:33:14

I know we have a number of users that are doing what you want to accomplish using the Evo Hand Held and Data Collection modules but they may not be actively monitoring the forum.  I will contact them and if they are willing, pass their contact info on to you.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
TGerak

DBA Classic Since
2000!

Reply #2 - 08/23/11 at 08:13:28

Thanks Lynn.  In an effort to keep moving, is it true that whatever hardare we end up with, I need to add a Terminal Server to host the handhelds?  If so, I'll get started on that piece and the wireless coverage for the floor.

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #3 - 08/24/11 at 17:11:19

If you plan to use wireless hand held scanners then yes.  You can also use low cost netbooks with USB scanners as clients and not use the Terminal Server RDP approach.  Just because the HandHeld programs are designed to fit on the small screens, they can be run from a full sized screen.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
TGerak

DBA Classic Since
2000!

Reply #4 - 08/25/11 at 07:52:56

Thanks for the info.  What is the client licensing on a netbook?

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #5 - 08/25/11 at 19:56:04

If it is running the DC programs (DC-A, B, C and everything on the Admin HandHeld menu) they can use the DC licensing.  They will still require a Pervasive license (as will the true handhelds running RDP)

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
dawn@comfortfoods.

No...no...don't make
me go into edit
database!

Reply #6 - 08/29/11 at 13:25:44

We use hand held scanners.  We do not use the piece for labor cost tracking, so I can't speak on that.  We do receive PO's, issue materials and use scan ship programs; we have lot control on almost every item.  The most consistent problem we run into is trying to log onto the hand helds and receive an error: unable to log on, data dictionary error.  We don't have a high-tech IT department to spend time looking at this, so a reboot of the terminal server usually fixes this.  We are happy with the hand held programs and they work well for us.  
Some issues include:
  • It appears when using the hand helds you can release an item that we don't have enough on-hand, while the release SO won't allow for that.  There may be a default setting I haven't set to fix this; not sure.

• Using the hand held program for SO's - if an item is on back order, we obviously don't scan it and therefore it doesn't show up on the invoice as a back order - it's just not on the invoice at all.  The customer then may think we just missed that item.

• For issue materials - depending on how you do it now, it is just as easy for human error to miss scanning an item.  There isn't an error message saying hey - you should have scanned item XYZ but didn't.  We simply have our workers print materials issued and require them to verify materials issued as to catch errors right away.

Other than those few issues that come to mind right away - we love the hand held programs and they work very well for us.  Feel free to contact me if you have specific questions.

Regards,

Dawn Johnson
EVP
Comfort Foods Inc
dawn@comfortfoods.com

Dawn Johnson
Executive Vice President
Comfort Foods Inc
Gourmet Food Manufacturer

EVO - Update 3/27/2008
Email WWW   IP Logged
JEMM
Administrator

In two days from
now, tomorrow will
be yesterday.

Reply #7 - 08/30/11 at 07:01:09

Actually, the first two issues have (relatively new) SDQ settings and the Material Issues program has a button to show what materials have been issued to the WO.

Mike
ISTechSupport
Email   IP Logged
dawn@comfortfoods.

No...no...don't make
me go into edit
database!

Reply #8 - 09/07/11 at 21:40:39

Great, I'll check out the default settings.  We are aware of the list showing what has been issued, but if there are even 10-20 items, it's difficult to see what may be missing (not issued) on the small hand held screen.

Dawn

Dawn Johnson
Executive Vice President
Comfort Foods Inc
Gourmet Food Manufacturer

EVO - Update 3/27/2008
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print