Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/05/24 at 12:09:16
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
EVO SO-A doesnt ask for taxable amount? (Read 2750 times)
Laura Oliver

EVO SO-A doesnt ask for taxable amount?
05/31/13 at 12:27:54

When I am in DBA>SO-A and answer Y to taxable on the line item screen I get a popup box that asks for the taxable amount.  But when I am in EVO and mark the line taxable Y, I do not get the pop up box.  I need this popup box because only the material of the line is taxable.    

How do I get this popup box to popup in EVO?  I have gone through the defauts.....am I missing something?

Thanks,
Laura

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Re: EVO SO-A doesnt ask for taxable amount?
Reply #1 - 06/16/13 at 19:28:10

You really shouldn't having this popup at all.  Either a line is taxable or it is not.  You should not have an option for a $400 line to be only $350 taxable.  That was a feature available in the old DBA but it only asks for problems.  You should set the Sales Order Default "Prompt for Taxable Line Item amount" to N.  If you have material and labor billed separately, they should be separate lines.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #2 - 06/19/13 at 10:23:10

Lynn,
we still have this feature on DBA.   We have to have this feature!!!In Alabama, tax is only charged on the material  amount of a manufactured .... the labor part of the item is not taxable.

Say we machined a shaft and we had 800.00 labor and $200.00 material.  The  shaft is only one item number and will cost the customer $1000 but they will only get charged tax on the $200 material.

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #3 - 06/20/13 at 05:36:36

Laura,

Are you sure you're interpreting the regulation correctly? Not only does it seem a nightmare to keep track of, what is "material"? Say you happen to be very large company that mines ore and makes cars. Are you saying that only the price of the dirt would be taxable?

A more likely scenario - say you buy wire and make your own screws. Those screws are used to hold a pump cover on, and then the pump is fitted to an engine that powers a compressor. You really have to track the price of the wire all the way down to the compressor?

In any state I've ever dealt with (not many - maybe 8 to 10), once you perform labor ON an item (usually defined as changing its use or purpose) the entire cost is taxable. If you are simply modifying it (say, putting threads on a shaft, or cutting it to a custom length) then the material is taxable and the labor is not. Likewise for installation or repair of part. In those cases you would charge for the part and the labor separately.

My take would be that if you're charging for a single part number then it is "a material", including the labor it took to mine the dirt, process it, smelt the metal, forge it, turn it and finally finish it into whatever specialized part it's for.

But I am surely not a tax accountant certified in Alabama...

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #4 - 06/20/13 at 07:45:10

My experience is similar to David's.  If you provide a Service, it is only Labor and not taxable but the sale of a product that took labor to manufacture is taxable in its entirety when sold to an end user.  When you go to WalMart and buy a toy, there is certainly labor involved in its manufacture but the total price is taxable.  However, WalMart did not pay any sales tax because they are a reseller.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Kelloggs

Do crazy people know
they are crazy?

Reply #5 - 06/20/13 at 08:11:19

It all depends. I was reading about tax laws in Alabama and I was surprise to find out a section for beer!!!

Quote:
ALABAMA DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE - SALES AND USE TAX RULES

810-6-1-.08. Automobile Repair Shops.
(1) Automobile repairmen must report and pay tax on all sales of automobile
parts, accessories, tires, tubes, and batteries which are passed to the automobile owner for
his use. When the repairman does not itemize parts, in his billing, any amount charged for
labor or service and included in the lump sum billing is to be included in the taxable
amount.

(2) When labor and service are separately billed from the sale of parts, etc., the
tax does not apply to the labor and service rendered.

Tongue

« Last Edit: 06/20/13 at 09:20:40 by Kelloggs »  

Evo ERP - 35 Users
Dumped MS Access like a hot potato (VB.Net rules!!!)
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #6 - 06/20/13 at 09:57:05

That is consistent with the way the program works.  If you bill parts and labor separately, you can make the labor line nontaxable.  If you bill as a lump sum, it is all taxable.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #7 - 06/24/13 at 09:51:22

I am sure!   I have been audit 3 times in since 1980.  (and I am getting audited again in 3.5 weeks!!!)

I  know it sound crazy, but only the material in a manufactured item is taxable. (now that item must also used in the mfg. process)   But the labor is not taxable.   If it is a replacement part used in MFG then only the material is taxable.

Say we machine a brand new repair part for a large steel mill.   We may charge the Steel Mill $8000.00 but they will only pay tax on  the material of $2500.00  not the labor of $5500.00

I use one part # that is priced at $8000.00 but I tell DBA the taxable amount is only $2500.00.  It has worked like a charm since 1997 and I love this aspect of DBA.  Please don't take it away.

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #8 - 07/30/13 at 11:14:26

Okay, The sales tax audit is over...... zero liability.... yea yea yea !!!!
The sales tax auditor was happy with the way the old DBA handled isolating material on a single item.  (my dba still does that, but evo doesn't_)        

He said that the labor is not taxable in the item because the item is a repair part used in mfg.  

I really hope DBA retains the pop up which allows me have a partially taxed item.
I really hope EVO could go back to having this pop up.... popup so that we can isolate the material.

Thanks,
Laura

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #9 - 07/30/13 at 11:39:35

I'm glad they're satisfied, but I still think it would be a lot simpler if you had separate line items for parts and repair labor since that's what you're actually charging for.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #10 - 08/07/13 at 05:58:48

There are no repair parts used.  We are machining a brand new repair part (material and labor),

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #11 - 02/09/21 at 13:34:02

Quote from Lynn_Pantic on 06/16/13 at 19:28:10:
 That was a feature available in the old DBA but it only asks for problems.  .

We have used this feature since 1997 in DBA and it has never caused us problems.  

We are trying  so very hard to use EVO.  But we have to have the ability to make part of the item taxable  and part of it labor like in DBA.  
We really need to have that popup box ENTER TAXABLE AMOUNT when we are using EVO.

Any ideas.
Thanks
Laura

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #12 - 02/19/21 at 08:02:09

The only idea I have is the one Lynn suggested - charge for the material and labor separately. I realize it would mean doing things differently, but then you're a little different (the state, not you personally!).

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #13 - 03/04/21 at 16:28:25

Thank you,

Heavy Sigh.....

It means the creation of a ton of part numbers.  Having two or three lines for one item confuses our customers.   We played with having our part numbers roll up to one part number in kits, features and options etc, but our part numbers have different classes as the work is done in different departments.  Item numbers with different classes will not roll up into one part number.

I gotta think on this one.  Thanks again!

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #14 - 04/21/22 at 11:17:03

Trying to work out the kinks in my mind so that we can exclusively use EVO.

DBA allows us to make a single line on a sales order partially taxable.    i.e. $100 widget only $30 taxable.
We have used this DBA feature successfully since 1997.  The state of Alabama has been fine with it.  
I understand what Lynn has said in the past about this DBA feature, and I doubt I would ever find any other software that would allow this feature.   It all kinda makes me wonder why DBA had the feature in the first place?

If we move to the amazon server and have to use EVO exclusively, we will need to "fix" a lot of part numbers so that there is a labor item number and a material item number for what was once a single item.  I agree that this is probably the way we should have done this from the beginning in 1997 (it all kinda makes me wonder why DBA had the feature in the first place?)

This may cause us to use kit assemblies, or features and options?

Just thinking aloud.

Laura

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print