Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/07/24 at 14:18:01
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SO saving/closing before Line Item Screen (Read 2090 times)
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

SO saving/closing before Line Item Screen
07/24/13 at 09:11:48

I am trying to track down an issue we have had for a very long time, that of sales orders assigned a SO number of 0.  I saw one post mentioning our same issue back in 2007 but with no answer as to cause or solution. So I am reposting in the hopes someone has experienced this.

The sales folks tell me that they are very sure how it happens. When they enter a new order, once they get down to the field that says "Ready to invoice" they type an N and press enter.  Sometimes, instead of moving to the line item screen, a window pops up asking "Use default ending lines?", which is normally there only when the order is done being entered and is being saved. They respond to the popup, and the order closes and it's gone.  You go back to enter the order again, and it is in the listing and the SO number is 0.

Anyone experienced or seen that happen before, and know of the cause / fix for this?

Kind regards,

Val

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Re: SO saving/closing before Line Item Screen
Reply #1 - 07/29/13 at 11:01:16

Ok, I have a theory - let's see if we can get some others to test it.

We almost never had THAT problem any more (used to occasionally) However, a similar issue we have, is that after entering a line - that is, the last Enter has been completed and normally any Desc2 lines and/or Kit Component Lines would be pulled in - we get the "Use Default Ending Lines?" dialog and then the SO is saved. When you go back in, only the first line of the item that happened with is there. It almost always happens after you've entered several lines (the earlier ones are still there and fine), but no pattern that we've noticed as to how many lines.

Our main order-entry person seems to think that it happens if you are going through the line too quickly. So I just did some testing.

The very first time I just pressed and held the Enter key after getting to Ship Qty, I got the error. Not only that, but I had a very very strange thing happen. I guess I held down the Enter key too long and some how got THREE SOs - the one I was entering, one for the same Customer with no lines, and another empty one, #0 with a date of 00/00/00.

These were all created BEFORE I got the Save sequences. I had stopped pressing Enter as soon as I saw the "Use default ending lines", and then Entered one at a time, and I had the Freight, and Print? dialogs, and then a "Save this SO even though there are no lines on it?" followed by "Default ending lines for SO #xxxxx", Freight and Print? for the other SO. Then another round for SO #0.  

Somehow the Customer selected for the first SO was still in a buffer or something, as that's who the two additional SOs are for - one with no line items and one with no number...

BTW, we don't usually just hold down the Enter key - I've done some further testing and I would say that if you allow less than 1/4 second or so between key strokes that's when the problem occurs (not the number 0 SO, but the saving and closing of the SO with only the first line of the last item saved).

So... I suspect all these problems have something to do with a buffer not being emptied fast enough. Anyways, give it a try and see what kind of results you get.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Reply #2 - 08/12/13 at 08:38:07

I can replicate it, too, if I go that fast. Our order entry people go really fast (often faster than their systems) and won't admin that could be an issue.  (They always say "it's the system, it's Evo, it's not me").  They are often impatient, and this often get them in trouble.  It gets me in trouble for saying it, but I have been around long enough to know this is true. The slower folks do not have the same issues the faster data entry people have.

So perhaps there is a way to change the code to speed up the emptying of the buffer for people who
do have flash fingers and can't seem to slow down?

Maybe a few other people can test and reply on this thread so at least I can say here, others can reproduce the same behavior therefore it must be a speed issue.....(yeah, in my dreams)   Grin

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #3 - 08/12/13 at 11:16:36

The whole architecture of SO-A has changed since the version you are on.  In your version, the header and line item entry are actually separate programs passing parameters back and forth and if the parameter gets dropped, it closes the program.  The current T7SOA is all one program so it isn't passing back and forth the same way.  If David is using T6SOA then it is still the 2 part program.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #4 - 08/12/13 at 11:21:06

We didn't have this problem until we started using T7SOA.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #5 - 08/12/13 at 11:23:37

Quote from David Waldmann on 08/12/13 at 11:21:06:
We didn't have this* problem until we started using T7SOA.

*The problem I detailed with going too fast. We had the problem Val is talking about in a non-GUI version (I couldn't say at this point if it was BK or T6).

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Reply #6 - 09/12/13 at 12:42:12

maybe IS/tech could just add a popup that says "slow down" when the keystrokes go above
so many per second (nyuck nyuck!)   Grin Tongue Wink

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print