Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/04/24 at 11:33:51
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
deposit or payment on account? (Read 222 times)
Laura Oliver

deposit or payment on account?
09/27/21 at 07:32:05

What is the reasoning behind having both "deposit" or "payment on account"?   This confuses me everytime and  i do not know which one to choose.  
When a customer has overpaid I get the message " Is this a deposit?  (if not it will be treated as payment on account)

I know that choice I makes causes statements to print differently  and AR-R to print differently.   Choosing "payment on account" will result in the money paid being reflected in both AR-R and statements.  But if i choose "deposit" I am not sure what happens to it.      
What are examples of times I am supposed to use "deposit"  or "payment on account"  

Thank you for any insight! !

from the help file:  The dollar amount outstanding for any open deposits for this customer. Deposits are kept in  separate GL account (as specified in AD-A General Ledger Defaults) until applied to  invoices through AR-C Record Payments or automatically applied when posting invoices if  they have been attached to a sales order using AR-N Enter/Print Sales Order Deposits.

from google; The difference is that a payment doesn't hit the GL until the invoice is posted whereas a deposit hits the GL as soon as the deposit is saved.  
It follows the accounting principle; the deposit is a current liability that is debited and sales revenue credited. A customer deposit could also be the amount of money deposited in a bank. Since there are no cash earnings, the money is debit to the bank and credit to the customer's deposit account

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
AllanMac
Browser

Re: deposit or payment on account?
Reply #1 - 10/18/21 at 15:10:15

For us, the deposit goes to a different GL account, and is used as a deposit on a sales order, as noted above.  For payment on account, it refers to a payment that I haven't allocated against specific invoices already raised.  I might do this when a customer short pays me, but at the time of posting the payment, I don't know why.  Then when I've figured out why, I go and allocate the payment against the invoices.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print