Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/18/24 at 15:06:34
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Date and time of edits... (Read 1188 times)
ASM

The Guitarman...

Date and time of edits...
02/13/03 at 15:16:31

Something in the database that will show on screen as to when in item was added, deleted , or edited. Such as a date and time when a part number was edited. Also the person initials who made the change would be useful.

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Ex Member

Re: Date and time of edits...
Reply #1 - 02/13/03 at 18:19:38

Good idea but not at all simple to implement, would mean a data structure change and changes to every program in the system that has the possibility to edit or update anything  undecided

Lynn Pantic

IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #2 - 02/14/03 at 15:02:16

Just in case you don't understand the scope of Lynn's comment back on this, it would involve screen changes in something like 100+ screens (and then re-compiling each of those) and over 200 run programs would need to be editied to make sure they recorded this info (then each re-compiled), then a new database structure (a table) to collect and reference all this info (and then re-compile the ENTIRE system - which also means you would have to run a full system update when installing this), and then finally changing Tp5wdba.exe so that it would maintain persistent user identification throughout the user session so that it could be notated beside each of these change records in the new database.

Not to say it isn't a wonderful idea, but you are talking about something on the order of 300+ amn-hours of programming time to do this.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
kevind

I was more than
willing to
"pony up",
how b'out U?

Reply #3 - 03/05/03 at 15:38:33

I would like to suggest that user changes or edits to inventory item information (ie Reorder Level, Reorder Qty, etc.) be logged in the item transaction file (as a comment?) with the logged in user name.    

This would be very helpful to track down database changes (intentional or un-intentional).  It also helps to self document the history of changes to a particular field.

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation
ISTECH 2004.1 7/26/13 SP1 - 20 user
Evo-ERP Build 7/25/13 T7 -7i R6 - 3 user
(Prev version was 2004.1 10/24/12)
(All Patches Installed as of 7/26/13)
Pervasive 2000i SP4 - Crystal Reports V10
Email WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #4 - 03/05/03 at 23:18:00

Kevin,

Did you read my above post regarding this?

It is simply not feasible from an economic perspective.  HUGE amount of work in a line editor language (which DBA's current TAS 5 is).  And it requires a significant change to the core executable that only the original programmer of the language that DBA is written in can do.

How much are you prepared to pay to have such a thing?

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
kevind

I was more than
willing to
"pony up",
how b'out U?

Reply #5 - 03/21/03 at 19:54:28

Lorne,

Please allow me to more clearly express my suggestion with regard to logging user edits to inventory item fields.

I was specificaly refering to logging only edits from IN-B and or MRP parameters edititable from MR-? (sorry, I'm at home and I can't remember the menu item!  Smiley )

This would require that the INVTXN file be opened and that a new transaction type be defined for a "comment" or "log" type of transaction.  The Quantity field would not be processed on this type of transaction, nor would the cost be processed.  Instead, for example,  those two fields could reflect a before / after value of a numeric field.  The existing Description string could be populated with a user name, and date.  This would not change the schema of the INVTXN file.

I in no way ment to imply that EVERY field that gets changed by ANY application be logged.  

Of course, the Print Inventory Transactions, consolidate Inventory Transactions, (and probably a few others),  would need to understand this record type and deal with it appropriately.

This is how I interpreted pens origonal post on this subject.

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation
ISTECH 2004.1 7/26/13 SP1 - 20 user
Evo-ERP Build 7/25/13 T7 -7i R6 - 3 user
(Prev version was 2004.1 10/24/12)
(All Patches Installed as of 7/26/13)
Pervasive 2000i SP4 - Crystal Reports V10
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/21/03 at 21:19:14

That specific record type transaction log is certainly possible - and of a lesser scope than tracking everything.  Of course if we do that, somebody will want SO change tracking and somebody else PO change tracking etc....  

If enouch people are willing to pony up for at least $35/month support level so I can keep paying the programmers, we can do all kinds of things.   But programmers don't work for free....

Free forum content is limited to what other users have already constructed work arounds for that they are willing to share.  Program updates and enhancements are based on requests and inquiries by paying support subscribers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print