Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
best printer??? (Read 2585 times)
Laura Oliver

best printer???
06/05/03 at 10:45:16

I am about to buy a new laser printer.
I would appreciate any and all advice.

We use mostly HP top feeders.    The guys complain that they suck multiple sheets thru.    I saw where HP has one that bottom feeds.  Is this better?

I have not had DBA incompatabilty problems even with my dot matrixs.....and I sure don't want to start now.

Thanks
Laura

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Karen Mason

Ain't life grand!?!

Re: best printer???
Reply #1 - 06/05/03 at 11:39:14

Can't say whether it is "best" or not but:  We have a Lexmark Optra S1620 and it has been in service for 5 years.  I can print on both sides if I want. This feature has saved a lot of paper  It is a fast machine and I have had very few problems with it.  The firm that sold it to me had to set it up (kind of a lot to it).  This is a bottom feed machine, but I doubt Lexmark would like to hear them described as bottom-feeders.

I also have several of the HP top feeds and have the same aggravating problem with several pages pulling through at a time.  

I guess I got what I paid for.  The difference between spending $2200 and 300 per machine.  (1998 prices).   If people are fairly close, it could be set up as a network printer.

Karen Mason, Vice President
Bula Forge & Machine, Inc.
1-60# forgings, machining, & assembly
Cleveland, OH
Tel:216-252-7600 Fax:216-252-7601 www.bulaforge.com
EVO-ERP 09/16/09 SP2
Email WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #2 - 06/05/03 at 11:43:34

I would recommend the HP 4000 series.  They are absolute workhorses.  And they do have the tray feed at the bottom.  The output is on top.

If you are looking for serious printing power, and you have a lot of money you want to hit the expense line on the Income statement, I can recommend a big Canon multi-function that will run you about 15-20K.....

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
lese
Browser

HP has a fix
Reply #3 - 06/08/03 at 14:06:07

We had the same problem with all of our HP top feeders until I discovered that HP has a fix for the problem and it's FREE!  Just go here and request as many kits as you need:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl10045& amp;locale=en_US

We had mostly LJ 5L's which aren't listed, but the LJ 6L kit worked perfectly and now none of our printers feed multiple sheets.  For some reason HP didn't widely publicize this fix, and if you contact them, they will blame the paper or something else, but this fix cured the problem for all of our printers.

We have since added some LJ 1200's and like them a lot.  They are fast and inexpensive.

Les Edelberg
Filter Concepts, Inc.
DBA since '94

WWW   IP Logged
Karen Mason

Ain't life grand!?!

Reply #4 - 06/09/03 at 06:22:59

Thanks, Les. Cheesy      Went to the site as soon as I read your reply.  Hope this will solve my problem

Karen Mason, Vice President
Bula Forge & Machine, Inc.
1-60# forgings, machining, & assembly
Cleveland, OH
Tel:216-252-7600 Fax:216-252-7601 www.bulaforge.com
EVO-ERP 09/16/09 SP2
Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #5 - 06/09/03 at 06:34:17

We also have the Lexmark Optra S 1620 and are extremely pleased with it. One of the really cool features (though we rarely use it anymore because we use PDFs) is the ability to print more than one page per sheet - like 2-up, 4-up, 6-up, etc. It really saves time and paper if you're printing something for archiving. Even 4-up is readable from 10pt original.

Our top-feeding HP also has a problem with multiple page feeding, but usually only when it's really humid.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
fredh
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/09/03 at 06:52:16

Got the HP fix kits and haven't had any more trouble.  Grin

IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #7 - 06/09/03 at 06:56:11

Now that I ordered my HP Fix kit I read the instructions. It's just because the scrubber pad that holds the rest of the paper back is apparantly made out of rubber that hardens faster than it ought to. Hopefully they've improved the one in the fix kit, because you can only replace it once.

Anyways, I guess that it will prolong the life somewhat.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Re: HP has a fix
Reply #8 - 06/26/03 at 05:17:26

Quote from lese   on 06/08/03 at 14:06:07:
We had the same problem with all of our HP top feeders until I discovered that HP has a fix for the problem and it's FREE! Just go here and request as many kits as you need:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl10045& amp;locale=en_US

Works like a charm. I guess the next time it starts pulling multiples I'll have to tear it apart to remove the new pad, so I can do it over again. But it's either that or chuck the printer - I'm sure that by then it won't be worth sending it out to HP to fix it.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with how comprehensive a fix it is for free. Then again, if it was sucha widespread problem it was probably the least expensive way to run damage control.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Printer?-HP fix- multiple sheets pulling thru
Reply #9 - 09/05/03 at 16:45:10

Les,
Your "fix" for the HP's sucking multiple sheets has been a life saver in our office.    You are a hero.   I never had to purchase that new printer.   Installed the "fix"on (3) HP's right after your initial response.    And it looks like you helped a bunch of folks.    
I was also glad to know it was not a DBA issue.
Many Thanks,
Laura

Les said:

We had the same problem with all of our HP top feeders until I discovered that HP has a fix for the problem and it's FREE!  Just go here and request as many kits as you need:  

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=b pl10045&locale=en_US  

We had mostly LJ 5L's which aren't listed, but the LJ 6L kit worked perfectly and now none of our printers feed multiple sheets.  For some reason HP didn't widely publicize this fix, and if you contact them, they will blame the paper or something else, but this fix cured the problem for all of our printers.  

We have since added some LJ 1200's and like them a lot.  They are fast and inexpensive.  

Les Edelberg  
Filter Concepts, Inc.  
DBA since '94  

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
lese
Browser

Glad to hear it worked!
Reply #10 - 09/06/03 at 11:56:12

Hi Laura,

I'm really glad to hear the printer fix worked for you.  It saved about six of ours and they are still going strong.  I still blame HP for not publicizing the fix more widely, though.

Les

WWW   IP Logged
jeanb
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 10/10/03 at 08:15:47

We use Brother HL-1440 laser printers. They are great! I believe there is now a model newer than that, but we never have any problems at all, even if we are printing out extremely large reports.  Also, Brother's tech support has always been very good at helping with any problems we ever had (very few).  I would strongly recommend these printers to anyone.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print