Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/18/24 at 20:47:19
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
middle of night back-ups (Read 1138 times)
Laura Oliver

middle of night back-ups
07/14/03 at 07:32:48

A few months ago I shared that I had bought new 4mm DL-124M cartridges for my server backup and that I couldn't figure out how to do the automatic 2:AM backup.

I had called Dell, and Dell said call Veritas, and Veritas said call Dell. Neither Dell nor Veritas would listen to me for even 5 seconds.    Dell sent me no isntructions with the factory installed backup.

Some good DBA users said the problem was with the way I had named my tapes.   I think they were on the right track.    But I still couldn't get it to work.

I am ashamed to say...that for months...if I am the last one off DBA I do a manual back up.   So--right now I am getting an average of 2 back ups a week.   DANGEROUS!!

My 2 questions are:
(1) Can I do a SERVER backup while my guys are using DBA at their workstation?   I am thinking I would miss only what  they had open.

(2)  Anybody recommend an external backup that I could purchase and use with my server.  That way I could get printed factory instructions.    

ANY and ALL ideas greaty appreciated!!!!

Laura

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Re: middle of night back-ups
Reply #1 - 07/14/03 at 09:45:22

Laura,

The best possible recommendation I can give to you is to call in a network support technician to set this up for you so that it works.  It is VERY dangerous to not have backups on your enterprise data on your server.

The cost of getting a professional to deal with this (and that also means THEY are responsible to make sure it stays working), is instantaneously offset by even the potential cost of losing your data and having to re-create it and the lost opportunities and the overtime and such.

As to the open files....there is a version of Veritas BackupExec that does open file backup.  It is considerably more expensive, and is usually recommended for environments of 5+ users where there is a chance that a user will leave there station logged in and programs running at night and it becomes more difficult to control with the greater number of users.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #2 - 07/14/03 at 10:33:28

Lorne,
I wish I could find a good professional around here.
We were first networked in 1997.  We used a great company that sent the same guy out    It was great...for about 5 years.

But then they grew and decided we were too small for them.   They refferred us to  a guy that was terrible.   I tried someone else and he was not good either.    

What is the best category to look in the yellow pages?
Could you reccomend someone in Birmingham?

Thanks,
Laura

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Cyndee Pappas

EVO~ERP 2006.1
02/28/06 update

Reply #3 - 07/14/03 at 11:19:23

Laura,

We, too, were fighting with the crummy built-in backup that Microsoft includes with Windows. I just demoed and then purchased  Retrospect Single Server 6.5 for Windows. They have lots of versions available. You can check it out at www.dantz.com  

We looked at Veritas Backup Exec, which is supposed to be very good, but then heard that it was a nightmare to set up.  Retrospect sets up very easily.  

Feel free to email me privately if you have specific questions that I could help you with.

Cyndee Pappas
Industrial Data Systems
EVO~ERP 2006.1 with 02/28/06 update
Client/Server Win2000 Server
Pervasive SQL 2000i

WWW   IP Logged
wtsconnects

Reply #4 - 07/15/03 at 10:49:29

We use a program called ARCServe on our Dell server.  It's very powerful and we were able to set it up with our in-house capability. We bought it as part of the Dell purchase a few years ago.  We can program automatic backups anytime for all or any part of the server storage.

JO

Jackie O.
WTS Connects
DBA Classic 2004.1
IStech update 6/20/05
Workgroup Server NT4.0
Email WWW   IP Logged
kevind

I was more than
willing to
"pony up",
how b'out U?

Reply #5 - 07/16/03 at 09:29:35

We also use ARCserve (an older version) with a DAT drive.
We have a daily, weekly, monthly type rotation schedule of tapes.
Backup occurs after 1am every night.

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation
ISTECH 2004.1 7/26/13 SP1 - 20 user
Evo-ERP Build 7/25/13 T7 -7i R6 - 3 user
(Prev version was 2004.1 10/24/12)
(All Patches Installed as of 7/26/13)
Pervasive 2000i SP4 - Crystal Reports V10
Email WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #6 - 07/16/03 at 13:09:51

Laura,

I would have to agree with Cyndee and the other poster that ARCServe seems to be an easier product to work with and manipulate.

What I am NOT sure of is if ARCServe offers an open-file backup capability the way that BackupExec does.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
kevind

I was more than
willing to
"pony up",
how b'out U?

Reply #7 - 07/17/03 at 09:28:24

Yes, the current version does offer open file backup capability as a seperately purchased option.  However, If I remember correctly, it is quite expensive (it almost doubles the cost of ARCServe).

What we choose to do was to shut down the Transactional and Relational Engines just before backup, then start them back up.  This has the effect of closing all open DBA files.  ARCServe provides a means to shut things down before the backup and start them back up afterward.

Since we do not run 24/7, this is a very resonable option.   The Daily Differential backups only take about 20 to 30 minutes anyway.  

Another nice thing about shutting down the services is that you get a nice fresh start every day.  We have absolutly ZERO trouble with the Pervasive Server Product.

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation
ISTECH 2004.1 7/26/13 SP1 - 20 user
Evo-ERP Build 7/25/13 T7 -7i R6 - 3 user
(Prev version was 2004.1 10/24/12)
(All Patches Installed as of 7/26/13)
Pervasive 2000i SP4 - Crystal Reports V10
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print