Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/03/24 at 23:20:23
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Switch between test and live data? (Read 1882 times)
ITman
Ex Member

Switch between test and live data?
09/05/03 at 08:31:34

Hello,

I'm just wondering if there is an easy way to setup a test environment for writing TAS6 applications?  I'm on a client machine now (windows 2000) that connects to the server (Windows 2000 Server) and I installed the compiler.  I would like to basically be able to run and compile applications, then open the Evolution Menu run them just as any other client would (only in a test environment), then copy them to the server so they are ready to be added to the menu for everyone's access.  

I've copied the data from the server to a folder locally on my drive and the compiler reads everything ok.  I guess what I'm asking is there an easy way to switch the Evolution menu (or pervasive) from accessing/writing data on my local drive to the server?  The problem I have is that I need to access company data for use in some cases and sometimes when I'm writing an application I would like to leave the company information alone and just work in a test environment.  Sound confusing?

IP Logged
ITman
Ex Member

Re: Switch between test and live data?
Reply #1 - 09/09/03 at 11:24:48

Anyone? Smiley

IP Logged
NovaZyg
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/10/03 at 09:24:44

I am not sure I follow you. You said you copied the DBA data to a local machine. Then you brought up the compiler. Is it pointing to the local data or the server's data??? (the dictionary path is shown on the header bar "TAS Professional 6 [ xxx ]" xxx is the dictionary path) you need to point that path to your local machine.
Then when you write your apps. you test locally. When you are satisfied with the app just copy it to the server and run it thru EVO.  You should never develop in the live data. Roll Eyes

Good luck....

IP Logged
ITman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/11/03 at 06:49:48

I do have it pointed to the local machine, not the server.  Maybe I worded my question wrong, sorry.  Every time I try to run a program just compiled I get an error saying, "The field you are trying to use is unallocated.  It may belong to a file that hasn't been opened yet, or was an array that was removed from memory - MTWORO.CODE"  Then it will go through all the fields being looked up in the program.  

When I go to Maintain Database, I get "An error occurred while opening file: WOROUT.B11.  Error number:   2"

Any idea why I can't access the records I have copied over?

-Thanks

IP Logged
NovaZyg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/11/03 at 08:11:13

Sounds like your fileloc is pointing to the wrong place.
open the compiler then press Program (on the main menu. not the icon) and select other data dictionary options. Then select Edit File locations.  When the tas6 program comes up press the button with the three dots in it under File name. This will give you a list of the DBA files and their location. If they are not the correct locations then press esc. and move to the extension field. Type in the extension(B11) then press the UPDATE ALL button. It will ask you for a path. Put in the correct path and press DO UPDATE.  You will need to repeat this for all your companies B, B99 etc....

I hope this helps....

IP Logged
ITman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/12/03 at 07:39:03

When I do that and click on the ellipse (...) the files are in the right place.  (The test environment I would like \tas6pro\testbed\dbamfg\11\ ) I did the "update all" anyway for all companies and when I go to maintain database I get the same problem.  One thing to note is that when I pick a file in maintain database, and click open, it does show the fields I have in the file, but when I choose to display all of them and click open it gives that error, An error occurred while opening the file....  error number:  2

IP Logged
ITman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/16/03 at 08:25:54

Anyone again? Smiley

IP Logged
NovaZyg
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/16/03 at 09:15:24

I sent you an email direct to your hotmail. I guess you did not get it?

Sent to the email you signed up with for ISTECH Support.

IP Logged
ITman

Hello!

Reply #8 - 11/11/03 at 12:03:31

Sorry for the long time to reply, I've been busy...  I ran the file, but still have the same problem.  When I go to open BKICMSTR.B11 for example in Maintain database I get a btrieve error 2.  When I try to run programs that access the file, it says that field I'm trying to use is unallocated.  

I've gotten around it kinda, by installing Evo on the same PC and coping the database over to create a test enviroment.  However, after I compile I have to copy the screen and program over to the dbamfg folder just to run it and it is kinda annoying...

Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print