Send Topic Print
Data Export (Read 2251 times)
ctbe
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Data Export
10/15/03 at 10:25:30

I just found this forum today, and I hope someone here can help me.  

We need to get some of our DBA data into Excel spreadsheets.  Can anyone provide some non-technical people with instructions on exporting data to Excel.

My boss wants 4 spreadsheets.  Customers, Vendors, Parts, and Bill of materials.

His son is moretechnical than anyone here and will be the one following the instructions.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Re: Data Export
Reply #1 - 10/15/03 at 10:51:40

here are the instructions I gave one computer illiterate guy in my office.   It might be too simple for you.  It takes much longer to read this,than to do it.    Try it with the open SO listing...then you can easlily figure out what to do with the other reports.

Directions for to export DBA  open SO  listing to a spread sheet.

1.  List SO-O-A to screen.    
2.  reduce screen by clicking on magnify glass icon 3 or 4 times
3.  Highlight data only--
       Do not highlight   titles at top of page or column headings or anything below customer total
4.  Right click on mouse and option box will pop up.
5.  Left click on copy
6.  exit out of SO-O-A
7.  minimize DBA by clicking on dash in far right hand corner  
8.  Back at main windows menu-click on start and option  options will up.
9.  run mouse pointer up to PROGRAMS  and other options pop up.  PROGRAMS will be high lighted in Black10.
10.  with PROGRAMS staying highlighted in Black-slide mouse pointer down to EXCELL and click open
11. you will see book 1  
12.  make sure 1A and only 1A is highlighted , right click mouse and press paste.
13. mouse click on  Data  at top of page
14.  click on column   A   ---it will go black
15. slide down and highlight    Text to Columns  
16. Push next
17 .  Delete lines between space in customers' name by double clicking on each arrow point.
             do not remove any lines beyond the line after s  

18. Push next.
19  Push Finish
20  back to book 1
21.  highlight columns A-E etc and rows 1- whatever    
22.  Copy by  clicking on  COPY icon at top of page- Data should be look like   hollywood    marquis
23  Minimize book 1 by  right clicking on the  minimize at the very top top of the page.
24. At main window menu  open WORKS  
25. In far left column choose works spread sheet
26 now mouse click on START A BLANK SPREAD SHEET and open  a new spread sheet
27.  mouse highlight on 1A , right click and press PASTE
28. Go to top left  and press FILE
29  slide down to    SAVE AS    and  choose  ------      as directory, name file w/date and save.
30. highlight-select all data
31. Go to FORMAT at very top mid page, slide down to COLUMN WIDTH and choose BEST FIT
31.  Delete Column A (which should be PCC)
32. Column A should now be SO# and Column B should be raw date.
33. Fix date by highlighting column B,  click on FORMAT, slide down to NUMBER,  fill in date circle_OK
34  Fix price by highlighting column C, click on FORMAT, slide down to NUMBER, fill in currency -OK
35. Save by pressing diskette icon on tool bar
36.  now modify-add  column headings, delete colums etc.
37  SAVE again
38.close your new spread sheet
39 right right click on minimized EXCELL book 1 spead sheet and close

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #2 - 10/15/03 at 11:28:26

actually, the last 15 steps or so is taking the data off of Excel and putting it into a works SS.    

My guy exports it to EXCEL and then to Works....I think it is because the customer requesting this info doesn't have EXCEL.

ref: exporting data to EXCEL

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
kevind

I was more than
willing to
"pony up",
how b'out U?

Reply #3 - 10/15/03 at 11:36:18

OR

You could use the Excel's ability to directly access ODBC Data sources.

Data->Get External Data->Create New Query

You specify which fields to include, from what tables and with what criteria.  The data is retrieved from the DBA data files, and deposited directly into Excel Cells.  You can chose to refresh the sheet each time it is opened or to only refresh the data on demand.

You can even have calculations on each row that automaticly get expanded or contracted depending upon how may rows get returned.

I used this technique to create a spreadsheet that clasifies Inventory items into Type A, B, or C based on their Dollar Cost Volume.

We then used this clasification to define a Cycle Count Program that counts all A items at least once a month, B at least once a Quarter, and C at least once a year.

(If you would like, I could create a template file for you that brings in customer code and customer name.  You could easily modify it for the other fields that you may want.)

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation
ISTECH 2004.1 7/26/13 SP1 - 20 user
Evo-ERP Build 7/25/13 T7 -7i R6 - 3 user
(Prev version was 2004.1 10/24/12)
(All Patches Installed as of 7/26/13)
Pervasive 2000i SP4 - Crystal Reports V10
Email WWW   IP Logged
HB

I love DBA

Reply #4 - 10/15/03 at 11:55:54

I believe the easiest way would be to use the DATA EXPORT in system manager.
for customers use BKARCUST as the databsae to export from, select delimited. you may select all fields or only what you want and even filter from e.g. "A" to "C" or only certain states etc.
you give the file a name like cust.txt.
Then open Excel and open the cust.txt file (it is in the DBAMFG folder) - (allow txt files to be shown) Excel will guide you through the import and conversion.
For other exports, look up the DBA manual (Appendix - File Names) to find out which database files contains the info you want.
BKICMSTR for inventory, but also MTICMSTR for more info on Inventory. BKAPVEND for Vendor master info

Helmut Bode
General Pencil Co.
DBA Classic 2004.1 w/IS Tech update 7/25/13
EVO-ERP
Pervasive 11
Win2008 Server
Terminal Server
12 Users
Email   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #5 - 10/15/03 at 12:03:12

In DBA, go to System Manager - DE-A Export Data.  The file you need will depend on what data you need.The names of the files are in the DBA Help file under File Names and there is also a list of fields you can download from http://www.istechsupport.com/freedl.asp

When you first start the D-A program, choose a date format.  Then, when the cursor is on the DBA File Name field, press F1 and the online help for the program will come up.  If you are going to use Excel with the exported data, I recommend using Delimited format.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
benp
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 10/17/03 at 08:54:17

Does anyone know how to export data to Access using DE-A?  I am not that familiar with Access, and it won't open the mdb I create.

IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #7 - 10/17/03 at 11:36:12

Benp,

You cannot export data to Access.  You can import it.  You need to set up an ODBC connection on the server, and then a matching one on the client station(s) and the ODBC connection is what you use in Access to connect to the tables and import the data.

Assuming that you are on a relatively recent version of DBA your data is contained in tables in a folder called Default (or something similar) under the DBAMFG directory.

If this is in fact true, you need to run a program in DBA UT-A before trying to make the ODBC.  The program name is 'ODBCDDF'.  This creates the Data Dictionary Files in each of the company folders under DBAMFG.  That way Access can read these in order to connect through ODBC.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
nicknails

Reply #8 - 11/08/03 at 09:52:26

Is there a good ODBC tutorial on the web that anyone is aware of?  I've never used ODBC before and would like to use it for a few different things if I can get it working correctly.

Nick Naylor
American Power Design
3 Industrial Drive Unit 6
Windham, NH 03087

(603)-894-4446

nick@apowerdesign.com
WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #9 - 11/10/03 at 05:14:18

I got help from a list member that you may find informative. You can find it at http://www.istechforum.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=CGeneral;action=display;num=104 6815804

Reply #4 should give you the info you need to use ODBC.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print