Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/17/24 at 03:57:24
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Employee loans or advances (Read 2556 times)
deburr

Employee loans or advances
12/22/03 at 05:39:17

We loan employees money from time to time and it is always a pain to keep tracked of. The employee generally pays the loan back through a payroll deduction, but this means some extra record keeping on my part and then transfering amounts from the user deduction vendor and other messy transactions.

Has anyone figured out a way to do an advance or loan through payroll and have a weekly deduction pay down those amounts and maintain a good audit trail.

Steve

Thanks,

Steve Cyr
Deburring House Inc.
EVOERP
Version 2018.2
PSQL 12

Email   IP Logged
rlevasseur

This forum is a
great help!!

Re: Employee loans or advances
Reply #1 - 12/22/03 at 07:33:13

Generally, we have found that loaning money (cash) is not a good policy. We do encourage those that are short in funds to request selling excess vacation time back to the company. We do encourage our employees to purchase tools thru the company purchasing department. These amounts are setup on the balance sheet as an asset classified as "employee receivables". Every week a deduction is taken out of the employees paycheck and taken off of employee receivables.
We have found that the accounting works real good for the CPA to finalize their numbers at the close of the year. One final note is that we do not allow the employee receivables to accumulate larger that the employees weekly pay.

DBA 2018.2 w/ IS TECH SUPPORT UPDATE
EVO/ERP 2018.2 Build - 7/23/2018 T7 - 7iR11
Pervasive Version 11.30 Peer-to-Peer
XP Pro, Windows 7 Professional
  IP Logged
Lenette

That's why they call
it work!!

Reply #2 - 08/05/05 at 15:42:33

well i'm glad i don't work for rlevasseur's company.... Roll Eyes

Steve, have you found a solution for a better way to handle Payroll Advances??  If so, could you share?

Version: Current (always current on patches)
Build - 05/21/19 T7-7iR11
Pervasive 12.00 - EVO seats 15 DC seats 5
DBA since 2002

Lenette Egan
McDantim Inc
Helena, Montana
Email WWW   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #3 - 08/06/05 at 04:12:27

We loan our employees money quite regularly and it seems to be the same 10 or 12 guys over and over.   I used to play havoc keeping control, but a few yrs ago I came up with this:  
I have created venders such as:
                                       emplo-Smit                                            
                                       emplo-Jone
& I have created GL accts such as:
                                       29900-2012  (Smiths emp#)
                                       29900-3017   (Jones  emp#)

When I loan Jones money I go to AP and enter a voucher choosing  his specific vendor, and code it out to his specific GL acct.      Yes this makes for longer statements but I no longer get confused.

We use an outside payroll service, but I think this would work even if you used DBA payroll.    

I am always amazed when a guy that makes 50k or 60K a yr asks for power bill money or money to fix his transmission.  I have thought about  not loaning money, but I guess I am too soft.   I have been doing this 26 yrs.  Its just a part of the job.

Also we just started a NEW POLICY (after an employyee told my husband he needed the money for one thing and used it on something else).   We no longer write checks to Smith or Jones.  We now got into AP-A and change  empl-smit  name to Alabama Power Co.   or Amoco Transmission.    
(The vendor code is still emplo-smit, the name just changes on a regular basis)

This NEW POLICY has cut down loans by over 50% ! ! !
One guy that has been getting 6 or 7 loans a year has stopped totally!

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #4 - 08/08/05 at 03:23:26

Quote from Laura Oliver   on 08/06/05 at 04:12:27:
One guy that has been getting 6 or 7 loans a year has stopped totally!

Probably because they don't want the vendor to know that someone else is paying their bill....

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
Rbuchanan
Browser

Is it too late to
change my mind
?!?!?!

Reply #5 - 08/08/05 at 05:08:30

As an accountant, what difference does it make what they are spending the money on??  You're kidding yourself if you don't think they'll have you pay the power bill while they use their own money to pay the gabmling debt, bar tab or whatever Tongue.  You don't ask them how they spend their regular paycheck do you??

As for the loaning part, I think your key word was "soft".  Keep in mind that banks make all their money by loaning out cash to folks that ask, and they get a hansome reward usually called "interest" Shocked.  Shoot, there's even an entire industry based on the fact that some folks can't seem to make it from paycheck to paycheck, and their interest rates make the bankers look like saints.  I'll bet you're not charging your employees for the priviledge of using your money, or worse yet, the company's owners money!

I know that sounds fairly hard-nosed, but keep in mind what you are in business for.  If you did so well at loaning money, why aren't you a bank? (And I'd assume that a bank really wouldn't be using DBA!)  We've had instances in the past where someone had a catastrophy of some sorts and we'd loan tham money to cover major car reapir after an accident or medical bills after a heart attack, but I can't imagine paying power bills for 10-12 people.

BTW, on those rare occassions that the ogre accountant (i.e. me   Angry) lets loose of a loan, we do the employee receivable entry and then set them up on a deduction schedule in DBA to take a little bit out of several paychecks.  Smiley

Rob Buchanan
Macon Metal Products Company, Inc.

ISTS 2005.1 6/20 Update, 21 User
&
Evo 2005.1, 3 User

XP Pro w/ SP2 & Pervasive 2000i
MS SBS 2003 C/S Setup
Email   IP Logged
Lenette

That's why they call
it work!!

Reply #6 - 08/08/05 at 05:27:31

Thanks for the all the input... but I still would like to know if anyone has found a better method to process salary advances:

Currently (btw we use DBA payroll) ....
  • 1st a check is issued to the employee.  The money is charged to GL # 1925.
  • A user defined deduction has been setup using GL # 1925.
  • Payroll is processed and that "liability" line is transferred to AP.  (Which creates a wash in GL # 1925.)
  • AP clerk then enters via AP-B a CM for the amount of the deduction to GL # 1925.
  • Then a zero $$ check (payroll transfer to AP offset by CM entered) is issued to clear the "company vendor" from the AP agings.
I'm sure there has to be an easier way??????

DBA since 2002

Lenette Egan
McDantim Inc
Helena, Montana
Email WWW   IP Logged
RAGINE

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 08/08/05 at 05:45:45

Our company also makes loans to employees (mostly the family members) but they are charged 8% interest. I have a user-defined account MISC PAYROLL DEDUCTIONS. I then transfer the deduction to us as a vendor, I then do a credit voucher to Emp loan acct (asset) and also interest income acct and then apply the credit to balance the account. I use a specific block of numbers for the check run (beginning w/#900). It is extra work, but how do you tell the president of the company to teach is kids how to pay there bills ???
Ragine

Ragine Hendrickson
Manufacturing Systems Inc/TRU-CATCH TRAPS
ISTECH 2004.1 10/31/06 UPDATE
Email WWW   IP Logged
Cyndee Pappas

EVO~ERP 2006.1
02/28/06 update

Reply #8 - 08/08/05 at 10:05:37

OK, guys, I'm going to fess up. I never transfer my payroll liabilities. I have beaucoup bucks available to transfer when I look under PR-H. I just let them sit there. I have under 10 employees in only 1 state. We have only a few user defined deductions. I don't see the point in going through the transfer process for each of my 5 payroll divisions. I make a single AP voucher for each liability based on my payroll journal. The details are all there in the payroll journal and the general ledger transactions. I "think" this is sufficient as an audit trail. This is something that has puzzled me for a long time. It may cause me to smack my forehead in a "why didn't I think of that?", but I would appreciate it if someone would let me know if I might be getting myself in trouble.

So, Lenette, my easier way is to stop after step 2.  Posting the Payroll batch through GL washes your account #1925, right? If I'm right you don't have to transfer the liability, which eliminates steps 4 & 5 also. (You can still transfer your other liabilities, just zero out this line). If you were charging interest,  you would still need to make an entry to split the interest out of account #1925

Cyndee Pappas
Industrial Data Systems
EVO~ERP 2006.1 with 02/28/06 update
Client/Server Win2000 Server
Pervasive SQL 2000i

WWW   IP Logged
Lenette

That's why they call
it work!!

Reply #9 - 08/08/05 at 12:38:05

Cyndee, I had thought about not transferring liability or maybe it could be done on a quarterly or annual basis.

On another note:  if our employees were making $50-60K a year then I'm sure we wouldn't be advancing to employees.  Although, I believe that $50-60K is probably not enough for people that live in major cities.  It's kinda all relative to your location.

DBA since 2002

Lenette Egan
McDantim Inc
Helena, Montana
Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #10 - 08/09/05 at 02:55:55

Quote from Cyndee Pappas   on 08/08/05 at 10:05:37:
OK, guys, I'm going to fess up. I never transfer my payroll liabilities.......I make a single AP voucher for each liability based on my payroll journal.

I do exactly the same thing. Don't see anything wrong with it.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
Karen Mason

Ain't life grand!?!

Reply #11 - 08/09/05 at 03:40:44

Same here.  We do not transfer p/r liabilities.  We do limited advances, usually less than the p/r check.  We do allow the advances over a period of time 2-4 weeks, depending on the amount.  We write the a/p check to the employee, charging to an asset account.  It is relieved through the payroll transaction.

For items that are longer than one pay cycle, you can use the p/r user defined deduction and set the annual limit and each pay period deduction amount for the employee.  Need to change the limit each time an advance is made to the employee.  That way, when the limit is reached, it is no longer deducted and we don't have to worry about keeping track of it manually.

Karen Mason, Vice President
Bula Forge & Machine, Inc.
1-60# forgings, machining, & assembly
Cleveland, OH
Tel:216-252-7600 Fax:216-252-7601 www.bulaforge.com
EVO-ERP 09/16/09 SP2
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print