Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/18/24 at 17:39:26
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Deleting old locations? (Read 858 times)
Kristie
Browser

Deleting old locations?
01/22/04 at 10:08:29

We have several locations that have 0 inventory and are no longer in use.  Is there a way to delete these locations?

Kristie Merritt
Retsco, Ltd.
2004.1 w/IS Tech Support Update 2/22/05
  IP Logged
shadowcaster

I'm not here because
I know what to do.

Re: Deleting old locations?
Reply #1 - 01/22/04 at 12:47:55

I dont know if this will delete the locations but it will get rid of all the records so you can delete them in maintain database

If you figure it out be sure to post how to do it I need this too

JW

UT-K-E
Purpose of Program

Use this program to consolidate all your inventory Location data into a single new Location for each inventory item.  Generally this program is used in two situations.  First, only one Location is used at a company, yet it was set up with an actual name rather than with a blank name, causing unnecessary data entry in various programs.  In this case UT-K-E can serve to transfer all the Location data from the named Location to the blank Location.

The second use is where a company starts out setting up multiple Locations (see How to Use Multiple Locations), then decides to change its setup scheme or naming scheme and wants to start over with a single, clean Location.
The program deletes all location records in the Location file (BKICLOC) for all inventory items, then creates a new master Location record that updates the Location with the aggregate stock status counts for each inventory record.

General Program Operation

MAKE A BACKUP FIRST.  This is a utility program that will affect many data records.  With a backup you can always restore the data if for any reason the program does not produce the desired results.
GET EVERYONE OFF THE SYSTEM: Get all users off the system before running this program.      
First you are given a warning as to what the program does and then you are asked to confirm if you want to proceed.
Enter the name of the main Location that you want to be the new single Location.  After entering the Location name the program will begin processing.

WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #2 - 01/22/04 at 17:59:22

This will work ONLY if you want to end up with only 1 Location. If you have 10 and want to get rid of 3 of them, it won't work.

IS Tech has a Search and Replace/Delete/Adjust utility that can be used to clean up Locations.  Email me if you are interested.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
rich
Browser

Reply #3 - 02/06/04 at 12:59:07

I have found a time consuming, yet risky way of doing this.  But it requires getting into the Maintain Database and deleting records from BKICLOC and BKICLOCM.  

Along those same lines, how do you change the default location from "blank" to have a name?

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #4 - 02/06/04 at 13:07:11

You are right, Maintain Database and deleting BKICLOC and BKICLOCM records is time consuming.  That's where the Search and Delete utility comes in handy.

Also you need to run UT-K-B to change the Location of and Sales, Purchase or Work Orders and inventory transaction history that may be assigned to the Location you are deleting from that location to another valid location.

To change the blank to a named Location, you need to create the new location, then use UT-K-B to change the BKICLOC and all the order and invoice and inventory transaction files and lot/serial and Physical Inventory files as applicable from blank to the new location.  

Or (may be easier) blow away ALL your locations using UT-K-E and replace with one named location, then recreate any additional locations and transfer inventory.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
john_rose
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 03/04/04 at 14:11:39

I have used the utility that Lynn is talking about. It works great, be sure you understand what you are doing. Once you consolidate the transactions you can delete the location in Maintain database.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print