Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DBA & XP (Read 1475 times)
John Bierrie
Browser

DBA & XP
02/10/04 at 18:17:08

I have gone well past the point where I have any more reasonable thoughts on how to get this accomplished.

Anyone have any luck "consistantly" installing DBA on a computer with XP or XP Pro?

We are replacing a number of computers, which these days come with Windows XP.  I have computers which run on 95, 98, ME, 2000 and XP and all have no problem with DBA.  For the past week, I have been trying to get one computer to run DBA and nothing I do seems to make much difference.

We have removed the splash screen from Pervasive, no help...  I've installed about five versions of XP, including the one's that I installed on two other computers which do run DBA fine.  I'd really rather not go back to 98 on these computers, so any ideas would be a big help.

Thanks

John H. Bierrie
W.I.C.C. Ltd.
Email WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Re: DBA & XP
Reply #1 - 02/10/04 at 19:49:21

What EXACTLY is the problem?

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #2 - 02/10/04 at 21:22:23

I talked to John today, we are both losing hair on this one.  He has other workstations with XP that load DBA fine so it is presumably not a server or network problem.  But he has a couple of new XP stations that load the DBA Splash screen (the bad hair guy in the red jacket) and hang.  Already tried killing the Pervasive Splash Screen, that's not it.  And even reinstalled XP using the exact same  XP version as the stations that work.  AAGGHHH!!!  I hate these kind of problems.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #3 - 02/10/04 at 22:05:31

Sounds to me like it is time to check:

1) the NIC cards
2) the license permissions on the server
3) the TCP/IP protocol stack

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
John Bierrie
Browser

Reply #4 - 02/11/04 at 05:08:48

NIC's:

2 - built in on Asus MB's...  1000T  
1 - Netgear 1000T
2 - 3-Com 1000T

On the one's which work...

Various 3-Com's, 2 other Netgear (one a 1000T) and at least one other Asus MB built in.

License permissions:

I am assuming you mean access, etc. and it is always (for the moment) with my login under Novell 5.1  and I am set for admin rights, etc. with complete access.

TCP/IP protocol stack:

Need more info as to what you want to know...  I know the computers (server to computer) talk to each other fine.  I have access to everything else on the server.

John H. Bierrie
W.I.C.C. Ltd.
Email WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #5 - 02/11/04 at 08:08:41

Ahhhh, Novel server.....

What service pack are the other XP stations as compared to the new one?

I believe there is an issue with Novel Client 5.x and the latest XP version. You could check that more closely on the Novel site, but I am pretty sure I remember hearing from my networking guru that there was a problem.

As to the permissions, I though you were using Win Server and had used up your max clients, or maybe you were site to server licensing instead of client licensing.

The protocol stack thing REQUIRES a certified networking person to check out. If everything else fails, then you need to go that way.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
John Bierrie
Browser

Reply #6 - 02/12/04 at 22:22:04

Lorne,

....and the winner of this year's "What the heck is happening with DBA, Novell, XP Award is...", or better put, why the heck can't people leave well enough alone, award, would be you.

Thank you VERY MUCH!!

Oh, THANK YOU to Lynn too... who walked me through some of the more "basic" elements that I had forgotten over the years.

I'd also like to thank our "ex" IT guy who stopped by yesterday afternoon for a brief chat and who was pressed into service to actually FIX the darn'd thing!!

Novell Client 4.90 does NOT LIKE PERVASIVE, or Pervasive does not like it.

Novell Client 4.83 is OK with it.

Can anyone spell "backwards compatability" ???

Everything else we have on the server works just fine with 4.9, nothing else hickups or burps.

Point 2,3, or maybe even 4...  KILL ALL "IT" PEOPLE!!!!  He redeamed himself by actually getting things to work, but he had left a copy of the Pervasive "engine" in the upgrade / update area appearing as a "client".  He remembered it, but I had no way of knowing what he had done.   Oh...and that may not "technically" be correct, but he did say..."Don't use the stuff in THAT directory, I left it there by accident...".

Also... one computer required the splash screen to be turned off, the other one did not.  Go figure. Smiley

So, all is well in Vaudville, again these days... at least until tomorrow morning when I ask my next question!

Thanks again!!

John H. Bierrie
W.I.C.C. Ltd.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print