Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/04/24 at 20:32:01
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
estimated costs in work orders (Read 2421 times)
cathyh

I used to be
indecisive; now I'm
not so sure......

estimated costs in work orders
03/02/04 at 14:34:31

This is a problem that I started a string on in the manufacturing category.
We have been looking at a finished good that we make lots of and it has a long established routing and BOM and the costs are all rolled up in the BOM module.  HEre is what happens, sporadically, that is we don't know why it happens with some work orders and not others:  The work order is made as a stock work order with DBA assigning the work order number.  The work order is saved and the estimated costs are recalculated.  WE go back into the work order to add a job number or some notes in WO-A and when we save the work order, and recalculate the estimated costs the labor costs disappear and the only way to get them back is to enter them down in the estimated costs fields for labor, fixed overhead, and variable overhead.  By the way it never occurred to us to enter a number in those fields, didn't know DBA would accept and entry there.  Is this new? Shocked
If we recalculate estimated costs when we save the work order, they disappear again.  If we don't recalculate estimated costs when saving the work order then they show up in the job cost summary total for estimated costs.  We can not see a pattern with how these work orders are entered, they seem to be entered the same as others that don't lose the labor estimates when we save and recalculate.  WE are stumped!
 ???

Cathy Hamilton
Wing Inflatables, Inc.
EVO-ERP2008.1(20 users) w/IS Tech update 5/25/09 (as of 08/21/09)
Windows 2008 Server/client
Pervasive V10.1
Email WWW   IP Logged
Tim Keating

DBA CLASSIC WIN 2000
C/S

Re: estimated costs in work orders
Reply #1 - 03/02/04 at 15:25:14

This is definitely a bug and we have been able to repeat it on our system.  When we reschedule the due date of a work order, the Projected Setup Cost and the Projected Labor Cost go to zero.  It happens when Recalculating Projected Costs before closing the screen.

I checked the WORKORD file and the projected costs definitely changed to zero.

We would love to have this fixed!

Tim Keating
Motor Guard Corporation
Email WWW   IP Logged
Tim Keating

DBA CLASSIC WIN 2000
C/S

Reply #2 - 03/02/04 at 17:46:59

Update - Went to SD-B Work Order Defaults changed setting for Use Projected or Estimated $ and Hrs? from 'P' to 'E' and problem goes away.

Recalculated costs for Work Order and Setup and Labor costs reappear.

Tim Keating
Motor Guard Corporation
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #3 - 03/02/04 at 17:49:26

There was at one time a bug that the Work Orders were getting set up with the Number of Persons in the Routing set to 0 which caused the recalculation to zero out the labor.  I thought we had fixed it but I believe both of you have the IS Tech updates installed so if you are still seeing it, then it must still be a problem, at least under some circumstances.  Could you check WO-L-A and see if in fact the Number of Persons for the operations is set to 0?  Also, how are your work orders created?

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Tim Keating

DBA CLASSIC WIN 2000
C/S

Reply #4 - 03/02/04 at 17:54:36

Lynn:

I think my posting above addresses problem even though I don't fully understand it.

To answer your other questions, we have number of operators globally set to 1.00 so I can't confirm that issue.

We issue work orders manually through WO-A.

Tim Keating
Motor Guard Corporation
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #5 - 03/02/04 at 18:14:22

AHA!!  Now I know where to look.  The Projected versus Estimated hours is the key.  Thanks!

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
cathyh

I used to be
indecisive; now I'm
not so sure......

Reply #6 - 03/05/04 at 09:49:31

I haven't tried setting projected or estimated to E yet ( will do that as soon as I sign on to DBA! Grin)but the most consistent errors come from work orders created in WO-A.  Work orders crconverted from a sales order don't seem to be affected.

Cathy Hamilton
Wing Inflatables, Inc.
Pervasive V10.1
Email WWW   IP Logged
cathyh

I used to be
indecisive; now I'm
not so sure......

Reply #7 - 03/05/04 at 10:23:52

Hi, again! I just changed setting in WO defaults to E and one of the troubled wo's( created in WO-A) worked and another didn't.  however the ones that didn't fix are already finished but not closed.  This may be the problem with them.   However another set of wo's that were created in WO-A as a multiple and given different dates, the changed to separate wo's using WO-K-C create multidate work orders, are not finished and are not fixed.  The labor is still gone after recalculating.

« Last Edit: 03/05/04 at 11:48:14 by cathyh »  

Cathy Hamilton
Wing Inflatables, Inc.
Pervasive V10.1
Email WWW   IP Logged
cathyh

I used to be
indecisive; now I'm
not so sure......

Reply #8 - 03/09/04 at 11:42:03

I have done a little more research in maintain database and hope someone will have an answer for me.  We have a couple of different scenarios( some work order shave no estimated labor and overhead costs)  but here is one that I have checked out: Work order 4161-3 for a finished good with routing and BOM.  When the work order is saved, and recalulated the estimated costs are 51.32, 33.53, and 46.42 for labor, variable ovhd, fixed ovhd.  In the rolled up cost for the part number, the values for these costs are 1565.81, 1063.97, and 1416.45.  I went into maintain database (in my test company!) and in WORKORD changed the values for estimated costs that were the first set of numbers, to the second set of numbers.  When I went into the work order again, the estimated costs were right, but when I saved and recalulated, they changed back to the first set again.  I went into maintain database to look at WOROUT and found the exact numbers, 51.32, 33.53, 46.42 in the estimated labor cost for the second sequence ( the first doesn't have any estimated labor)  All the sequences were listed in this record and all have the # 1 in the operator field.  Most have estimated costs in the three fields ( A couple don't have any estimated costs for labor- they are mainly used to issue materials, or are not always used ).  But DBA is not summing all of the sequences to get the total estimated costs, it is only adding the first sequence with costs. I don't know where else to look for a total.  Where exactly is DBA going to get the numbers to add up the estimated costs for this work order?  I need help because my staff that creates these work orders and manages them  are so nervous about what is causing this they are afraid to create any more!
Also, until I read the post about E vs P in the wo defaults, our setting was blank.  I changed it to E and so maybe this is not happening anymore.

Cathy Hamilton
Wing Inflatables, Inc.
Pervasive V10.1
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print