Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Updating Inventory (Read 1441 times)
stediwatt
Browser

Updating Inventory
03/03/04 at 12:06:31

Hello,

We have recently begun bringing our DBA inventory counts up to date.  They have not been updated recently.  I am using IN-K - Adjust Physical Levels - to accomplish this.  The problem is, the module adjusts the value of our inventory and I don't have any pricing information for our the inventory that has been received since the last update. Is there a way to simply change the item amount, without affecting the value? The present inventory value is useless anyway.  Also, is there anything else I need to be aware of after letting the inventory go for so long? (We have been entering sales orders and purchase orders, but the purchase orders are recieved into a bulk materials account.)  

Sorry if any of this doesn't make sense, I really have no background in accounting or inventory systems.

IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Re: Updating Inventory
Reply #1 - 03/03/04 at 12:29:01

IN-K does not make any postings to the inventory G/L account. It WILL affect the Inventory value report. If you also want no effect on the report you need to make the adjustments in 3 steps:

1) zero the 2 cost fields and go out of IN-K
2) Change your quantities
3) Re-enter the cost fields

OR

You can do this through the PI module as a physical count.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #2 - 03/03/04 at 16:51:54

Not true.  If the GL posting for Inventory adjustments is set to Y, then both IN-C and IN-K will post the amount of the adjustment to the GL, hitting Inventory and COGS.  If you are trying to avoid posting to the GL, set the AD-A flag for posting Adjustments to GL to N.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
stediwatt
Browser

Reply #3 - 03/04/04 at 09:26:01

First of all, thanks for the help. I want to explain more of my situation, and get some advice on which route to take. The inventory was taken by printing IN-J - Print Physical Check - and marking the actual items in stock on that print out. Would it now be easier to use IN-K or use the PI module and manually transcribe the numbers? The printout takes about 60 pages, a large number of which have no changes to make.

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #4 - 03/04/04 at 10:18:12

If most have no changes, then IN-K for the ones that do have changes would probably be easier.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
shadowcaster

I'm not here because
I know what to do.

Reply #5 - 03/04/04 at 14:07:41

Why would you use IN-K over IN-C

we always use IN-C

JW

WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #6 - 03/04/04 at 19:05:36

IN-C and IN-K have the same end result (both post to Inventory and GL Transaction files) but have the following differences:

1.  IN-C allows entry of a transaction date.  IN-K posts the transaction as of the system date of the workstation when the entry is made.

2.  In IN-K, you enter the total on hand quantity and the program does the math to figure out the adjustment.  IN-C, you need to enter the adjustment amount (+ or -) to get from the current on hand to the counted quantity.  So if you count 10 and DBA says you have 8, in IN-K you enter 10 but in IN-C you enter an adjustment of 2

3.  IN-C allows you to add parts to stock at a different cost than what is already there.  IN-K simply increases quantity at the current average cost.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
stediwatt
Browser

Reply #7 - 03/22/04 at 13:32:40

I got everything worked out. Thanks you all for the help. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print