Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/19/24 at 02:13:35
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Crystal Report 7 and btrieve error 22 (Read 3315 times)
Scott Gelb
Browser

Tri-Way Industries,
Inc.

Crystal Report 7 and btrieve error 22
05/24/04 at 10:27:51

Here's a good one.  Background: updated to 2002.4 with all patches and Lynns updates last weekend after testing it out for two months.  Updated on a Novell 4.11 system, but test platform was an NT 4 sp6a platform.  Updated also to Pervasive sp3, sp4 and hotfix.  All works well with one exception (and that is the item I did not test), I have a crystal report that uses the workord.b file and I keep getting a btrieve error 22 telling me that the buffer length is wrong.  DBA is working fine.  I have run some tests on the test platform, I have gone back to pervasive 2000 sp1, no change.  I have run every program I can think of to rebuild the workord.b (re-indexed, binary zero, ddcheck, etc) with the exception of reinitializing the file.  What could be the problem.  I have even tried another version of Crystal Reports, same problem.  I really need some help as we use these reports quite a lot.  Thanks.

Email   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Re: Crystal Report 7 and btrieve error 22
Reply #1 - 05/24/04 at 11:31:46

In Pervasive CC, what is your Communication Buffer Size, MKDE Buffer Size and Read Buffer Size set at?

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
Scott Gelb
Browser

Tri-Way Industries,
Inc.

Reply #2 - 05/25/04 at 07:35:10

Communication Buffer= 64512
MKDE = 64512
Read Buffer = 4096

Email   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #3 - 05/25/04 at 11:00:18

OK, what about the Sort buffer Size under Memory Usage?

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
Scott Gelb
Browser

Tri-Way Industries,
Inc.

Reply #4 - 05/25/04 at 12:07:22

Sort Buffer size is 0

Email   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #5 - 05/25/04 at 13:18:51

OK....then it isn't actually anything to do with buffers per se (red herring). Something to do with Novell 4 and how it is dealing with some of the newer TAS code that ISTS has incorporated into the latest versions and how that relates to Crystal.

I would try transfering your data to a secure location, and uninstalling Pervasive, DBA and Crystal from the server and the clients. Then re-install and try the Crystal report, but point it at the test database (99 company) and see if it works. If it does, bring your data back in from the secure location and try the report again.

If it blows up then you know that it is a data error.

If that is the case, you could try using the Pervasive utilities to attempt to isolate it.

Or you could try recreating the Crystal report from scratch and see if that solves the issue.

Other than that, don't know what else to suggest....

Except maybe try Access..... undecided

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
Scott Gelb
Browser

Tri-Way Industries,
Inc.

Reply #6 - 05/25/04 at 14:15:11

Appreciate the help.  This is not a Novell problem as I can recreate it on NT 4 exactly.  I have already tried running a new report with the workord.b file and it also blows up.  I have tried archiving work order history and that has not worked.  Some how there is a problem in that particular table that does not effect DBA, but does effect Crystal reports and none of the tools that DBA has will fix the table.

Email   IP Logged
Scott Gelb
Browser

Tri-Way Industries,
Inc.

Reply #7 - 05/25/04 at 16:30:32

I tried something new here.  I copied a 2000.1 version of workord.b to my 2002.4 (with updates) and the crystal report ran fine.  So something in the update rebuilding the files did not work correctly.  What programs can I run to rebuild the file.  I have tried the pervasive programs with no luck and I have tried all of the DBA programs, and the results are that everything is fine.

Email   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #8 - 05/25/04 at 19:28:34

Have you run UPDFILE on the wordord table?

Does the report open at all?

If yes to both, I can only suggest a couple of other options that may or may not work:

1) Try eliminating fields from the report one by one until it doesn't blow up anymore

2) Try using MS Access and see if you can see and interact with all the data. If you can, then maybe the only way to deal with this will be to use Access as an intermediary. Does this make sense?

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
Scott Gelb
Browser

Tri-Way Industries,
Inc.

Reply #9 - 05/26/04 at 06:27:57

I have run update on the workord.b file several times.  The report opens in design view, but when you go to actually run the report and populate the fields, it blows up.  I have created new reports using workord.b and trying several combinations of fields in the report and it still blows up.  As soon as you try to access the data in workord.b you get the "data buffer length" error pop-up.
I have tried to use access in the past, but I have never had much luck setting up an odbc connection in Novell.

Email   IP Logged
Scott Gelb
Browser

Tri-Way Industries,
Inc.

Reply #10 - 05/26/04 at 07:10:33

Addition to my last post.  I have created an odbc link to my test platform (nt4) and can see the data in workord.b table.  I have created queries for it also.  So now I am stumped even more.  
I am not really looking forward to recreating my reports in access, but if that is the only way, then that is what I may have to do.  
My only concern is that there is still something wrong with the workord.b file and that it will cause me a problem down the road.
My other option is to take my backup file of workord. b and add in any changes that have been done in the last two weeks through maintain database in DBA to bring it up to date.

Email   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #11 - 05/27/04 at 11:24:45

Scott,

I'm thinking that there is some piece of data that Crystal is trying to read that it is choking on. Which is why I was suggesting trying to see how Access would deal with the data. If Access is able to garb all the data and you can do one of the quick report formats (tabular or some such of the one-click type reports) then it is an issue with Version 7 likely choking on a data element from the latest structures in the Workord file. At that point you might look at seeing if a later version of Crystal has the same issue. Willing to bet it won't..... Wink

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
Scott Gelb
Browser

Tri-Way Industries,
Inc.

Reply #12 - 05/27/04 at 11:59:01

I have tried Crystal Reports 8.5 version and it blows up also with the orginal report and a new one that I wrote.  Is there any other program to check integrity, file structure of workord.b?  I really do not want to have to go to access for my reports as we run both access 97 and 2000 here.  With crystal reports I just have to distribute the complete reports.

Email   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #13 - 05/27/04 at 14:28:14

I don't hink it is an issue with the structure...it is an issue with some data and how crystal "sees" that data....if Access has no problems though, you might consider using Access to connect to Workord and pull that into an Access table, and then connect the crystal report to the Access data source instead of directly to DBA..... Smiley

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
Scott Gelb
Browser

Tri-Way Industries,
Inc.

Reply #14 - 08/04/04 at 14:12:18

Okay, I know that this thread might be a little out dated but I have not given up on trying to resolve the problem.

I noticed today (finally) that when I run reports in DBA concering Work Orders a "Ask" box comes up about archived/non-archived work orders.  

Could this "Ask" function be causing the problem as this was not in the previous versions of DBA where Crystal Reports ran fine.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print