Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/17/24 at 08:22:25
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moving to a new server. (Read 1973 times)
tstay1
Browser

Moving to a new server.
06/28/04 at 13:15:50

I am trying to move a current installation to a new server.

I have the software running on the new computer but can't get the old company to run.

The company has the identity Ce. Do I create a new company with that identity and copy the old files there? Are there other files I need to copy?  

Thanks in advance!

Theresa
Custom Equipment, Inc.
2647 Hwy. 175
Richfield, WI 53076
262-644-1300
866-334-0756
  IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Re: Moving to a new server.
Reply #1 - 06/28/04 at 18:24:40

Assuming your data is company CE consisting of *.BCE data files located in a DBAMFG\CE folder on the old server, do the following:

1.  Make sure that both the new and old server are running the same version of DBA.  If you have IS Tech updates installed on the old server (not sure if you are a subscriber or not) you will also need to install the IS Tech update to the new server.
2.  On the new server, use UT-I to create company CE which will create the DBAMFG\CE folder with empty data files.
3.  Copy the \DBAMFG\CE folder from the old server to the new to bring over your data.
4.  Password security is stored in the Default company which is the *.B files located in DBAMFG\DEFAULT on the new server but either in DBAMFG\DEFAULT or in the root DBAMFG folder on the old server depending on how long ago you originally installed DBA.  In any event, those files need to be copied to DBAMFG\DEFAULT on the new server regardless where they were on the old server.
5.  If you have modified any forms you need to bring the *.RTM files from the DBAMFG folder on the old server.

Alternative approach - Since you already have Pervasive installed on the new server, copy the entire DBAMFG folder and all subfolders from the old server to the new server and it will bring everything across.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
tstay1
Browser

Reply #2 - 06/29/04 at 11:37:40

Thank you so much for responding. I am up and running. I originally installed the old installation over the new one but wasn't sure it was correct because of the 116 error I received.

After thinking about how the program should work with the data base utilizing a server, I was able to conclude that it was a matter of getting the program to look in the correct location. (I had nerver heard of the dba program before working  on this computer network.)

A little reasearch from the help files idicated the gateway tool was available to help solve the issue. After I changed the gateway everything was good to go.

Thank you again for the help and supporting this forum. A call to DBA Software was a kick in the groin. When I find clients looking for job shop software I will point them in your direction.

Theresa
Custom Equipment, Inc.
2647 Hwy. 175
Richfield, WI 53076
262-644-1300
866-334-0756
  IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #3 - 06/29/04 at 21:06:53

You are quite right, I left out a step - if you are running PSQL Workgroup as opposed to client/server then you need to reset the gateway to get past the error 116 - at the server, C:\DBAMFG\GATEWAY.EXE

Glad you are up and running.  Now that you have the new server installed, consider the program updates available from IS Tech Support!!!  Wink

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print