Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PS-B vs TAS-G (Read 1004 times)
Karen Mason

Ain't life grand!?!

PS-B vs TAS-G
07/13/04 at 05:39:48

Where does the use of PS-B come into play on EVO?  I set up various security levels to limit access to certain areas but they don't seem to hold when adding a new user.  I still need to go to TAS-G and remove the very same items from each menu.

Karen Mason, Vice President
Bula Forge & Machine, Inc.
1-60# forgings, machining, & assembly
Cleveland, OH
Tel:216-252-7600 Fax:216-252-7601 www.bulaforge.com
EVO-ERP 09/16/09 SP2
Email WWW   IP Logged
Danimal

Re: PS-B vs TAS-G
Reply #1 - 07/13/04 at 07:59:36

To the best of my knowledge, none of the security features in the PS menu are utilized by Evo.  This is why I had just recently converted our entire office to use Evo, as it was a hodgepodge of one of the other, and difficult to administer both systems.  I still need to fine-tune our menus as well.

TAS-G is your key to administering the Evo menus, which I recommend modifying the default to fit all of your users, copying it for everyone, then removing particular items for each individual.  I wish that there were a way to retain the entire alphabet  by disabling the menu items like DBA does, but is in fact wishful thinking.

I had gotten creative with a couple logins that do not access many screens:  made only one menu level (named "menu" - instead of items, mfg, sales, etc.) and removed the letter signifying the DBA menu position (i.e. under SO, "Print Acknowledgements", "Print Packing Slips", and "Print Invoices" appear - not "B - Print...", "C - Print..." etc.).  HTH   undecided

Email   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #2 - 07/13/04 at 09:27:19

Danimal is correct, Evo does not use the PS-B menu settings, it uses the menu set up for the users in TAS - G.

Danimal - What do you mean "Retain the entire Alphabet by disabling menu items"?  You can change the menu selection letters any way you want.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Danimal

Reply #3 - 07/13/04 at 10:18:11

Quote from Lynn Pantic   on 07/13/04 at 09:27:19:
What do you mean "Retain the entire Alphabet by disabling menu items"? You can change the menu selection letters any way you want.

For example, if I leave the signifier (i.e. "C" for SO-C, Print Packing Slips) along with the screen title on the menu; however, want to disable a user from releasing sales orders or posting invoices, their menu (in Evo) will read A, B, C, D, F, H, I... etc.  Not a big deal, but some users get used to things being where they are, and a 26-letter alphabet.   Wink

Here's a visual of what I am talking about.  I actually prefer to use a setup like the one displayed on the lower-right, as I had mentioned earlier.

Email   IP Logged
Karen Mason

Ain't life grand!?!

Reply #4 - 07/13/04 at 14:01:27

So the way to setup various standard security would be to give it generic names and copy to a person, then modify if further modification is needed?

IE:  Sales-give them what I want them to have
      Accounting-  etc

Karen Mason, Vice President
Bula Forge & Machine, Inc.
1-60# forgings, machining, & assembly
Cleveland, OH
Tel:216-252-7600 Fax:216-252-7601 www.bulaforge.com
EVO-ERP 09/16/09 SP2
Email WWW   IP Logged
Danimal

Reply #5 - 07/13/04 at 14:56:22

Yeah, it seems to work well as a replacement for the structure offered by PS-B.  Using TAS-G, create a new record named _SALES (as an example - I recommend using an underscore or something for the first character to help separate groups from users as the list is sorted alphabetically) copying from DEFAULT.

Modify the new group accordingly, removing access from major menus like System Mgr, submenus like System Mgr - TAS, or the like... stuff that anybody in the group won't need.  When you are happy with it, save it, then create your user record (i.e. LARRY) based off of the group, and further restrict it individually by removing more menu items as necessary (i.e. maybe Larry is the overly-generous type and shouldn't be allowed to make price changes).  Save the user record when finished.  When Larry logs on, then realizes he's the only one in the sales group who can't access the price change screen, maybe he'll change his ways.  Cheesy

Sounds like you had a good understanding of what I was getting at already.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print