Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/16/24 at 21:02:01
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reverse payroll deductions (Read 4456 times)
Anna
Browser

Reverse payroll deductions
09/22/04 at 07:11:58

An employee requested for IRA $ to be deducted from payroll.   Which it was on two paychecks.  They never would return application for IRA and are no longer employed.  How do I return the $ deducted and make sure the W-2 is correct? Could I write a payroll check for the amount so the payroll taxes would be correct?  
Anna

DBA Version 2004.1
  IP Logged
rlevasseur

This forum is a
great help!!

Re: Reverse payroll deductions
Reply #1 - 09/22/04 at 08:36:14

I have recently lost an employee and owed him some insurance deductions that were taken out on a weekly payroll deduction. I went into the deduction screen and entered the amount I owed him in a negative amount. Seems to work for that deduction and I would think that you could do the same with the IRA.   Smiley

DBA 2018.2 w/ IS TECH SUPPORT UPDATE
EVO/ERP 2018.2 Build - 7/23/2018 T7 - 7iR11
Pervasive Version 11.30 Peer-to-Peer
XP Pro, Windows 7 Professional
  IP Logged
Anna
Browser

Reply #2 - 09/22/04 at 10:31:16

After entering the negative deduction, did you process a payroll check?  I will not be issuing any more payroll checks.  Was the insurance amounts you took out pre-tax?

DBA Version 2004.1
  IP Logged
rlevasseur

This forum is a
great help!!

Reply #3 - 09/22/04 at 10:43:38

Anna,

These negative deductions were applied to the employee's last and final paycheck. They are not pre-tax, but I would think that you could redo a paycheck calculating the FIT to determine what entries would be necessary. We only do pre-tax on our Simple IRA and this employee did not qualify.

Rick

IP Logged
FRED
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 09/22/04 at 10:57:13

Hi, I have a similar issue.  An employee who is leaving our company advises me that the Flexible spending account amount (for daycare) that I have been withholding from his paycheck, and reimbursing to him every payroll, can not be justified with receipts - that is they really didn't spend that amount on daycare.  My mistake for not getting receipts all along the way!

So I owe SS and he owes SS, sdi and income taxes.  If I enter a negative deduction (he has one payroll left) will this correct my tax problems?  I don't want to PAY him the deducted amount (I already have...)

thank you,
Terri and Fred

IP Logged
RAGINE

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 09/22/04 at 12:40:10

Anna,
     I also had to re-imburse IRA deductions that were pre-taxed, Rick is correct, you can enter a negative amount in the deduction area and run a payroll check. It seemed to work just fine.  
Ragine

Ragine Hendrickson
Manufacturing Systems Inc/TRU-CATCH TRAPS
ISTECH 2004.1 10/31/06 UPDATE
Email WWW   IP Logged
rlevasseur

This forum is a
great help!!

Reply #6 - 09/22/04 at 12:41:33

Fred,

I think that would be a wonderful question for your accountant to answer. Possibly you could share what your accountant or CPA has advised to the rest of the forum. I am not an accountant, but have gained alot of experience thru working with my CPA running my own business.  

Rick

IP Logged
RAGINE

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 09/22/04 at 12:55:49

Fred,
     We have a flexible spending account set up through our health insurance company for daycare & medical reimbursement,  they act as the Plan Administrator, which is set up free by some insurance companies. This works great for us because all the re-imbursements are handled through our insurance company. The employee sends in their medical/daycare receipts directly to our insurance company, our insurance company will then fax me a voucher for payment, and when they receive the payment, the insurance company then mails the re-imbursement to the employee.  
Ragine

Ragine Hendrickson
ISTECH 2004.1 10/31/06 UPDATE
Email WWW   IP Logged
Anna
Browser

Reply #8 - 10/19/04 at 08:29:15

I entered the negative amount in the payroll deductions.  The IRA liabilities were transfered to A/P with the orginal check.  Do i just enter a credit voucher to get rid of those?
Anna

DBA Version 2004.1
  IP Logged
RAGINE

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 10/19/04 at 08:51:10

That's what I did
Ragine

Ragine Hendrickson