Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/17/24 at 04:15:05
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Service and Repair Module (Read 2631 times)
Vman

If it ain't broke,
don't fix it

Service and Repair Module
06/30/05 at 04:57:24

Being that my primary job (at least the one I was originally hired for Smiley ) is service and repair, I was very pleased to see that a service and repair module is a near-term project for Lynn and her merry band of programmers.  Can Lynn or one of the others involved give some details?  Will this be an add-on module (i.e. it costs more $$$), or is it intended to be integrated into the exsisting software?

EVO-ERP 2022.2
Build 4/22/22
Actican Zen V14 SP2 Workgroup
Win7 64-bit and Win10 Pro
WWW   IP Logged
NovaZyg
Administrator

When all else
fails.. Read the
instructions.

Re: Service and Repair Module
Reply #1 - 06/30/05 at 07:13:27

Seeing as I am writing the Service/Repair module right now, I guess I can answer you.

The new Service/Repair module will be part of the standard ISTECH updates, not an Add-on. It will start off by looking very much like SOA does now. You can enter a S/R order, have notes enter items/ kits/ F&O etc.. We also allow for a new Inventory type "S" Service/Repair type. This would be used for servicing/repairing part numbers that are not yours..
i.e. set up a part "SR100" type "S" description "Cleaning"
When a SR order saves a "S" type line it will prompt the user for Make, Model, and Serial Number(s).   All S/R orders will be kept at a new/seperate location for inventory values.

Once a SR is created then it can be processed/converted to a WO much like a SO can convert to a WO.  Then upon completion of the WO, it will generate an Invoice at whatever price is needed.

This is a quick overview of what is being done, so if users have any suggestions, now is the time..

Allen Landry
Evo~ERP

EvoERP and DBA Classic always Beta's of the Latest versions.

WWW   IP Logged
kevind

I was more than
willing to
"pony up",
how b'out U?

Reply #2 - 06/30/05 at 09:10:08

For us, it would be nice to have the ability to specify a default "flat rate repair charge" as a percentage of the base price.  This avoids the need to maintain a seperate repair price list.   We have enough work maintaining the quantity break price levels.

For example, if a service order is entered for a given Item, the default price for repairing that line item would be a percentage of the base price (suggested list for us).

Again, this would be a benifit to us because we price our flat rate repairs as a percentage of suggested list.

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation
ISTECH 2004.1 7/26/13 SP1 - 20 user
Evo-ERP Build 7/25/13 T7 -7i R6 - 3 user
(Prev version was 2004.1 10/24/12)
(All Patches Installed as of 7/26/13)
Pervasive 2000i SP4 - Crystal Reports V10
Email WWW   IP Logged
JNAPIER

Evil-Evo Bad Dog!

Reply #3 - 06/30/05 at 09:32:43

Quote from NovaZyg   on 06/30/05 at 07:13:27:
  This is a quick overview of what is being done, so if users have any suggestions, now is the time..

Having an SO type C for "CONSIGNMENT" Would be awsome. We have consignment inventory all over the country. Having a separate order type and inventory account would be great. That way you would not see it on the open order list. We started using inventory locations for awhile. You don't want to see my lisy of locations.

Thanks,

John

EVO-ERP, ISTS 3.27.08 , 2000I 10 user
Email WWW   IP Logged
NovaZyg
Administrator

When all else
fails.. Read the
instructions.

Reply #4 - 06/30/05 at 09:44:02

Ok, let me be a bit more clear.  We are looking for suggestions for the Service/Repair module.

a CONSIGNMENT type is a good idea, and one we will look into, but that is not for the S/R mod.

Allen Landry
Evo~ERP

WWW   IP Logged
wildco

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 06/30/05 at 10:41:54

"Then upon completion of the WO, it will generate an Invoice at whatever price is needed. "

Just some basic questions:

Can the S/R Orders also be released through SO-E and invoiced and shipped as normal?  

Are the part type "S" items similar to part type "N" in that they are not stocked?  Or more like "A"? "N"-style might be more useful.  Can they have a BOM?  For instance SR100 Cleaning might have 15 minutes of labor and 15 minutes of overhead and MEK solvent.  Allowing it to have a BOM would properly allocate costs.

It seems also like the S/R module would be a great fit with the RMA module, and returns in general.  We are very excited about it here.

Aaron

2004.1 with ISTECH 1/12/06
  IP Logged
Vman

If it ain't broke,
don't fix it

Reply #6 - 06/30/05 at 11:14:30

Sounds like a good start.  Something that I have run into using DBA/EVO for repairs is that the packing slip lists the parts that were used, which can be confusing to the customer.  For a packing list for repairs, it should only list the item(s) that were repaired.  The quote/acknowegement/Invoice should contain the details.  It appears that you will be using a work order to relieve inventory and account for labor and processes.  How will this work with a quote?
Another thing to look at is warranty repair.  Depending upon your terms, the customer may pay nothing, freight one/or both ways, labor only, parts only, or some combination.  Right now I use a combination of SO's and WO's to relieve inventory- not pretty.  

EVO-ERP 2022.2
Build 4/22/22
WWW   IP Logged
NovaZyg
Administrator

When all else
fails.. Read the
instructions.

Reply #7 - 06/30/05 at 12:07:30

Can the S/R Orders also be released through SO-E and invoiced and shipped as normal?  

No, we will be developing a new S/R program that will do the enter finished production, Assign a price (could be labor and parts, could be parts only or labor only, could be $0.00 due to warrenty, cold be a % of the selling price etc...)and Invoice/Post.

Our thinking is that "S" type parts will be like "F" type parts,  they can have BOMs. and Qty's but those Qty's will not be mixed with Real Inventory. That is why "S" parts will only be allowed in the S/R location and this location will not be part of the regular inventory. So it will not be part of the inventory valuation, but can be tracked seperatly for insurance purposes.

Allen Landry
Evo~ERP

WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #8 - 06/30/05 at 12:12:49

The intent of the Convert WO to Invoice program would be that the BOM of the WO would be displayed and the user could indicate which components that were used should be listed on the invoice as a reference for the customer to know what was replaced/added.  I agree, it would be confusing for the pack slip to include them.

The convert to invoice program would also have a Pricing option so if the repair was a Time and Material type job, you could price it at that time based on the actual Work Order costs.  

Hadn't thought of the Quote option but it certainly makes sense to be able to do one, either up front, or maybe after the items have been received and inspected.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Vman

If it ain't broke,
don't fix it

Reply #9 - 06/30/05 at 12:25:27

Where I work, we don't do repairs without issuing a  quote.  I've had instances in the past where the customer had a coniption(?) fit over the estimate and junked the unit.  Also, many of my customers won't issue a PO without a written estimate first.  One thing to add is that we reserve the right to charge a minimum labor fee to look at the equipment.  
  I am still a little puzzled about the value of having the S type parts.  When we repair stuff, we pull parts out of our inventory.  We assign prices to parts that are used for repairs (adding as needed).  
  I would thing that some sort of data file to keep track of what equipment was in house for repair, and its status would be handy.  Also maybe a archival log so that you could get a service/repair history of a unit or customer.
  Ya need a beta-tester? Grin

EVO-ERP 2022.2
Build 4/22/22
WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #10 - 06/30/05 at 13:23:38

The components used in the repair would be normal part numbers issued to the repair work orders from stock just like any other work order.  If you are repairing units of your own product, you would use the same finished goods part number for the Repair, thus the segregation so costs don't get muddled with finished goods costs from production.  The Type S parts would be if you had a Service Department that worked on a myriad of other product from other OEMs and didn't want a separate part number for every model you might be working on.  You could then set up one or more type S parts for generic Service activity.  When an S type is used, you will be prompted for Make/Model/Serial number which would be stored for history.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Vman

If it ain't broke,
don't fix it

Reply #11 - 07/01/05 at 03:32:41

Lynn,

I undertand better about the S type parts.  We use F&O for our finished goods... I see problems with this.   I guess we could also use S type part numbers for items that we used to make, but don't have the finished goods part numbers in the system anymore.

EVO-ERP 2022.2
Build 4/22/22
WWW   IP Logged
dameng

DBA / EVO Software
Consultant

Reply #12 - 07/04/05 at 13:00:48

i have a customer, that will not be using any of their inventory or labor.  
they will issue the RMA, recieve the item for repair and ship off to the vendor to fix/repair.  

so it sounds like this module, similiar to current practice would be to convert so to wo, assign po to wo. recieve po $$ to wo, and close out wo. then invoice so.

do not want to change the cost of the Finished Item, but do want to charge the customer for all the costs accumulated in the WO.

it sounds like this is precisely what your new service and repair module will process? providing a few shortcuts on the invoicing? and seperating the costs of repair from inventory?

thanks

Dave Mengelkamp
Digital Consulting
davemeng@earthlink.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
Vman

If it ain't broke,
don't fix it

Reply #13 - 07/05/05 at 13:01:23

I can also see how for companies that use Advanced Manufacturing where they may want to keep track of labor and resources that are being committed for repairs rather than normal production.  In some company's, your repair section is pretty self-contained, in others, some repair has to be sent out to the factory floor (for example, replacement of a surface-mount IC may be done at the one station that has the equipment, which may not be in the repair section), or to an outside vendor.  
I would think that you would want to be able to differentiate between warranty and customer-paid for service or repair.
My main experience with repair is from my time in the military, where I was in maintenance units.  One thing that might also be useful would be to assign some sort of status code to a repair (either the S/O or W/O).  If your company does a lot of repairs, or this is its primary business, then you would want to run reports that tell you what's up with an item.  For example,  an item may go from w/shop, to w/customer authorization for repair, to w/parts (if required) to in shop, to Q/C, and finally to shipping.
Of course, all this could turn a really good, simple module in to a pretty complicated mess.

« Last Edit: 07/11/05 at 11:53:14 by Vman »  

EVO-ERP 2022.2
Build 4/22/22
WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #14 - 07/05/05 at 14:24:17

Yes, the main benefit of the Generate Invoice program will be to pass the costs from the Service WO to the invoice without skewing the current on-hand cost of the same finished good that may be in stock.

As for whether it is paid-for or warranty, that will also be entered when the Generate Invoice program is run - you will have the option of a $0 invoice for warranty or to enter a price, potentially based on the costs posted to the work order.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print