Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/03/24 at 12:45:38
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Windows Vista and DBA/Evo (Read 6818 times)
Missy Burke
Browser

Windows Vista and DBA/Evo
02/02/07 at 12:23:07

Hi,

Just wondering if DBA and/or Evo were compatible with Windows Vista?

Missy Burke
Awareness Technology, Inc.
Evo 2015.2
Pervasive 10/Win2008/Client-server
43 Full/5 DC Users
Email WWW   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Re: Windows Vista and DBA/Evo
Reply #1 - 02/02/07 at 12:35:27

No, there is a bug in Vista. They are recalling the OS due to its incompatibility with Evo~ERP. They plan to release a Linux-based version of Windows (named 'Lindows' *) instead. The new OS will be fully compatible with all versions of Windows, Linux, MacOS, and DOS (back to 2.0, sorry DOS 1 fans), will fit on a single CD, will retail for $12.95 (including a free coffee mug).  

[* after all, they did pay lawyers (and European judges) 30 million clams to wrest that name from Linspire, so they might as well use it.]

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #2 - 02/02/07 at 13:37:32

Heh, I got a kick out of that. Smiley I really do wish that Evo WOULD run on linux. Actually, it probably could, it's the other software we need to use that won't...

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

EvoERP Version 1-22-10 SP3
5 User Workgroup Pervasive 10
Email WWW   IP Logged
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Reply #3 - 02/02/07 at 15:12:09

Good one, GG!  I like it!!! Grin

Actually, someone did get it working on Linux using postgresql I think, right???

I'm going to try it (one of these days when everyone leaves me alone to do some real work!)

Val

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #4 - 02/02/07 at 16:56:23

I doubt that they got it working using PostgreSQL as it's not compatible with BTrieve in the least bit. I actually have toyed with the idea of writing a wrapper that translates BTrieve calls to PostgreSQL but it would be complicated and I'm not sure if I can see enough use for doing it.

I have tried running Evo in linux using WINE and it hasn't worked for me so far. But PervasiveSQL won't install in WINE for me so I'd bet that has something to do with it. I've tried to manually install it but no dice yet.

That having been said, I'd be very interested if someone has actually got it working in linux especially if they used PostgreSQL. That'd be one less thing for me to trying writing. Wink

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
dlm2090
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 02/06/07 at 08:47:10

DBA does work with Vista, at least it starts up I haven't run into problems yet.

EVO, Won't work, it stops the runtime module.

Is there a fix coming?

Dave embarrassed embarrassed

IP Logged
Tim Goldstein

'Cause sooner or
later everyone needs
a chief geek

Reply #6 - 02/06/07 at 11:33:24

Tested Vista Business and EVO doesn't work.  But DBA does.

I have gotten DBA to work under WINE (windows under Linux) but haven't tested.  just opened and closed DBA.

Have also gotten it to work with  xPE on linux.  However, don't ask how as you can't afford the build time or the degregation on the system.

Tim
Email WWW timgolds timgolds   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #7 - 02/12/07 at 08:48:24

OK, I got Evo to work in Vista but I am not sure exactly what made it work.  Even though I had a single user stand alone copy, I shared the folder with full control and I right clicked on the EVOERP.EXE in the folder and selected Run As Administrator.  Once I had done that once, then after that it appears to work fine.  I can also connect from the Vista work station to the server and that runs fine too.

There is a patch you need from Pervasive for PSQL 9 Workgroup to run on Vista and there is a good white paper at http://www.pervasive.com/documentation/whitepapers/pdf/WP1206B_PSQLv9_Vista.pdf that explains some of the security junk which is what prompted me to try the Run As Administrator.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #8 - 02/12/07 at 10:19:14

It's good news that you were able to get it to run but I hope that eventually somebody will be able to figure out how to run it without having to give it super user rights. That sort of defeats the purpose of having user accounts in the first place.

We all knew Vista was going to be a nightmare come true. It's even worse for the CAD/CAM apps that have to be run here.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #9 - 02/12/07 at 11:23:23

I only had to do the "Run as Administrator" once, then the regular icon worked.  But there are still security issues we will need to address.  I haven't got the email to work yet and I haven't played with having multiple users on the Vista station but at least if it works, we will be able to push forward.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
tbolick
Browser

ISTech Subscriber

Reply #10 - 03/13/07 at 07:51:55

So in conclusion, I have to do ?what? to run DBA Classic on Vista?

Install PSQL9 client instead of PSQL 2000 client?  So far I have been unable to get DBA to run.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #11 - 03/13/07 at 13:54:08

You can't just install the PSQL 9 client on one station.  You have to upgrade the entire network.  Can't mix Pervasive versions.  That said, I did talk to somebody yesterday who was running DBA Classic and PSQL 2000 on a Vista workstation so it looks to be possible.  Definitely not a supported configuration but he was doing it.

What error do you get when you try?

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
tbolick
Browser

ISTech Subscriber

Reply #12 - 03/13/07 at 19:20:44

Last time I tried, I got a reboot.

I'll try again when I get the chance and see if I can track it down better.

Tom...

IP Logged
Nancy_SP
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 07/13/11 at 11:43:47

Quote from awaretec on 02/02/07 at 12:23:07:
Hi,

Just wondering if DBA and/or Evo were compatible with Windows Vista?

We have one work station with Vista, been working for 3 years, not much different than xp.
except the different window view and you get that stupid flag every time you open something, I know you can fix the flag in Vista but then you put computer at risk. Cool

IP Logged
Nancy_SP
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 12/06/11 at 11:47:49

We are running DBA Classic 2004.1 with 05/17/11 SP1 and pervasive 2000i, 6 users
We have 1 workstation with Vista, all others and server are XP Pro, We have been using this one Vista station for about 4 years. It works as good as the rest. XP Pro has been the best for us and I like it much better. Xp is a downgrade for Vista. hahaha, would love to downgrade. Person has administator rights on Vista workstation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print