Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
03/29/24 at 03:04:23
News:
Home Help Search Login

Poll
Question: Should DBA Classic be Frozen with the current feature set?

Yes - We Don't use Classic at all anymore  
  25 (27.1%)
Yes - but we sometimes use Classic anyway  
  28 (30.4%)
Yes - We will replace any PC's we need to  
  2 (2.1%)
No - We need replace too many PC's now to use EVO  
  7 (7.6%)
No - We Have tried EVO, but we are not ready  
  12 (13%)
No - We Have NOT tried EVO yet  
  18 (19.5%)
Kevin picked stupid Options Sad  
  0 (0%)

Total votes: 92
« Last Modified by: on: 03/08/07 at 08:06:20 »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re: Wiki vr Classic Version (Read 14829 times)
NovaZyg
Administrator

When all else
fails.. Read the
instructions.

Re: Wiki vr Classic Version
03/07/07 at 13:45:30

We are not planning on dropping the Classic product. Unless All our users just tell us to (I doubt that will ever happen). However there are thing that we are doing to the Evo versions of the program that we cannot do to the Classic version.

There are two things working against Classic. One is the compiler has a limit to memory size and quit a few of the programs are at that very limit.  Two, it is a DOS compiler.. it does not do handle windows things like Email and the Mouse , and multi tasking, etc..  

But it will continue to run and we are cleaning up the bug in both versions..

Allen Landry
Evo~ERP

EvoERP and DBA Classic always Beta's of the Latest versions.

WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #1 - 03/07/07 at 16:40:04

For what it's worth I'd say good riddance to bad rubbish and trash DBA Classic. Even large companies have a hard time in keeping multiple versions of products updated. I would have to say that you really do not have the sort of resources necessary to keep two huge code bases up to date. Just look at the number of problem reports that have been submitted in the past month or so. You really feel like sorting out which of them pertain to both, and testing both versions? Do you really think that it's a wise idea to try to be all things to all people? I really believe that your time would be best spent maintaining ONE product and not two. For one, needing to maintain one codebase instead of two would provide more time to fix Evo. Even if it only takes 25% more time to update classic as well. That's 25% more time you could spend making sure that Evo won't crash like a racecar with bald tires and a blind driver speeding down a curvy greased track. Wink

All of that is to say, more succinctly, you'd be crazy to try to keep updating both products. Please stick with one.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

EvoERP Version 1-22-10 SP3
5 User Workgroup Pervasive 10
Email WWW   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Reply #2 - 03/08/07 at 05:16:07

I think that IS Tech would be well justified in freezing Classic at the current version and offering only bug patches for that system going forward. It is time for Evo to split off on its own path where any further addition of new features, meaning a new "version", would no longer be bundled as a dual system with Classic. I have made Classic unavailable to my users, I did that without warning them, I did it months ago, and yet I have had exactly zero complaints. Long live Evo~ERP, kiss Classic goodbye  kiss

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #3 - 03/08/07 at 06:17:20

My opinion is that if you want new software versions you should be willing to pay the piper. One should not expect that programs coming out in the current day will properly run on old hardware. Pentium 3 machines have been out for around 8 years now. They run Evo perfectly well. If you are still using 233Mhz P2 machines then you'll probably be stuck with old software. It just stands to reason. One can purchase a good P3 machine for well under $100. This is well worth it. For EVO to properly move forward it will be necessary to focus on one product.

GasGiant's suggestion of bug fixes only for Classic is a good one. Even still, bug fixes would probably logically come to an end someday. All companies put a sunset on bug fixes for old programs. Think of it this way, if you are running DBA Classic on NT4: When was the last time you saw a new update for NT4? Quite a while huh? It's unreasonable to expect a software company to drag an old worn out sick horse along for the ride.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
Charlie Klihr

Custom Transformer
Manufacturing

Reply #4 - 03/08/07 at 06:32:03

I don't think it's a matter of hardware. All 25 of our computers are capable of running EVO. However, the cost to change over to EVO is not insignificant, and must be considered. So far I haven't seen any overpowering advantage to switch. Classic still has bugs. EVO has bugs, and I'm not sure which has fewer problems. I wonder how many DBA users have switched to EVO.

Charlie (I'm Too Old For This) Klihr
DBA Classic 2004.1, ISTS 12/28/13
25 Users
Evo~Erp 14 Users, Build- 01/02/14 T7-7iR6
PSQL v11
Crystal Reports v7.0
Windows Server 2008 R2
Email WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #5 - 03/08/07 at 06:55:55

Quote from Charlie Klihr on 03/08/07 at 06:32:03:
I don't think it's a matter of hardware. All 25 of our computers are capable of running EVO. However, the cost to change over to EVO is not insignificant, and must be considered. So far I haven't seen any overpowering advantage to switch. Classic still has bugs. EVO has bugs, and I'm not sure which has fewer problems. I wonder how many DBA users have switched to EVO.

Yeah, it's perfectly reasonable to need to consider the software cost. As far as hardware costs go though, I think everyone should already be using machines fast enough to run Evo.

Of course, if they discontinued support for Classic that would be a big motivation to upgrade to Evo. Wink

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
karjon
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 03/16/07 at 04:47:40

Would like to use EVO but everytime I try I end up going back to Classic because EVO hangs up and I have to shut down.  
I am the only one who is using it at all, everyone else took one look at it and went on using classic.

IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Reply #7 - 03/16/07 at 05:51:04

Our change over from DBA to Evo happened in stages and included a bit of user training, but our users would never go back. Evo was not as stable as DBA at first, but it certainly is in the version that we use today. The lookups and drill downs have increased productivity for a number of my users. The editable RTMs are helping us to ween ourselves from external tools, which also speeds the flow.  

Another benefit I have found is the editable menus. Most of our users need only a few features and they would get lost and confused wading through lots of menus. They were afraid of doing something wrong, so I had a lot of support calls that started, "What was the feature I used to get that report I ran last month?" Now I've removed unused features from user's menus and they are happier. Plus, when a new person starts, I just give the nube a minimal feature set and the learning curve comes waaaay down.

If it weren't for Evo we'd have abandoned this product a year ago.

« Last Edit: 03/16/07 at 08:31:18 by GasGiant »  

callclay
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 03/16/07 at 08:24:19

We only use Classic.  We tried EVO but had too many problems with reports not running or features not working properly.  But I voted freeze Classic.  We can live with what we have in Classic.  There's no need to try to improve it.  The future will be with EVO and that's where the effort should go.  We will try EVO again in the near future and see if it is more stable and the features weneed all the time work for us.  Meantime, Classic works fine.

IP Logged
ReliantMold
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 03/16/07 at 11:23:31

I tried EVO for a bit around a 1-1/2 years ago, the only problem then was it was slow to load the windows where DBA flies, and no its not my server or laptop as they are udgraded every year! No wireless either. Has this been fixed, if so I would like the try EVO again!

Dave

IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Reply #10 - 03/16/07 at 11:47:21

A lot has changed about Evo in that time. Yes, speed has many improved in several areas. One of the secrets to start-up speed is to reduce the number of menu options, since the menus build at start up (use TAS-G to remove unused features). There have also been things discovered, like the fact that many corporate anti-virus programs will check every module, every time it loads. That can be shut off and load speed jumps dramatically.

dawn@comfortfoods.

No...no...don't make
me go into edit
database!

Reply #11 - 03/16/07 at 12:07:23

The only thing we use Classic for is to combine customers as this was not available in EVO.  (Not sure if it is available now or not.)

My vote is to freeze Classic, continue to provide bug fixes to it but focus on EVO.  However, I don't know how big ISTECH's customer base is that primarily uses Classic.  I suppose that would be a large factor in the decision.

Dawn

Dawn Johnson
Executive Vice President
Comfort Foods Inc
Gourmet Food Manufacturer

EVO - Update 3/27/2008
Email WWW   IP Logged
JAM1967
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 03/22/07 at 07:43:22

I am absolutely astonished by the comment of KKMFG who said “good riddance to bad rubbish and trash DBA Classic”.  I have installed DBA Classic 5 times and found it to be one of the best packages around.  I have found, time and time again, that DBA can handle situations that other, more expensive systems (named below) cannot.  It has some glitches but I have been able to easily work around these.  

I have many years experience in manufacturing operations using ERP systems and DBA is much superior to other systems such as Made2Manage, Avante and JD Edwards, which were all pretty bad.  MAS90 is a fairly good product but not as good as DBA Classic.  Intuitive ERP and JobBOSS are excellent packages but cost 10 times what DBA costs (as does the other four systems I mentioned).  JobBOSS is top class when used for component manufacture, but a bit clumsy when making complex assemblies.

I have not tried out EVO ERP for about 2 years but decided against it at that time, basically because clients did not like the “look and feel” of it.  I have not had a chance to review any EVO enhancements over the last 2 years or so, as I have been very busy, but I have written Lynn a couple of times encouraging her to complete EVO as quickly as possible.  If she develops a product which has the functionality of DBA Classic, in a truer Windows environment, she will have a world beater, in my opinion.  The one area where most of the above mentioned ERP systems are superior to DBA Classic is that they have a slicker GUI, although to be fair, this is something that has never bothered me or my clients.

In this latter respect I do agree with KKMFG that Lynn should focus her efforts on EVO and just offer bug fixes for Classic.  I also agree with “callclay’s” comments.

« Last Edit: 03/23/07 at 07:12:22 by JAM1967 »  

John Mannion
Alba Consulting
www.albaca.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #13 - 03/22/07 at 09:30:45

Quote from JAM1967 on 03/22/07 at 07:43:22:
I am absolutely astonished by the comment of KKMFG who said “good riddance to bad rubbish and trash DBA Classic”. I have installed DBA Classic 5 times and found it to be one of the best packages around. I have found, time and time again, that DBA can handle situations that other, more expensive systems (named below) cannot. It has some glitches but I have been able to easily work around these.

I have many years experience in manufacturing operations using ERP systems and DBA is much superior to other systems such as Made2Manage, Avante and JD Edwards, which were all pretty bad. MAS90 is a fairly good product but not as good as DBA Classic. Intuitive ERP and JobBOSS are excellent packages but cost 10 times what DBA costs (as does the other four systems I mentioned). JobBOSS is top class when used for component manufacture, but a bit clumsy when making complex assemblies.

If that's the case then apparently I should have gotten into writing financial software a few years back when I had the chance. I seriously doubt that I could have done worse than the junk software people are describing out there. It's a sad comment on the financial software field when a program that crashes daily on at least one person and has weird other glitches is considered a lot better than other packages. I sort of still like it but I'm not about to ask anyone else here what they think of it. Sad If it's any indication the users here have taken to renaming the Evo icon to either 'Enter at your own risk' or 'Evil DBA'

Quote:

I have not tried out EVO ERP for about 2 years but decided against it at that time, basically because clients did not like the “look and feel” of it. I have not had a chance to review any EVO enhancements over the last 2 years or so, as I have been very busy, but I have written Lynn a couple of times encouraging her to complete EVO as quickly as possible. If she develops a product which has the functionality of DBA Classic, in a truer Windows environment, she will have a world beater, in my opinion. The one area where most of the above mentioned ERP systems are superior to DBA Classic is that they have a slicker GUI, although to be fair, this is something that has never bothered me or my clients.

Well, the reason I dont like Classic and think it should be dumped is that Evo is just like Classic V2. It's pretty much everything classic was but (hopefully) more stable and definitely prettier. Why continue to update an old product when you've got a new version? It makes no sense at all.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
JAM1967
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 03/22/07 at 09:53:20

I think we are violently agreeing !!!

I do agree with you wholeheartedly that Lynn should just continue with bug fixes for Classic and get EVO completed as soon as possible.

Also it is more difficult to sell Classic when one has to explain to a potential client that DBA has dropped this 'great' system (i.e. Classic) in favor of Next Generation (which I worked on for 10 weeks and drove me crazy 'cos the MRP and scheduling does not work).  So the sooner EVO is complete the better, and that will be accomplished sooner if Lynn just focuses her development efforts on one system - i.e. EVO.

Regards

John Mannion
Alba Consulting
www.albaca.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print