Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/15/24 at 00:22:00
News:
Home Help Search Login

Poll
Question: Would you like to see a catagory dedicated to RTM's.

Yes, sounds great!
No, too many catagories already.

« Created by: deburr on: 02/04/09 at 14:34:59 »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
All in favor of a catagory for Report Writer (Read 11107 times)
EMI Ann

Non calor sed umor
est qui nobis
incommodat.

Re: All in favor of a catagory for Report Writer
Reply #15 - 03/04/09 at 08:12:11

Well, Golly, I guess I am not making my point very well. We should not have to go outside of Evo to write reports based on Evo data. We should not have to learn or buy or set up or export to another piece of software to do what a powerful system like Evo should already be able to do. We should have a report writer within each module that allows us to take any of the data fields pertinent to that module and create/customize/save the reports we want using the sort orders and supporting data fields we want, excluding what we don't want. I want the process to be simple, like choosing pieces of candy from a Whitman Sampler by using the box lid. Does it sound like I want the moon? It shouldn't, because I experienced an excellent writer in a 1991 DOS sales order/invoice program (which I'll share with anyone who wants a look), and if it was possible to that extent then, what marvelous things could be done now? Even if it were to just ape the writer in that old one, I think we'd all be writing our own reports in nuthin' flat, and tickled pink with the results. That's my point. Make a good, easy-to-use report writer (not merely an appearance modifier) part of Evo.

EMI FILTER COMPANY
Clearwater, Florida
EVO-Erp 2015.1, Win 8.1 Pro, Win 2008 network
  IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Reply #16 - 03/04/09 at 08:47:37

There are probably 60 modules into which you'd need to tie, several hundred fields, then a form editor, plus the time to duplicate the current reports in the new system. Yes, it does sound a bit ambitious.

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #17 - 03/04/09 at 09:52:53

Anything like that could be done one module at a time so it's not as terrible an ordeal as you might suggest... on that front. However, I've seen TAS and I'm a member of the TAS list and forum. Quite frankly I wouldn't think TAS is up to the task at all. Also, writing a decent report system isn't that easy either. So it's not so bad on one front and bad on two others.  

Now, maybe something like Jasper could be embedded within Evo to do what EMI Ann wants. It's pretty feature rich and mature. But it would require being able to use the Delphi underpinnings and TAS extension capabilities to embed Jasper. Can it be done? I don't know. Personally, I wouldn't trust TAS to take housesit a dead dog. Maybe I'm just a programming language elitist...

I think the best bet would be to find an open source reporting system and come up with some sort of EVO-izer to make it custom fit to Evo. Then tie it as tightly as possible to Evo. This, however, requires someone to do this and also keep the underlying open source report system up to date while still maintaining the evo link. Any takers on that one?

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

EvoERP Version 1-22-10 SP3
5 User Workgroup Pervasive 10
Email WWW   IP Logged
deburr

Reply #18 - 03/04/09 at 13:40:40

In reply to Ann, I don't disagree, but I would just like to mention that DBA understood that short coming of not having reports that exactly met all the user needs years ago. They made a deal with Crystal reports and offered a custom DBA version for a steeply reduced price. That is how I came to my version of Crystal reports. It does what you need with a relatively short learning curve. The bigger problem is learning where all the data is.  

The problem I have with using Crystal reports is, it is run outside of EvoERP, and it would be nice to be able to run those reports through a menu item in the EVO interface.  

Not than any of this helps you out, but I just wanted to mention that they did at one time offer a report writer.

Thanks,

Steve Cyr
Deburring House Inc.
EVOERP
Version 2018.2
PSQL 12

Email   IP Logged
NovaZyg
Administrator

When all else
fails.. Read the
instructions.

Reply #19 - 03/04/09 at 15:38:52

If you are compiling your Crystal Reports to an EXE.  You can add them to your Evo Menu... Evo Menu can call RUN, RWN, and EXE

Allen Landry
Evo~ERP

EvoERP and DBA Classic always Beta's of the Latest versions.

WWW   IP Logged
EMI Ann

Non calor sed umor
est qui nobis
incommodat.

Reply #20 - 03/05/09 at 07:49:46

Wow! Such a firestorm I've started! Admittedly, I don't know the quirks of TAS - a code poet I am not. I do agree with the one module at a time thing, and finding what info lives where is the hard part for the user. However, there is already a partial build on a customizable report writing program in S-SO-O-J and in S-SA-M. The architecture already exists in system. When you use those writers, though, you are given a short list of primary sort parameters that were selected by whomever using whatever logic path had been agreed upon at the time. Open that up wider, and let the users select what they want from the get-go. Imagine, if you will, a page of columns and rows. First column lists perhaps 25 fields ( a number I pulled out of my nose). Some are data fields such as PO number, some are optionables such as date brackets. Second column lets you put an X next to the one you want to have be the primary sort parameter. Third column lets you put an X next to the one you want to be the second sort parameter. Fourth column lets you choose print order on the report by entering numbers in the rows of the fields you want. Maybe you'll want 9 items on one report, and 6 on another. You get to choose. Test run, selecting portrait or landscape format. Tweak, save and name. Since there are already reports in Evo that are "written in stone" as well as semi-customizable ones, the machinery for sorting and compiling the data is already there. To use a manufacturing analogy, the bowl feeders and chutes are already there. Let us fill the bowls we want with what we want and point the chutes where we want them to go. Glad to see such lively conversation on this topic! Ideas are the seeds from which great things grow.

EMI FILTER COMPANY
Clearwater, Florida
EVO-Erp 2015.1, Win 8.1 Pro, Win 2008 network
  IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #21 - 03/05/09 at 08:51:40

If you start with SA-M/N or the clones SO-O-J/K, there is already a User Defined Sort option that allows you to select up to 10 different sort and sub-sort fields and, since it is an RTM based report, in Evo you can edit the RTM and put whatever columns on the report you want from any of the files that are open which would include the order/invoice, customer, and on the detail reports, inventory.  IN-H, AP-J and AR-J offer the same capability for inventory, vendor and customer lists to edit the RTM and change the columns, and while they do not have the sort and subsort User Defined options there are a number of selection options on the main screen.  We recently (since the 12/21 update) released an Evo RTM version of PR-I to allow for the same kind of flexibility in payroll.  Also, since they are RTM report, you can send them to Excel and then manipulate further.

Make sure your Evo menu is calling T6INH.RUN (IN-H), T7APJ.RWN (AP-J) and T7ARG.RWN (AR-G) and email me if you would like a copy of the payroll report.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print