Send Topic Print
Virtual Servers (Read 1924 times)
dlmanges
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Virtual Servers
11/02/09 at 07:23:19

Anyone try running DBA/EVO in a Virtual Server.  I'm thinking of trying it. Cool

IP Logged
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Re: Virtual Servers
Reply #1 - 11/02/09 at 09:34:36

I would be interested in knowing. I have two new servers to implement, and the new version of the OS we run is now virutualized, running on top of a SLES box.  Wanted to know how well Evo ran in a virtualized environment with Pervasive.

Val

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
skyywalker

Use [the] Force
Luke!

Reply #2 - 11/02/09 at 13:34:59

I've successfully hosted DBA/Evo on the following virtual 'servers': NetWare 5, 6.0, 6.5, 6.6, Windows XP, 2000 Server, 2003 Server and 2008 Server.  No problem with any of them.

For VM software I've used VMware WorkStation 4.x, 5.x & 6.x, VMware Server 1.x & 2.x as well as M$ Virtual PC (all versions).

All of these used Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro, Vista Ultimate 64bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (yes, I'm running it now) as their host machine.

They ALL RAN fine.

Today, my personal preference is VMware Workstation 6.x running either NetWare 6.6 or Windows 2008 Server with XP Pro as the host.  
==

Hey Lynn - thanks for forward this thread to me  Wink

Malcolm Boykin
Hectech Support, LLC
  IP Logged
dlmanges
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 11/02/09 at 14:49:52

Thanks for the info, I have Micorosoft virtual server, I try that on windows 7 64 bit and see how she goes.

IP Logged
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Reply #4 - 11/03/09 at 08:43:39

We'll be running OES2 (Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 sp1) with Netware 6.5 sp8 running as a paravirtualized guest inside the with the Xen Hypervisor.  Have you tried that config yet?

Val

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
skyywalker

Use [the] Force
Luke!

Reply #5 - 11/03/09 at 14:29:59

No, unfortunately i haven't...at least not with any success.  I was trying to test it with PSQL 9 but had problems installing it.  Time hasn't permitted me to try again.

I'll put it back on my list of things to do!  Wink

On the other hand, I've run NW6 as a guest in VMware and XEN is supposed to have a smaller footprint, so I'd imagine that it SHOULD run even better.

Malcolm Boykin
Hectech Support, LLC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print