Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/05/24 at 02:02:38
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Updating/supporting DBA Clasic 2000.1 PF5 on NT (Read 1914 times)
rcox
Browser

Updating/supporting DBA Clasic 2000.1 PF5 on NT
09/18/13 at 13:17:34

I'm probably running the oldest version of DBA around...  My workers do not want to update.  I support the systems and own the company.  We run DBA 2000.1 PF5 on a NT4 server with Pervasive 2000i.  I have run the clients on everything from Win 98 to now Win 8.  It runs OK, just nothing new and checks don't print except one at a time.  I have a lot of invoicing problems not being able to make invoices look the way the customers want them.  We have to make a lot of manual invoices.  We still use the DBA Classic accounting including the payroll (problems keeping the pay tax deductions correct)  The new RMA features would be nice??  And product Serial Number tracking (including child parts in top lever systems)??  Lynn.. You have been to our facility in the past.

This week our DBA NT server crashed (boot disk).  I had a backup up NT4 server ready to put in place and this go us back running.  But now what...  Make/fix another NT backup server??  Or just tell everyone we are updating...  If we update, to what??  Current DBA Classic or Evo-ERP, or look at new/old DBA company offerings (Manufacturing Answer??, forgot name)??  Will our data files (DBA2000.1) work with the new istechsupport offerings??  What Windows Server (do I need a server to run the pervasive DB server software??) and Pervasive Server version should I get if I buy new today??  Will new server software work with my VER2000.1 DBA software??  

Where do I look for a good rundown of the differences with what IS tech Support offers now and what we are currently using (DBA2000.1)

Robert Cox
Autotest Co.
San Antonio, TX

Email WWW   IP Logged
shadowcaster

I'm not here because
I know what to do.

Re: Updating/supporting DBA Clasic 2000.1 PF5 on N
Reply #1 - 09/18/13 at 18:13:10

My 2 cents

Buy a refurbished server from evertek.   www.evertek.com    Sometimes they have have HP rack servers for cheap.  (like an HP DL380 350 bucks)  fill it up with drives and set it up as a raid 5 with a hot spare.

Put server 2008r2 on there with pervasive 11 64 bit.  We have NT and win 7 clients. I think you will have to forgo the 98 machines.  You can get cheap workstations at evertek too. I recommend the HP workstations. Fast, powerful and low cost. You can get them with win 7 for about the cost of win 7 alone.

Get pervasive 11 and update your dba convert a few evo seats for a taste of the future.

users can run classic if they have to and a few power users will love evo.

get mozy pro for backups so you never have to think about tape backup again.

WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #2 - 09/19/13 at 08:15:02

Your files will work with our updates but it will be a 2 step process to get there.  I have a couple of PDFs outlining the enhancements we have added over the past 10 years since DBA stopped providing updates.  

http://www.istechsupport.com/evoerp.pdf and http://www.istechsupport.com/DBAClassicUpdates.pdf

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
rcox
Browser

Reply #3 - 09/19/13 at 09:35:25

Thanks a lot for the hardware/software advice and the links..  This will be very usefull...  

The change to win2008R2 and Pervasive 11 seems stright forware..  I am a little confused about the updating of our old DBA to a current DBA classic and EVO.  If we update the DBA program files and data will we have to stop using the DBA 2000.1 we are currently running??  Is that true or can we still use 2000.1 (if we want to) and current DBA Classis, EVO with the same new server and data files??

Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #4 - 09/19/13 at 10:25:15

If you update DBA then you will be running DBA Version 2004.1 with IS Tech Updates through the current version (now 7/25/13).  That is what updating means.  You will not be running 2000.1 anymore but your data will all still be intact and will be updated to the current version.  If you like, I can send a temporary license and you can update a copy or we can load a test copy of the current version so you can see what it is like.  Your old version will work on the new server with the new Pervasive if you choose not to update.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
rcox
Browser

Reply #5 - 09/19/13 at 13:14:03

Lynn..  All this looks good, I'm sure we are working in a cave man way using DBA 2000.1, but my users so far have seen nothing in new updates to make them feel things will be much better (I have not shown them the links you just sent, it was reviewed a year or two ago.)  

From my prospective as the companies CEO, I note that we have problems creating invoices to customers.  Our orders are large and maybe complex, invoice timing and amounts (pre payments and progress payments) can be hard to predict at order entry (the engineer doing order entry is more concerned about what is ordered and how we are going to make the order, than how we are going to get paid for it).  Many times the order changes before it is finished and the invoice amounts and invoice schedules can change.  To me, I would like something that can make invoices on a SO for any amount and simply have notes to describe the new invoice line items and be able to show the total amount of the order and how much has already been paid from the customer it we want to show these items (different customers want invoices to be different forms).  To me invoicing should be separate from sales order entry if necessary??  Do I make since??  Now we have to make manual invoices to show the customers what we need to to get paid the correct payments.  Then if causes accounting problems since they are not in DBA...  I'm sure I am leaving things out.

Warranty & Field Service is another area we have not been able to use DBA for at all.  We had an in-house database system for a while but that has been scrapped for years now; service just does it by hand, Excel, or word files.  We would like to track all items shipped to customers by a serial numbers (some are our serial numbers and some are our suppliers numbers).  This includes sub level parts having different serial numbers than the top item.  The sub level part serial numbers can change as items are repaired, replaced or updated...  We would like to issue RMA's for sub level parts by serial number (of course the part number and maybe dates, rev levels also??).  Then when we send out a new or repaired sub lever part we would like to track the warranty for this replaced sub part...  Again..  Do I make sense..  I am not the service department.

Also tracking top-level systems as locations of owners, factories, responsible personnel, address, phone numbers, e-mail addresses...  all change, we have no database to track all this…  

Also Job Costing is always a problem…

Does the new EVO help in these areas??

Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #6 - 09/19/13 at 20:59:19

I am not sure I understand the entirety of what you are asking but I will answer the best I can.

1.  If you need to invoice for progress billings prior to shipment, given what you have described which is different from a simple 50% Deposit required (or similar), I would suggest creating a type N part for Prepayment.  Once the engineers have entered the order for the product and accounting determines a prepayment or deposit is required, enter 2 additional lines on the sales order for the Prepayment - one for +1 and one for -1 of the amount to be invoiced.  Process the invoice for the +1 and leave the -1 behind as a credit on the order when the product is ultimately billed.  You can do this as many times as needed for any order to track the progress billings.
2.  RMA and Service/Repair are new modules but the serial number linking of components to parents is not there yet.  We have designed it but it hasn't made it to the top of the programming priority pile yet.
3.  We do have unlimited contact, phone and email information per customer in Evo-ERP

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print