Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/04/24 at 08:45:21
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Delete default company? to speed update (Read 1196 times)
Laura Oliver

Delete default company? to speed update
07/12/18 at 13:59:40

For some unknown reason (long ago)  I obviously disobeyed the instructions which clearly states that if you only have one company it should be your default company.

We only have one business but somehow I have 3 companies in DBA.      I use company (12).  Company (57) is a back-up made in 2012  and I also see a default company.   I am wanting to do a much needed update and thought I needed to delete company (57) to speed things up.    I went to UT-I and tried to delete (57) but I am told that "one of more logons have access to (57) and that i need to go to PS-C and remove that access"   When I go to PS-C I see that I am the only one with access to company (57).

Questions;  
(1)  if I delete my logon access to company (57) can i still delete company (57) UT-I?
(2)  Can I (should I?) delete the default company since the instructions clearly say I should only have one company but that would leave me with company (12) and when i go through the archives i see things like "it points to the default company"    If I delete the default company will company (12) become my default company?  

I am trying to get all my ducks in a row before i do this update because I want it to go as smooth and fast as possible.

Thanks
Laura

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
btaylor
Browser

Re: Delete default company? to speed update
Reply #1 - 07/13/18 at 12:52:13

I really can't help with your main questions because I have never encountered your issue but in looking at how far back your version goes I would say do whatever you can to get it down to only one company. There are some large files that will be rebuilt and you definitely don't want to sit through that for multiple companies. I keep a test company but unless someone is in the middle of some serious testing I always remove it before updating and just recreate it after the update.

Not sure how often (or if) you archive SOs and WOs but I would also add that if you don't regularly, archive both at least up through the end of 2017. That will save you a lot of time as well so you don't have to sit there while the update does it.

Email   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #2 - 07/14/18 at 05:32:40

You can not delete the Default company and you should also have a company 99 located in a subfolder named TESTDATA (not 99).  Neither of these companies will slow down the update process because they don't have data.  If you delete your access to the 57 company you will be able to delete it.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #3 - 07/16/18 at 06:41:47

But I am not allowed to delete company 57 because I  do have access to.    

Also my data is in company 12 and not my default company....  Or is 12 really my default company?
how do I get back to just one company?    
Thanks
Laura  

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #4 - 07/16/18 at 07:43:42

You can't get to 1.  You need at least 2 (the "B" company in the DEFAULT folder and "B99" in TESTDATA) and in your case you will have 3 since your live company is the "B12" company.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #5 - 07/16/18 at 15:48:36

Okay....   So how do I get back to two companies?  

I would like to have just B_Company and B99.    BUT I have never had a test company .....  I must have set it up wrong in 1997.  

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
btaylor
Browser

Reply #6 - 07/17/18 at 05:11:24

Why not just leave it the way it is? Company 99 has nothing in it and it will not affect your update speed. I have Default, B99, and our working company, B30. I also created a test company (B90), which is a copy of our working company. Like I said above, unless someone is running some longer term testing I delete it before updating so I don't have to watch all those large tables get rebuilt twice (once for B30 and again for B90). Leaving B99 and Default don't affect update time since there is really nothing in there. If you can just get rid of your B57 you should be fine.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print