Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/03/24 at 02:51:27
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Data folder cleanup tips  Main folder vs Root (Read 1022 times)
Laura Oliver

Data folder cleanup tips  Main folder vs Root
12/14/19 at 10:47:29

The overview instructions for the data cleanup tips mentions "the main DBA folder"    and tip#7 mentions "the root DBA folder"    
I thought the main folder was the one that i backup everyday that has the same name as the company number.  I am not sure what the DBA root folder is?
And I am not sure how these two interact with the Default folder?    How can I understand the purpose of these three folders?

Folder 12 is my current company data and the files types are B12 File.   (this is the one i back up everyday)
Test Data Folder has file types B99 file
Default Folder has B file  (which for some reason also has lots of current year activity)  that i didn't know to backup.

The Default file (which I don't use) has 8 random files with 8 random dates from 2019  and lots of files from 12/22/2018 which is when I think Lynn did an upgrade for us.   And then it goes all the way back to 2012 which is when we moved to our new server.

The files we use everyday are B12 files and I think most folks use plain ole B files.  

Which of these is root and which is main?

Any insight is much appreciated.  

Thanks
Laura Oliver  
I do not think i should attempt #7 if I dont understand the purpose of the 3 folders,  root, main and default.    
Thanks

« Last Edit: 12/14/19 at 13:49:05 by Laura Oliver »  

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Re: Data folder cleanup tips  Main folder vs Root
Reply #1 - 12/15/19 at 16:09:23

Root is the DBAMFG (no subfolder) which should be backed up in its entirety periodically but not necessarily every day.  The root folder contains your license files, modified RTMs and Evo menu files.  The DEFAULT subfolder is the primary company intended to have been used as your company when you started using the program.  Even if you created a different company, the DEFAULT subfolder contains your users, passwords and DBA security definition.  In your case your company is the B12 files in the 12 subfolder and that is what should be backed up daily as you are.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #2 - 12/16/19 at 13:07:31

Thanks!

If i am not using company B.  (we use B12) why is there new  recent B files created  in the default folder?

Laura

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #3 - 12/23/19 at 10:36:36

There are some files in the DEFAULT company that are used regardless of the company you are using.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print